View Poll Results: Would you like try for staying in the same level?
Let's try to keep us altogether. 16 94.12%
Let us pick our own loop & rate level. 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #421
H2K
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Sidney , Ohio
I'm bringing a fire pit. Ours matches the "approved" Disney design.

Bad news-just got a Kindle. There are about 130 Disney related books that can be ordered. I've ordered one and have my eyes on two more.

You asked earlier what dining experiences we wanted to try. We have done character breakfasts at Chef Mickey, Crystal Palace, and Park Fare (GF). I can recommend the get together at the Polynisian-very kid friendly. It's the dinner. The castmembers have great games for the kids to participate in. Liked Chef Mickey because it featured the mice, the ducks, and the dog. Crystal Palace featured the Winnie-the-Pooh characters, and Park Fare features Mary Popins, Alice, etc.

I want to try the Hoop Dee Doo (sp?) and Beaches and Cream at GF. I said I wasn't going to consider the Dining Plan but after hearing that Shawn didn't want to cook-that idea is sounding better and better.

I will PM you what I need for Jason's "surprise" gift. I know that he will treasure it for many years to come.

Kathy

TAC OH-12
H2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #422
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2K View Post
I'm bringing a fire pit. Ours matches the "approved" Disney design.

Bad news-just got a Kindle. There are about 130 Disney related books that can be ordered. I've ordered one and have my eyes on two more.

You asked earlier what dining experiences we wanted to try. We have done character breakfasts at Chef Mickey, Crystal Palace, and Park Fare (GF). I can recommend the get together at the Polynisian-very kid friendly. It's the dinner. The castmembers have great games for the kids to participate in. Liked Chef Mickey because it featured the mice, the ducks, and the dog. Crystal Palace featured the Winnie-the-Pooh characters, and Park Fare features Mary Popins, Alice, etc.

I want to try the Hoop Dee Doo (sp?) and Beaches and Cream at GF. I said I wasn't going to consider the Dining Plan but after hearing that Shawn didn't want to cook-that idea is sounding better and better.

I will PM you what I need for Jason's "surprise" gift. I know that he will treasure it for many years to come.

Kathy
I thought that link might help you.

I love my kindle. It is a space saving machine.. not to mention a sanity saving one! I also just bought a Disney book but it's Cruise Line related. Yes, the Disney Obsession grows.

We are torn on the Hoop-Dee-doo Revue. I want to see the show but don't like the food on the menu. We also have some restaurants we really want to go back to eat at (Yak & Yeti, Rose & Crown) So we opted to use those dining credits for the Aloha Dinner. We are going to try for Chef Mickey's since it will be the first (possibly only) character meal for the kids.

As for the dining plan, we've done it both ways. Last trip, we didn't get it but Shawn also had to work... so he was home most of the time. this time he's off and wants to be relieved of cooking duties... who am I to argue?

I'll be waiting for that PM.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #423
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
When camping, no matter where, I tend to jones for grilling / outdoor cooking. I hope to have the time to cook a bit at the campsite. I know open fires are not allowed, but I would hope that my portable propane grill would be allowed?!? I don't know what Andrea has planned exactly for meal plan / eating at the campsite, but I hope for my own enjoyment and for the $ savings compared to Disney's meal plans that she is planning on letting me cook at the campsite 1 or 2 meals per day. Since a hot breakfast is a ritual for us when camping, I assume that will be 1 meal per day right there.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #424
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
When camping, no matter where, I tend to jones for grilling / outdoor cooking. I hope to have the time to cook a bit at the campsite. I know open fires are not allowed, but I would hope that my portable propane grill would be allowed?!? I don't know what Andrea has planned exactly for meal plan / eating at the campsite, but I hope for my own enjoyment and for the $ savings compared to Disney's meal plans that she is planning on letting me cook at the campsite 1 or 2 meals per day. Since a hot breakfast is a ritual for us when camping, I assume that will be 1 meal per day right there.
Sadly, Shawn and I don't remember about the grill. I think yes, he thinks no.

What we usually do is grab a quick breakfast at the stream when we are staying at Fort Wilderness. I don't know what the fort has for food since we didn't eat there and then hit the parks for Rope Drop. This trip we trying to go to the contemporary to Chef Mickey's for a breakfast on our non-park day. That is also the day we are planning to do the Aloha Dinner show.

You will most definitely want to take the kids to see Rope Drop at Magic Kingdom and probably Animal Kingdom as Mickey, Minnie and the gang make an appearance.

Also Early Extra magic hours, if your kids are up to it, are the best time to hit the rides in Fantasyland. We did Buzzlight year, dumbo, It's a small world, the merry go round, and peter pan during Early Morning Extra Magic Hours at Magic Kingdom.

They also recommend getting on the Safari Ride first thing in the morning or when it's raining. Apparently the animals are more active.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 10-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #425
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
countdown Ticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post

Just because I like looking at it and we are getting near the year countdown stage.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 10-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #426
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
There are grills at each site we stayed at (there have been several). They also allow your own BBQ grills, but no open fires. Propane simulated fire pits? I would call first to confirm that.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:07 PM   #427
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
There are grills at each site we stayed at (there have been several). They also allow your own BBQ grills, but no open fires. Propane simulated fire pits? I would call first to confirm that.
Thanks!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 10-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #428
H2K
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Sidney , Ohio
Kindle

You might wonder why I am posting about my Kindle on the Disney thread.

I am, by nature, hesitant to embrace new technology. After much ridicule and prodding from friends, I bit the bullet and bought a Kindle. As Disney is one of my favorite places in the whole world, I researched books about Disney to download. Having been to Disney several times before, I thought I knew what I could skip and what I needed to see on our 2012 vacation. Wrong.

I will share a bit of information about what I have downloaded so far and hope that others have more recommendations for additional books.

"The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World" by Susan Veness. I plan to take this one with me as I travel through the parks. This book guides you through each location of all the parks. While guiding you, Susan shares entertaining tidbits of what you are seeing as well as what you are missing. There is so much at Disney that is cleverly inserted that you think it is "just part of the scenery". An example is the telephone in the General Store on Main Street. During Walt's day, party lines were the norm. If you pick up the phone in the General Store you will hear a conversation between the upstairs resident and her daughter. Stay on the line long enough and you will hear the nosy neighbor listening in and giving her thoughts on the discussion.

"Disney World Easy Guides: Epcot" By Johnny Driver. This book tells all you wanted to know about Epcot. This is more of a guidebook in touring all the locations in this park. You learn about the rides that have Fastpasses. Each ride and exhibit has a short but informative narration as to what you can do or see. I won't miss anything at Epcot with this guide along.

"PassPorter's Disney 500" by Jennifer Marx. This book features over 500 tips from Disney fans and experts. Planning tips, traveling tips, lodging tips, touring tips, dining tips, making magic tips are a few of the titles avaliable. This is not a guide book, rather a compilation of resources to make your trip to Disney fun.

"The Little Black Book of Walt Disney World" by Rona Gindin. Disney World can overwelm the senses. This is a very practicle guidebook to all the parks at Disney World. Each park has information as to "What to do and see", Places to eat and drink", and maps. There is information about the Disney World hotels organized by price point. Contained within this guide is information as to where to find good parade-viewing spots to crowd beater strategies-to navigate the four parks, Downtown Disney, accommodationa and all of Disney World's sports and recreation venues, including water parks and golf courses.

I am off to Youtube. Found videos as to how parents are "revealing" the disney vacation to the kids. Very entertaining stuff.

Kathy

PS. "Mousejunkies" very entertaining for adults. Kids won't appreciate it.
TAC OH-12
H2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:29 AM   #429
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Best book we have used in the past - recent update version.

The Unofficial Guide Walt Disney World 2012
Old 10-31-2011, 08:50 PM   #430
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
there is a book and possibly a website (subscription) on the "best days" to do each park during your visit. They use historical data to determine the information. Someone from the a disney forum gave me information on our christmas trip last year. I'll check into it again and see what I come up with.

ps. Kathy have you seen Dan yet?

TAC OK-42

]
Old 10-31-2011, 09:08 PM   #431
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
My post above is the book that does all that. They take to stats for several years and publish the best possible advice for several given common events. Such as New Years on a weekend or in the middle of the week. How many people will show up and where the trends are. We have found the book to be a great resource in setting up which days to go to which park for that time of year. SOme times they tell you a little more money gets you a whole lot more - like which campsites are the best for catching the busses and stuff at FW.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:15 PM   #432
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
list of attendees and sites

Is there a list of those planning on attending and the sites they have reserved? That would be a great help, so we could try to be close to some of the group.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #433
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Disney Planning - Almost to the year mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmtyme View Post
Is there a list of those planning on attending and the sites they have reserved? That would be a great help, so we could try to be close to some of the group.
I have a list of what people plan on reserving. Fort Wilderness does not (under normal circumstances) assign sites until a few weeks before. Now it might help if people would like to fax in a "request" a specific site. (Disney does not guarantee you the requested site but will try to grant it if possible)

What we could do is list some of the tips from the book here on the thread:
Best Site For Catching Buses
Best Dates To Hit the Parks: (I always avoid MK on weekends)

I have to wonder if some of those listed as good for catching bus sites aren't also noisy? I remember reading on the disney forum I visit, someone mentioning a really noisy site from all the buses (it is right by the bus stop).

TAC OK-42

]
Old 11-01-2011, 08:33 AM   #434
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
I just want to add that if anyone is in need of help for planning their time at Disney please let me know or post it here. I don't mind helping people plan their stay and I'd say that about half of the people signed up have been before and can give advice.

TAC OK-42

]

Tags
disney, fort wilderness, rally