View Poll Results: Would you like try for staying in the same level?
Let's try to keep us altogether. 16 94.12%
Let us pick our own loop & rate level. 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #351
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
Went to both the club website and Disney for package information - looks like a fun trip! Do you still see occupancy for a 29' Ambassador? We're double-checking that we could do this trip as our elementary / middle schoolers are in-session during that week, but are very interested!

e
We still have spots open for preferred and full hook ups. The premium sites have all been rsvp but we are waiting to get confirmation of the reservations.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #352
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
I can't believe it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
Went to both the club website and Disney for package information - looks like a fun trip! Do you still see occupancy for a 29' Ambassador? We're double-checking that we could do this trip as our elementary / middle schoolers are in-session during that week, but are very interested!

e
Your information email is on the way!

And to everyone else.. we are 1 person away from 100 people signed up now

Honestly, when I first pictured this rally. I thought we'd be lucky to met the minimum requirements for the group. Jason & Kathy, thanks for having me reserve way more than I had planned!!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #353
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
CONCORD , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to Erik Olson
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
Your information email is on the way!

And to everyone else.. we are 1 person away from 100 people signed up now
Thanks, we're excited about it! I'm reading back through the thread, but what is the deadline for paying the deposit / full package? We just stroked the check for our October trip at Animal Kingdom, so paying a bit later would be fantastic...
Old 09-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #354
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
All charges must be paid in full by Oct 5, 2012. We have only reserved 50 sites in all. If I remember correctly, you only need to pay one night of the campground fee in order to reserve your spot. If you purchase the tickets using the group discount, they have to be paid in full when you purchase them as will the dining plan. We do get a few bonus/discounts for purchasing the ticket through them.

Please let me know when you make your reservation so I can mark it down.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #355
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Small side notes-
Halloween is the week before the rally. In years past there has been trick or treating for halloween at Fort Wilderness. Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom will be running up till Halloween. The cost, for this year, is over $62 per person. Next years rates won't be out until after jan at the earliest.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #356
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Hey guys and gals,
just a quick reminder to make sure you let the reservations people know if you are bringing your pets. I forgot....twice. I had to call them back to let them update it.

Found out (from the group reservation line) that Fort Wilderness doesn't get the info on the Rally until 5 days prior to our arrival so site assignments won't be done until then.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #357
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Count us in! We just registered so I guess that makes 100 and 101!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #358
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna View Post
Count us in! We just registered so I guess that makes 100 and 101!
Welcome 100 and 101!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #359
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
AS per email:

Hi all,
Alrighty, just because I'm the "host" it's your rally doesn't mean I don't need your input and I'm trying to make it as democratic a situation as possible. Although, I know it's still over a year off (bummer), I need to hear from you because a small amount of planning needs to be taken care of now. I have heard your preferences and agree about keeping this rally as simple as possible and have passed that information on to Lauren the coordinator.

We decided on only two potlucks for the duration of the rally and some expressed an interest in roaming happy hours. Here is the problem, as I was processing our latest RSVP I had a sudden revelation. How in the world are we going to fit 101 (potential) people at one site for a pot luck? The answer is "I, Nicki, don't see how we can". Even if the number is just around 50 people and we had to adjoining sites with Airstreams on it, it would be a horribly tight fit.

Since I was due to talk to Lauren about the lack of Grand Gatherings, I decided to have a discussion with her about our choices:

1. We can rent the pavilion (if it's not being used by the BBQ) for $1,000. This does include some food like an ice cream social and we could have Disney provide food but I would have to investigate how much that would add to the $1,000. Naturally if everyone attended it would be $10 per person...many of us are bringing 5 or more... Ouch! (Not mine or Lauren's favorite option for our group)
2. We could rent two adjoining empty premium sites on the potluck days for a cost of $140 a day (the rate quoted for the sites in the contract). She thinks they could probably have a few extra picnic tables brought on to the site. This would come to about $6 a person for both potlucks.
3. We can leave it like it is, drive our neighbors crazy, and possibly leave a bad impression of our club.

Grand gatherings -
We then moved on to discuss options for the potentially missing grand gatherings. I say potentially because, according to the Grand Gathering Dept, Disney may decide to bring them back in a different format next year but are undecided as of now. I will be watching and updating you as soon as I hear something on this. In the meantime, Lauren can recreate all of these Grand Gathering somewhat but you can't use your dining plan and would require a certain amount of coordination by us. She can do the Safari Sunset Dinner for $48 per person without characters. The morning breakfast would be around $26 per person without characters. Adding Mickey or Minnie to the breakfast will cost an additional $40 per person. The character cost was based on number of people projected to attend.

I have done some research into Character Meals and feel that if the Grand Gatherings don't return it would be better for those of us with kids to do the Character Meals. This will mean some coordination between us as to picking dates/times/meals. For those with kids or are kids at heart, if you are interested please email me and I can send you all the options.

The Grand Gathering that had the most interest was Illuminations. There were over 70 of us interested in this one. She can do a desert special for Illuminations for $31.50 a person plus a setup fee of $85.00. The plus to this is you will get better seating for the show and not have to wait around like the rest of the public. The minus is the $85 setup fee.

Lauren can coordinate the Dinner Shows (Hoop-Dee-Doo and Spirit of Aloha) so that everyone can attend on the same night and time. She can even email the chefs at these show for special dietary requests on the foods. Lauren stressed that it is VERY important to make your dining reservations ASAP for dinner shows and character meals.

Although this is a Airstream Rally, Lauren needs to know if there are any flying into the rally so she can get them signed up for the Magical Express (Disney's Free Bus Service From Orlando's Airport).

Someone had asked me about the difference in the cost of the tickets from what was in the thread and what was paid. The amount listed originally on our thread was the 2011 ticket rates. Since we decided on 2012 dates the price changed to reflect 2012 rates. I asked Lauren for an example of the rates. Shawn should be posting them online later. Lauren wanted me to make sure that everyone knew about the extra's attached to buying our tickets through Disney. Although, I think I have mentioned this before I am going to add it again. For instance, any ticket that consists of 2 or more days includes an "Extra Fun Visit". If you purchase a 4 day ticket, you get 4 days at the park and a ticket to a water park, golf course, or Disney Quest.

I need to hear some opinions. Love it, Hate it, Whatever.... it's your turn to sound off.

Pot Luck Problem -
Pavilion, Rent Adjoining Camp Sites, Nothing

Grand Gatherings - Illuminations
Plan nothing as we don't want the extra cost or plan it but hope they bring something back for the Grand Gatherings

Character Meals -
Interested in taking your kids/kids at heart to a character meal as a group -Contact Nicki (preferrably ASAP but definately prior to May Advanced Dining Reservations Start). We will need to coordinate days/events/meals. Or just do them individually when it suits us. Or both.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #360
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
I've had a bit of response but I think we still have some people out traveling. I have decided to rent a campsite for the breakfast potluck since we don't really have another good option for it.

I did have a good suggestion for the arrival potluck but I dont' know his airforums name so I can't give him the credit...sorry.

"The organized pot luck dinner could be done by loop, perhaps a progressive dinner style. One loop appetizers, main course, dessert. People will have their own drinks. Maybe forget dinner an just do appetizers. A lot less hassle and and time consuming. Perhaps extra tables could be placed on the drive for the loops like a block party in the street. No need for extra sites for just a couple of hours use. The concern for the neighbors is thoughtful, perhaps an invite, most will decline but it a peace offering."

I like this idea. I think we could do the appetizers and turn it in to an open house. We could have people sign up to have their A/S on the open house. Shoot for one from each decade (if available) or any custom renovations. We could do this in waves which means that 1/2 of the A/S couple would do the tour then the other half would do the tour. I think even if we tried to do this all at once it would end up in waves as not everyone would fit on one bus at our current expected numbers.

We would not have to rent a site for a night nor worry about transporting food.

I spent part of yesterday giving this idea some thought. I love the idea but I do have some concerns.

My concerns -
Trailer placement -
Fort Wilderness is not like any other campground I've been to. It is huge. Massive.

As far as I've been able to figure out, we will not know until you arrive where you will be located. Making it hard to plan the circuit.

Some of the full hookup loops are almost 1/2 a mile from the preferred. Loops 1600-1900 are the full hookup loops. This will require bus, bike, or Golf cart ride.

Arrival times -
This could be a very staggered and cause people to miss socializing.

Travel Weary-
I worry about people being tired after a day of driving to then have to clean their trailers, prepare appetizer, and then make a circuit around.

Kids -
Some of us have kids that will need an earlier bedtime.

I would appreciate any input or help on this.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #361
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Silverexpress
We are not big pot luck supporters so will likely opt out. I anticipate being very busy taking in all that Disney offers including extended hours and the thought of having to create a dish and do the cleanup just doesn't sound good to me. I am supportive of campfire socials or group dinners. Im sure there will be socializing no matter what and a potluck is probably not needed. I've been to Disney World several times, and visiting one of the parks is a high energy competitive pursuit with everyone equipped with their !phone apps, charting out the attack and taking in as much as possible at any given park including the evening fireworks. By the time you get back to your trailer you will be mush and your feet will feel like lead. It is a good idea to build in a down day where you just hang around Ft. Wilderness, hit the pool, and wander around close. You need some rest time. Anyway, Ft. Wilderness is not a pot luck friendly kind of place.
AIR #34494

Living the Airstream Life:
Silverexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:33 AM   #362
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
We are not big pot luck supporters so will likely opt out. I anticipate being very busy taking in all that Disney offers including extended hours and the thought of having to create a dish and do the cleanup just doesn't sound good to me. I am supportive of campfire socials or group dinners. Im sure there will be socializing no matter what and a potluck is probably not needed. I've been to Disney World several times, and visiting one of the parks is a high energy competitive pursuit with everyone equipped with their !phone apps, charting out the attack and taking in as much as possible at any given park including the evening fireworks. By the time you get back to your trailer you will be mush and your feet will feel like lead. It is a good idea to build in a down day where you just hang around Ft. Wilderness, hit the pool, and wander around close. You need some rest time. Anyway, Ft. Wilderness is not a pot luck friendly kind of place.
This particular event was meant as the meet and greet on the first day. Would it be better in your opinion to just have a pop in/out happy hour type of get together, leaving out food?

By the way, the breakfast potluck isn't meant to be an actual cooking meal since we will all have to depart by noon. It's meant to be "grab something easy" and show up. Donuts, pop tarts, honey buns.....bring a coffee pot...that kind of thing. Just a place to pop in and say goodbye.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #363
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
My opinions, NOTE: my OPINIONS are as follows. I was asked for input, so please no one crucify me for expressing my thoughts even if they are different than your own.

pavilion: Skip it. Disney is bending us over at $1000. I'm not really worried about any adjacent campers thinking that the TAC / Airstreamers are obnoxious. I don't think we'll all get at one campsite at one time anyway. Pot lucks are great, but when you've got to trek 1/2 a mile with a crock pot, it means many will "drive there" which is not allowed by Disney, so then no one will show up because no one wants to haul a hot crock pot full of food on a bike.

grand gatherings: I don't know what there are. I differ to Andrea on this topic. Given the costs associated already with gas, camping, admission tickets, I'm not looking to add much more.

character meals: maybe it's my inexperience of being at Disney, but I don't place a high value on character meals. I'd rather eat with my family and/or with other Airstreamers.

I've never been to FW, but from what I've read, my impression is that I might get located in the somewhat near vicinity of a few other airstreams that have reserved the same level of site that I have. Beyond that, it's going to be like other campgrounds...I'm going to ride my bike around until I find another Airstream and then stop in to say hello. With such a campground that cannot / will not intentionally locate us together, I see it as next to impossible or at least next to driving a person insane to try to get everyone together. I'd say hope for the best that those Airstreamers in the same "section" get placed relatively close together and for those in different sections, well, it will be up to the social desire of the Airstreamers to seek out others.

2nd rencent post about planning:

A progressive open house / appetizer sounds good, but it will require such intensive planning that it might implode. The way I understand FW, you would need to contact all people in a certain type of site (loop) and say: "from 5 until 6, your Airstream will be open (if you desire it so)" and then the next loop, "from 6 to 7...." and so on. A caveat to this though...it's been my experience, at my own rally as well as others, that if you do a roaming open house that as soon as someone is either a) full of food, b) full of drink or c) the kids are rambunctious; then it's done. By the end of the roaming you have 1/4 of the original people. So if you plan a roaming open house / appetizer thing over 4 hours...then at the end you have 5 people touring and host-people wondering why they spent so much time preparing hor-derves for 100. My suggestion considering the large-scale of the rally: designate a time period as "open house". Hand out signs (8.5x11 paper) for people to put in their front window if they are "open" during that time. Given the venue (go to Disney all day), I am guessing that there won't be many on-their-site or that aren't already pooped-out from the day that will want to have open house.

Arrival times: I expect it will be very staggered. It might be helpful to record from each Airstream when they plan to arrive (privately) and plan your "welcome" gathering at the most populated time. The "welcome" gathering should not ask / require anyone to bring anything as it is an event that is intended to make it more comfortable for those that have arrived off of a hard day or evening of driving. Those already on-site need to be coordinated/organized and provide the food. The more generic the better, i.e. hotdogs, burgers, chips. Speaking from experience, this worked awesome last April at the TAC-Wooster rally on Friday night.

Kids: Everyone with kids knows what to do / when to do what they need to with their kids. Often this means that an entire family must disappear at a certain time in the evening. Such is the case and should be recognized by the hosts and/or guests as a necessary evil. It is not rude, it is not disrespectful; it is just what needs to happen for that family.

Some people will be up at 5am, some 10am. Some will go to Disney everyday, some will not. Some will arrive on Monday, some will arrive on Friday. Some will leave on Saturday, some will leave on Sunday or Monday. With such a large group, it is impossible (and not expected) that the host will be able to coordinate 100% of the group 100% of the time.

Who's where? I suggest the host(s) make a map of FW with usernames of campers on it and occasionally post it to the thread. Then, everyone knows who's where and where they can find a TAC / Airsforums friendly Airstream. And when not, then where they can find someone to recruit to join!
Old 09-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #364
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
I just want you guys to realize that this is my vacation as well and I plan to do Disney as much as I can... just like the rest of you. I am trying to keep the planning to a minimum but there are a few things have to be planned if we are to try to do anything as a group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
My opinions, NOTE: my OPINIONS are as follows. I was asked for input, so please no one crucify me for expressing my thoughts even if they are different than your own.

pavilion: Skip it. Disney is bending us over at $1000. I'm not really worried about any adjacent campers thinking that the TAC / Airstreamers are obnoxious. I don't think we'll all get at one campsite at one time anyway. Pot lucks are great, but when you've got to trek 1/2 a mile with a crock pot, it means many will "drive there" which is not allowed by Disney, so then no one will show up because no one wants to haul a hot crock pot full of food on a bike.
I wholeheartedly agree on the pavilion.

I did find a resource (a Disney Bus Driver) that said the rules are you can't eat on the bus... but nothing was said about carrying covered/contained food on the bus.

Someone mentioned the Golf Cart owning/renting people could volunteer to pick up food.... at least until they ran out of juice in the cart.

Quote:
grand gatherings: I don't know what there are. I differ to Andrea on this topic. Given the costs associated already with gas, camping, admission tickets, I'm not looking to add much more.
Grand Gatherings - (Payable with dining plan credits, credit card or cash)

Illuminations Dinner/Desert - Epcot (Dinner, Desert, Characters, and Front Row Reserved seating for the IllumiNation Firework Show

Safari Dinner Celebration - Animal Kingdom (Includes the Safari ride, AK Characters -Timon and Pumba, and a private group meal)

Good Morning Character Breakfast - (Breakfast at MK with Minnie, Mickey, Donald...etc.) I think this one came with early entry into MK so no standing waiting for rope drop...but then you miss out on the show.

These were events that those who wanted to could book as a group to go see. And those who didn't could do their own thing.

Andrea did your reservation so she would know what these are. But many, many of us signed up to do them. 71 people signed up for illuminations alone.

Quote:
character meals: maybe it's my inexperience of being at Disney, but I don't place a high value on character meals. I'd rather eat with my family and/or with other Airstreamers.
Character meals or meal could be used to replace the kids grand gathering experiences. Since the Grand Gathering cancellation we have decided to take our kids to one character meal (Chef Mickey's) instead as they were aware of what our plans had been. You can use your dining plan (should you get one) for this.

Quote:
I've never been to FW, but from what I've read, my impression is that I might get located in the somewhat near vicinity of a few other airstreams that have reserved the same level of site that I have. Beyond that, it's going to be like other campgrounds...I'm going to ride my bike around until I find another Airstream and then stop in to say hello. With such a campground that cannot / will not intentionally locate us together, I see it as next to impossible or at least next to driving a person insane to try to get everyone together. I'd say hope for the best that those Airstreamers in the same "section" get placed relatively close together and for those in different sections, well, it will be up to the social desire of the Airstreamers to seek out others.
The lack of proximity will be due to the group's choice to be able to pick their own type of site. Had we of chosen only one type loop they would likely have put most of us together.

The biking/golf cart driving around to see what's out there is called looping and is a popular sport at FW. The distances you are talking about are not small and going around the interior of the loops is around 1/4 mile in some of them as well..... We biked two afternoons with the kids and did not make it to every single loop.

Sanity... did I have any to begin with? After all I conceived this crazy notion to begin with.....

Quote:
2nd rencent post about planning:

A progressive open house / appetizer sounds good, but it will require such intensive planning that it might implode. The way I understand FW, you would need to contact all people in a certain type of site (loop) and say: "from 5 until 6, your Airstream will be open (if you desire it so)" and then the next loop, "from 6 to 7...." and so on. A caveat to this though...it's been my experience, at my own rally as well as others, that if you do a roaming open house that as soon as someone is either a) full of food, b) full of drink or c) the kids are rambunctious; then it's done. By the end of the roaming you have 1/4 of the original people. So if you plan a roaming open house / appetizer thing over 4 hours...then at the end you have 5 people touring and host-people wondering why they spent so much time preparing hor-derves for 100. My suggestion considering the large-scale of the rally: designate a time period as "open house". Hand out signs (8.5x11 paper) for people to put in their front window if they are "open" during that time. Given the venue (go to Disney all day), I am guessing that there won't be many on-their-site or that aren't already pooped-out from the day that will want to have open house.
I will admit the logistics on doing the rolling open house meal is daunting. The person that suggested it didn't realize I was discussing arrival day. I still like the idea but it would be more than difficult.

I'm not sure about the open house but planning it can wait a few months if it's not part of the arrival day festivities.

Quote:
Arrival times: I expect it will be very staggered. It might be helpful to record from each Airstream when they plan to arrive (privately) and plan your "welcome" gathering at the most populated time. The "welcome" gathering should not ask / require anyone to bring anything as it is an event that is intended to make it more comfortable for those that have arrived off of a hard day or evening of driving. Those already on-site need to be coordinated/organized and provide the food. The more generic the better, i.e. hotdogs, burgers, chips. Speaking from experience, this worked awesome last April at the TAC-Wooster rally on Friday night.
I am not agreeing or disagreeing with you on this. My question is where to have it? Should we hope to have two adjoining sites or should we rent one premium site ($70) for a night in order to accommodate our numbers. With a come and go as you please policy, which will work best for those of us with kids.

If we do decide to rent a campsite for the night of arrival to do this I need to book it now as it will require us adding on a campsite or two to the premium section (maxed out) which this early shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
Some people will be up at 5am, some 10am. Some will go to Disney everyday, some will not. Some will arrive on Monday, some will arrive on Friday. Some will leave on Saturday, some will leave on Sunday or Monday. With such a large group, it is impossible (and not expected) that the host will be able to coordinate 100% of the group 100% of the time.
I am not trying to even plan a tenth of anything. I was planning on an official arrive (originally potluck) get together and a Sunday Goodbye "Bring Your favorite meal on the go" Breakfast and your coffee cup/pot. The rest is up to you.

Quote:
Who's where? I suggest the host(s) make a map of FW with usernames of campers on it and occasionally post it to the thread. Then, everyone knows who's where and where they can find a TAC / Airsforums friendly Airstream. And when not, then where they can find someone to recruit to join!
Great Idea but unless FW gives me a list of where people are. The people are going to have to provide the information to me upon arrival/after setup.

The only other thing I need to know is if those wishing to attend Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue and Spirit of Alohoa would like to try to do it as a group. If so Lauren can book us in together... if you'd rather do it as it fits your schedule then that's fine too.

TAC OK-42

]

Tags
disney, fort wilderness, rally