Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Other Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Broadening Group Camping Options - Tin Can Tourists

Last week we were able to attend the first few days of a Tin Can Tourists event that was put on by Susan and Gerry (Forum avatar Gerr). This was their second one this year with the first being held in Mission. These are outstanding events open to all vintage units. Typically at these ones at least there is a heavy Airstream representation. Also, the two noted above are designed to be smaller with an attendance limitation due to CG space. They put a lot of work into making sure these are FUN with a capital F and Susan has her newly acquired "Fun Stick" to coach anyone who is not enjoying themselves at these events. The Deming one is capable of holding a larger number of rigs and is nicely located at the Deming Logging Show Fair Grounds nestled in the Cascades at the foot of Mount Baker, WA. Very quiet and close to several small towns and the larger one, Bellingham. It was at a Tin Can Tourists event where we were fortunate enough to meet several Forums members.

There are a lot of options out there besides Forums and WBCCI initiated events for those who enjoy meeting others, don't mind being camped with a wide variety of often unique but almost totally vintage rigs, and having fun. The open houses are really neat and you really can learn a lot about your own trailer and how to make subtle or major changes by viewing and speaking to others who have done the work on their own trailers.

There are also a wide variety of TV's that show up and it can often turn into a mini car show as well.

So check them out (www.tincantourists.com) and give one a try, I think you will find a great big world of folks who are just like the rest of us vintage people (uh, trailers that is, not US). As for Susan (and Gerry but she really does the hard stuff and Gerry adds sage advice if my view of things is correct), they've done an outstanding job of keeping the vintage Airstream and vintage trailer momentum going full steam in the Pacific Northwest.

There is one more event planned this year at Lynden, WA the weekend of September 10 to 13 hosted by the originator of the Deming TCT August event, Pat and Joanne Ewing who started vintage events in the PNW 9 years ago, are vintage Airstream owners, and being the first time in Lynden it will be an adventure. Any questions please contact Pat or Joanne Ewing at (360) 966-4253 or e-mail at pre47airstream@aol.com.

Barry
Old 08-30-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Thank you for your kind words Barry. We had a lot of fun. I did not have to poke anyone with the "Fun Stick". They were able to make their own fun even when it rained. It was great to meet some new people. I am looking forward to Pat's Fabulous Mt Baker Rally coming in September. I encourage everyone to check it out. The array of different and interesting trailers is incredible. The people that attend are fantastic. Pat works very hard to put on a good show. He has lots of events planned. I am looking forward to the new location. Lynden is a charming town. I have attached photos ( I hope). The first is Mel and Lee, Gerry, Judy and Dick Deam having fun in the rain,the second is an Air Forum/WBCCI group leaving to Iain Cameron"s Vintage Buddy rally just across the Canadian border and the last is our set up. Susan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04563 (Small).JPG
Views:	168
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	86348   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04569 (Small).JPG
Views:	174
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	86349  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04523 (Small).JPG