Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Bluegrass festivals?

I was thinking it would be nice to attend a blue grass festival some time this spring. As I understand it they are often held a places where you can stay in your camper. Does anyone know of any within say 300 miles or so of Lexington this spring? I think there is one in Chattanooga late this spring. Any information or insight into this sort of thing would be welcome. Cheers!

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:36 PM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Greetings-

There are so many across the country each year that you not find just one spot to find them but try this one;

The Bluegrass Connection

They have a really good listing.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:55 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Smile Bluegrass festival

[quote=Gen Disarray] Does anyone know of any within say 300 miles or so of Lexington this spring?

April 26th thru 29th.
MerleFest: An Americana Music Celebration Merlefest, is a yearly event in Wilkesboro, NC,. It is held in memory of Doc Watson's son, Merle. It offers a great mix of bluegrass, folk, homegrown, blues and gospel. Several outdoor stages and an indoor facility. Even pickin' parlors for those who bring their instruments and just want to play. The festival lasts 4 days but you can purchase daily tickets or one to cover the whole thing. Promotes a family oriented atmosphere, no alcohol sales. You can count on hearing the very best in the business at this one.

There are several campgrounds in the area. TinB
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Check with Happy Holiday camground in Cherokee NC. They have 2 each year with big name bluegrass folk----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
Although it's not in the spring, consider one of the nations largest

Old Fiddler's Convention in Galax VA
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Boxcar Pinion - come on down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I was thinking it would be nice to attend a blue grass festival some time this spring. As I understand it they are often held a places where you can stay in your camper. Does anyone know of any within say 300 miles or so of Lexington this spring? I think there is one in Chattanooga late this spring. Any information or insight into this sort of thing would be welcome. Cheers!
YES - check the Boxcar Pinion Memorial Bluegrass Festival website. This year it will be held May 3-5 on Raccoon Mountain near Chattanooga. Full and partial hookups are available, not certain about boondocking but I'm willing to bet it wouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure where they are with RV capacity right now, but the cabins are already sold out. Kposey from the forums has been working with this festival since it begun, so this year she has me involved too. We will both be there with our Airstreams. Come and join the fun!

Would it not be cool to have a bevy of Airstreams gleaming in the sun, music echoing off the hills and bouncing off all that silver.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
gettysburg bluegrass festival - May 17-20 Granite Hill Campground. securing a hook-up site at this point will be tough.

see Bluegrass Festival: Welcome to the Gettysburg Bluegrass Festival

the best in the business show up at this one.
munimula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Gen Disarray,

As FordTruck mentioned, Galax, VA holds the annual Old-Time Fiddler's Convention every August. This will be the 72nd year. For interested WBCCI members, the Virginia Unit sponsors a Special Event Rally that week to coincide with the Convention. Registration forms should be available in the Blue Beret this Spring.

It is a full week of Bluegrass and Old-Time music competition, jam sessions, WBCCI organized events, fun, friends and food! What more can you ask for?
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:58 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Grosse Ile , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to commander31
I was told that the "Bean Blossom Bluegrass Festival" was one not to miss...

If I am remembering correctly, wasn't this one started years and years ago by the legendary Bill Monroe, and his Bluegrass Boys???

I think it is just outside Indianapolis, and is in early June....

I have kind of a personal connection (by default) to this show, though I have never attended it.... When I purchased my Airstream in early May, it was in West Palm Beach, Fla...(just having been brought down from northern Michigan a few months before..) (figures!!)
The owner said for an additional $250, he would deliver it to his friend's home in Plains GA..(Jimmy Carter hometown) So, that took a quick 700 miles off my trip. Long story short, in the next few weeks, i was met by obstacle after obstacle, and brick wall after brick wall, trying to figure out how I could feasibly get this new Airstream home from mid Georgia. Finally, just about as I was ready to rent a truck from U Haul..this guy from Plains calls, and presents a proposal to me, that for $350, he will bring the Airstream to Indianapolis the second weekend of June, as he had already planned on attending "Bean Blossom" with his family....

So, thanks to the memory of the legendary Bill Monroe, and that really nice guy from Plains, I borrowed my buddy's new Expedition for a day, and took a vacation day off work, and picked up my new baby from Indy, (4 1/2 hrs drive from Detroit) and brought her home....by way of a 5 hr rest stop (mission) to Jackson Center--- of course!!

Scott Anderson
Grosse Ile, Mich.
1969 23' Safari Twin
WBCCI # 22426
(formerly #22425 1968-76)

When it is my time, I want to go peacefully,
And in my sleep.....Just like my Grandfather....
Not screaming, kicking and in a state of panic,
like the other passengers in his car were......
commander31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:19 AM   #10
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Boxcar Pinion Bluegrass

Check the bluegrass festival link below. There are full hook up sites, electric and water only sites and boondocking sites. Some of the featured bands are IIIrd Time Out, Lone Mountain Band, Cherryholmes, Bent creek, Curtis Hicks & The Old Time String Band, plus many more! And, as an added bonus, you can always find folks pickin' in the campground! We have loads of fun and some of the proceeds go to the American Cancer Society.

Boxcar Pinion Memorial Bluegrass Festival website.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:51 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kposey
Check the bluegrass festival link below. There are full hook up sites, electric and water only sites and boondocking sites. Some of the featured bands are IIIrd Time Out, Lone Mountain Band, Cherryholmes, Bent creek, Curtis Hicks & The Old Time String Band, plus many more! And, as an added bonus, you can always find folks pickin' in the campground! We have loads of fun and some of the proceeds go to the American Cancer Society.

Boxcar Pinion Memorial Bluegrass Festival website.
SOUNDS GOOD. We'll be spending some summer time up on the Tenn. Cumberland Plateau (TCPC) close by. Hope to see you at the festival. I think Sugarfoot is planning on this one too( hope so).

07, 25' Ocean Breeze
64, 19' Globetrotter

Air #7609
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
southwestern , Michigan
try checking out the events at the Appalachian musuem in clinton/norris, tn. they have some awesome events throughout the year. we went to the fall homecoming and one of the attractions was ricky skaggs. he gave a wonderful performance. here is a link to their website:
Welcome to the Museum of Appalachia
airstreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:01 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
Send a message via AIM to SwampBillies
We are gpomg to the bluegrass festival at Sertoma youth ranch April 27-29, here in Florida....Here is a link to the flyer.....it would be great if some of you guys could come!!!

http://www.sertomayouthranch.com/upcoming_files/April2007b.pdf

Debbie & Lewis Adkins
WBCCI #15754 --- AIR #18873
1972 - 31' Sovereign International (Betty)
1964 - 24' Tradewind (Glory)
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty
SwampBillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:13 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by denellen
SOUNDS GOOD. We'll be spending some summer time up on the Tenn. Cumberland Plateau (TCPC) close by. Hope to see you at the festival. I think Sugarfoot is planning on this one too( hope so).
Wonderful, Denellen! We'll be looking for you.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
southwestern , Michigan
hi sugarfoot, what is at the cumberland plateau? is it the airstream park in crossville? my husband was born there (rockytop) and we go through that area a lot. he has family there and it is halfway between cookeville where his mom lives and clinton where our daughter lives so we might have to zip in there sometime. we go there sometimes for the flea market, but it has sort of gone downhill. maybe we will run into you there sometime! do you ever go there during the world's longest yard sale? happy airstreaming!
airstreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:54 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Hi Rodney

Most of the famous Bluegrass festivals are very big and crowded. People arrive early and reserve the best sites for friends. Bean Blossom, Galax,
Grey Fox, Merlefest, and Poppy Mountain can be madhouses. Graves and Gettysburg are medium size festivals and might be better for a newbie.
Perhaps even a smaller ( 1000-2000 people )festival for your first time out.
My camping club ( The Grillbillies ) have a smaller festval in Pennsylvania
It's called O.A.T.S. ( Out Among the Stars 6/28- 7/1 07 ) We have a web page. Mandolin Dave aka No Way Dave
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamers
hi sugarfoot, what is at the cumberland plateau? is it the airstream park in crossville? my husband was born there (rockytop) and we go through that area a lot. he has family there and it is halfway between cookeville where his mom lives and clinton where our daughter lives so we might have to zip in there sometime. we go there sometimes for the flea market, but it has sort of gone downhill. maybe we will run into you there sometime! do you ever go there during the world's longest yard sale? happy airstreaming!
Hi Airstreamers. The Cumberland Plateau is a strip of unique land that runs from parts of Kentucky through Tennessee into Alabama. Its a beautiful area with gorges, water features, and abundant wildlife. The Tennessee Cumberland Plateau Campground is an Airstream membership park, but I don't think guests have to have an Airstream just to camp for a night or two. I've not been there but I hear its a very pretty campground. And yes, I did the longest yard sale once in the early years of its existence. Its gotten too crowded for me to deal with it now. Hope to see you one the road somewhere.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:36 AM   #18
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
Hi Airstreamers. The Cumberland Plateau is a strip of unique land that runs from parts of Kentucky through Tennessee into Alabama. Its a beautiful area with gorges, water features, and abundant wildlife.
To those of us who are hip, it is simply "the plateau" .

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
To those of us who are hip, it is simply "the plateau" .
Exactly!

OK Gen Disarray, now there are three of us here attending the Boxcar Pinion Festival near Chattanooga . . . can you fit it into your schedule and make it four? Kathy and I will bring our Airstreams up on May 2.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:20 AM   #20
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Merle Fest

We will be making our annual pilgrimage to Merle Fest. Is any one else going? We are staying at the Volunteer Fire Department Campground (also referred to as the Wilkes County Sewer Treatment Facility ).
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote