Old 02-10-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Birthday Bash

Birthday Bash - a FAMILY camping event!

(Note: THIS IS NOT A WBCCI SANCTIONED EVENT)

(NOTE: All this weekend is a FAMILY camping event to celebrate someone that started something very special that we all LOVE)

We have been asked to rename the Bash by a Cease and Desist letter (attached) sent by a lawyer representing the WBCCI that I received on the afternoon of 8 February 2010. They have made a number of demands of me that I am working on complying with. We will honor all of their demands.

First off, a huge thank you to those who signed up and to those on the Stand By list.. The 79 Spaces filled up in a 10 days.. wow!! That says alot and we look forward to a event like no other. To those on the stand by list, as a spot comes open, we'll contact you with the opportunity.

Originally conceived as a WBCCI / WDCU event for the 2010 camping season. Four friends, Rob Baker, Steve Klohn, John Kwasnik, and Frank Yensan are hosting this event which is scheduled for June 24 to 28, 2010. We were calling it the Wally Byam's Birthday Bash, celebrating the birthday of Airstream's founder, Wally Byam (who would be 114 years old this year!) , to be held on Rob’s family farm in central NY. We came up with a website featuring a picture of Rob's farm, a picture taken by Frank from a rally in North Norwich, NY where Rob grew up and is about 5 miles from the venue, and a logo/image from a nameplate on a 1954 Wally Byam's Holiday trailer that had the caption "Wally turns 114"

In December, two of the four hosts resigned from the WBCCI for issues discussed elsewhere. At this time, it was decided to still hold the WBBB anyway, but to make it an independent rally that was NOT sponsored by the WBCCI or the WDCU. It must be noted that Steve and John, who are also hosting this event, and are members in good standing of the Wisconsin Unit (Steve) and the WDCU (John) of the WBCCI.

The rally was made to be open to any shiny silver trailer owner regardless of whether he or she is a WBCCI member or not. Although it was noted rather prominently that this was not a WBCCI event from day one on the web site registration. Never-the-less, the WBCCI headquarters sent a letter from their lawyers informing Rob that the name Wally Byam and pictures of Wally, especially the picture used on the WBBB website, were an infringement of WBCCI trademarks and that he was to immediately stop using those images. The reason for this was that they believed that people attending the WBBB, and people viewing the website, would mistakenly think it is a WBCCI event. The WBCCI wants to make it clear that this event, formerly known as the Wally Byam Birthday Bash, is not sanctioned or sponsored by the WBCCI, and by removing all references to the name Wally Byam and his pictures, this fact will be evident.

They did say we could still hold an event that celebrated Mr. Byam’s birthday as the founder of the Airstream. As a result, the rally name was going to be changed to the "Airstream Founder's Birthday Bash" and the "Wally only" logo on the website has been removed. However, we do not desire to bring Airstream into this mess either. The EVENT will just be call "The Birthday BASH". The event is already full, and all attendees know why we're doing this.

So don't worry, the event is still going on and we're quite sure that everyone attending will have a great time. We still REQUIRE you to leave your worries and all of the "Politics" at home! Come to have fun and relax here on our farm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Page 1 small.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	95933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Page 2 small.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	95934  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Page 3 small.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	95935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Page 4 small.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	95936  

http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
Bb

Thanks Rob & all

Oh well, these things happen! Looks like everything is going to work out in any case.

And don't worry, there is not enough storage room in a 22' Safari to bring any politics along.

Keep Frank's wagon wheel photo on the website. Great one Frank.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Please folks... please do not use this thread to put down the club. There are plenty other places you can do that. We only want this to be about fellowship and Airstream Spirit. Thank you for understanding and respecting our wishes...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Gunna be a GREAT party no matter what it's called!!
biggoofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I agree - we're really looking forward to it. Especially given that the Argosy is soon to be buried under snow (but nothing like what poor Frank has gone through)...

Tom
Old 02-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Thanks Frank
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Yup, it will be a fantastic time, I would love to be there to celebrate the Birthday of the man who founded the company that manufactured our trailers!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
Rob, you and your associates are doing the right thing by complying with all the requirements set out in the letter from the WBCCI counsel. However I don't see how a real person's name, alive or deceased, can fall under "intellectual property" but I suppose in the convoluted world in which many attorneys operate anything is possible.

I can understand the powers-that-be have a duty to protect their intellectual properties from abuse by others not authorized to use them. However, in this instance I am thinking that it makes whoever initiated this missive look very small and petty indeed and the whole thing reeks of harassement. I would guess that it cost them AT LEAST $500.00 and possibly much more to send this letter. Perhaps a phone call or e-mail would have been sufficient. If I were a member I would be highly displeased that some of my dues money was being used for such a frivilous purpose since the "Birthday Bash" represents no threat to the WBCCI whatsover and there are no damages to claim.

Keep up the good work and hopefully we'll see you all at the Birthday Bash this coming June!
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Wow!! I cant believe it... Huge disappointment... You guys keep up the great work on the Party!

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:16 PM   #10
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
A friendly reminder to keep it on track. No poking sticks at the club. Hey did we mention the fireworks? Were having those...

Mods, sorry to act like a moderator.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Rob.

Unfortunately, enlarging the letters so that I could read them, doesn't help.

Is there some way, thru posting, or a direct e-mail, that I could have a copy that I could read, along with making some copies of it and giving them to our customers?

Andy
Old 02-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #12
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Bravos and thanks to each of you, Rob, Steve, John and Frank, for choosing to simply "turn the other cheek" in the face of this adversity, and other such foolishness.

Thanks for being strong enough to keep your eyes and minds and hearts on the target, and not be distracted any further from your original goals in hosting this Birthday Bash.

I predict a fabled history for what will likely become a longstanding annual event. We're very sure that a wonderful time will be had by all, and look forward to meeting all of you soon.

Best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

http://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #13
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
Birthday Bash - a FAMILY camping event!

(Note: THIS IS NOT A WBCCI SANCTIONED EVENT)

I can't help but chuckle when I read the disclaimer you're having to use - it sounds like a line out of an old Seinfeld episode!

THIS IS NOT A WBCCI SANCTIONED EVENT - not that there's anything wrong with that!!!

Thanks, again, guys!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

http://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
Bb

Thanks for shortening the name guys....the last one was a mouthful!

Can we get a list of the attendees trailer and moho's model's and year of make started somewhere down the line? along with this maybe have a board set up at the bash with:

attendees names (any other contact info attendees want to add)
state & country of origin
year and model of trailer/moho

Along with:
special announcments, changes to schedule etc. like run/bike ride times.
Frank's secret spices of the day

also for sale board/ wanted area

Just suggestions...thanks
Gary