Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Other Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
BASH III July 4- 8 2012

This just might be the earliest advanced notice of a rally ever.

The Third Annual Birthday Bash will be held July 4- 8 2012. Coopers Lake Campground will be the venue. We will be using another part of the campground however for Bash III so we can have another perspective of the Lake. If anyone wants to arrive a day early, on July 3, you can, but will be expected to work on setting up the infrastructure and clean up any trash we might encounter from the previous weekends event. In exchange for your labor, you will get a free night of camping and I personally will ply you with adult beverages around the campfire that evening.
The numbers will be limited for Bash III. We found the smaller group at Bash II was perfect for everyone to spend time socializing without passing anyone by. Registration will open the first of the year. We will utilize the same system that served the Grateful Dead ticket sales for so many years, mail order. When mail order opens, all letters post marked on the opening date will be honored in the order they arrive. Those arriving post marked before opening day will be returned, and you can try again. All Bash II attendees will get first option. Once we fill our number, a waiting list will be started. This is a very easy and simple system.
A full schedule will soon be posted on our website, Third Annual Birthday Bash 2012. It will be an evolving thing and we hope that attendees will help us add things to it. Some of the highlight will be; many potlucks, many happy hours, open house when ever your door is open, rocket building and launching, tye dye, coffee service daily, a number of full breakfasts, a cookout the very first night to kick things off in real Bash style and celebrate Wally's birthday, multiple bands that hopefully will entertain your socks off, a killer Saturday night BBQ, and hopefully too much smiling.
Bash II had just about everyone, that wanted it, with rally power. Bash III will NOT be the same. A generator(s) will be used for those in true medical need during night time hours and during day light hours anyone that needs will be able to run theirs. We hope those running a generator will ask all their neighbors to plug in and share the charge.
We are Airstreams and Airstreamers know how to make due. Wally designed our trailers to be self contained and we are going to prove how easy it is.
Water will be daisy chained around the area just like last years event.
The Coopers have made us a very generous offer for our event. They will be providing us with a massive tent to eat and socialize under. They will also be giving each trailer two pump outs during the event. The porta pots will be cleaned everyday, and we will have a shuttle running folks to the store, to the showers, or just around to the main area.
Bike, scooters, roller blades, and tons of kids are all encouraged.

Please fire away with your questions and comments.

This is a non political political event. It is 100% fellowship and good times. We hope to see many of you there.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Having missed II we hope to make III! Two out of three ain't bad.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
Fail to Plan Plan to Fail

We will be adding a afternoon social with fresh squeezed lemon aid for all. Also the Corn Ladys will be back. To pop there yummy kettle corn for everyone. I'm also planning on donating blueberry for pancake and other fresh fruit for breakfast. As Wally said "We don't make chances only improvements"

Hope to see ya all at The Bash III

Ace in Pa "Living the Airstream Life"
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Pittsford , Michigan
Sounds real Nice!
"part of the "Forbidden Wheels Clubhouse Recon Team"

"Toast is a tool. It ain't Breakfast!"
Airdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Do You need a Parker? Obie
Ford Diesel Van "The Obie Van"
WBCCI #2590
TAC PA-2
https://airstreamhobo.blogspot.com/
airstreamhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Frank

After the fun we had this year we will do our best to be at BBIII

Gary and Edna
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:40 AM   #7
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The body isn't even cold and all ready we are planning.

My kids asked if we could go to Coopers Lake this weekend. They loved the week we spent there.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:41 AM   #8
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamhobo View Post
Sorry Obie, we have a clown that takes care of that job.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Bash iii

It seems way too early to know what one's schedule will look like next July, but certainly, this is the one event to set your schedule around. We wouldn't miss it. We'll be there.

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Carol and I have it on the calendar.

What do folks think about some kind of voluntary name tags.??

I know there were a lot of people there that are on the forums but I wasn't able to put the face with the screen name
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:05 AM   #11

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
I hope to make it next year... that mail-in registration process seems like a fun game to play as long as it works out! Can I send in multiple registrations?
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Always happy to hear good news. Yay Bash 3.0! (Love chipped beef - but scrapple is probably easier...)

When one of the primary improvements for next year is adding fruit to breakfast, you know that the last Bash was a job well done.

And Frank is right about the self-contained thing - we left the Bash to go to the Finger Lakes. Wound up spending three more days boondocking, no muss, no fuss.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Bash II was the best!!
Jean and I will be back for Bash III.
It was as much fun as all have said and then some.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamhobo View Post
There will be a Parker there whether you are there or not!

My son, Parker, wouldn't let us miss it for the world. Then again, neither would I.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Self-containment

Hi Frank and Bash planners for 2012:

This is the conservationist / environmentalist side of me speaking.

Taking power from "the grid" is far more efficient and less "carbon footprint" than running generators. I am assuming that after attending this year's Bash (2011) that we will be on the other side of the lake next year since you are talking of no elec.??? If there is any way to hook up those in need (medical) at night and pass around the "3-amp" connection via extension cord during the day to recharge everyone else, I would greatly suggest this. I will volunteer to be the electric czar if one is required. Less noise and less emissions...in my mind, always a better choice.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #16
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Frank,
What state is Coopers Lake located?

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:59 AM   #17
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
Hi Frank and Bash planners for 2012:

This is the conservationist / environmentalist side of me speaking.

Taking power from "the grid" is far more efficient and less "carbon footprint" than running generators. I am assuming that after attending this year's Bash (2011) that we will be on the other side of the lake next year since you are talking of no elec.??? If there is any way to hook up those in need (medical) at night and pass around the "3-amp" connection via extension cord during the day to recharge everyone else, I would greatly suggest this. I will volunteer to be the electric czar if one is required. Less noise and less emissions...in my mind, always a better choice.
Jason, we are turning lemons into margaritas here....

I understand your concern. The first Bash had no hook ups and we did just fine. Most people that needed all night electric got together and shared the ultra quite type generators. It worked just fine. We plan to do the same with this one. The improvement we will make is to construct a room to muffle the noise. I imagine the ambient noise from I79 will be greater.
There is just no grid power. We are in negotiations already with a generator dealer to come out and show all of us how well their product works. Even if that does not pan out, we will make due.
We are Airstreamers and Airstreamers make it happen.
If someone wants to come that just cannot be liberated with boondocking, there will, as this past year, be full three point hook ups just up the hill.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:15 AM   #18
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
Frank,
What state is Coopers Lake located?
Cooper Lake is just North of Pittsburgh PA.

The photo in their banner is a view of where we will be. Just picture beautiful shiny silver bullets in that photo and you have it.

Everyone will have an awesome campsite I promise. We have full sun, part sun, total shade. We have water front, lake view, meadow, and timbered sites.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:57 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
No electric- No problem. Rarely camp anywhere with electric
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 07-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Bash electic and Medical needs

I am assuming ( possibly incorrectly) most power required for “medical needs” would be to run a CPAP machine.

The link below will provide some info on the power required. It appears that many of the modern machines have 12 volt capability.

How to Camp with your CPAP on Battery Power

I recently had a friend with a 120 volt machine actually measure the current draw using a “Kill a watt” meter. The results were 28 watts on startup and a running load of 13 watts.
Allowing for inverter inefficiencies this would translate to about 1.25 amps at 12 volts or about 10 amp hours for an 8 hour night. Slightly less than running an 1141 auto bulb for the same time period. This is a relatively light load.
This means that you should be able to run a CPAP for multiple nights on a trailer battery, depending on what else you are using. Certainly there should be no need to run a generator at night if the CPAP is the only concern.
Charging can be done during the day. Of course there may be other needs that would require more power
I hope this info is helpful to some concerned about power availability at the Bash and has not strayed too far off topic
99 Dodge TD 577K miles