Old 06-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #309
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirVintage View Post
Hi all!
We have 3 small dogs so a/c must be able to be on the whole time.
I have no idea what the weather will be. I will say this, we were shocked by how good a job the vents with all the windows did at cooling our trailer. We have done up to 85 degrees, with a great dane (at the time) using just the vents, windows and some shade during the day.

We are treating ourselves to a no electricity time. Something we never get to do....

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #310
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Air, Your trailer was built to be self contained, I would have no fear of boon docking if I were you. Once you embrace getting off the grid you will drastically increase your camping options and the quality will increase too. The area we are in has no set sites at all, you set up where you like. There is fully shaded woods, wide open grassy areas, and being right on the water. You will chose where you want to be. The area we are camping in has water spigots scattered around. Keeping your tank full is not going to be an issue. Now full time power will be unless you supply it yourself. There will be an area where generators will be allowed even at night. AC was not needed last year, but who knows what Mother Nature will provide us. I have been searching in vain to find the historic trends posted last year, but the elevation, proximity to the Great Lakes, and wooded landscape all around us make for a rather cool climate. As Big Al pointed out we and dogs evolved without AC. If you feel you just have to have full hook ups, there are a number of them right up the hill. I personally encourage you to take the leap and give camping as Wally Byam intended it, a try.
Here's that post you were looking for Frank.

BTW, last year the high temperature on the 4th was 82; the low was 62.

Our two dogs had absolutely NO problems whatsoever.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #311
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
I'll throw a word in here about boondocking, too.

If your fridge won't work, OK, a problem, maybe. Perhaps you can get by with an iced-down cooler? Since having boondocked the first time, it has been my goal to only make my Airstreams MORE boondock-able as I replace things or work on them. It's really an awesome experience to know that you've existed for 4 days with nothing more than the water in your fresh tank and the power stored in your battery. When my original fridge went bad, I was only going to replace with something 2-way. As bulbs go bad, they get replaced with LEDs.

Boondocking is a totally different and enlightening experience. You learn the value of sweating and a breeze or a bike-ride. You appreciate that shower even more. You love your awning or a shade tree. You appreciate sleeping with the windows open.

My first boondocking experience was not at the Bash. It was only a two night affair, but I was hooked. It makes for a totally different rally experience. No one has their trailer brightly lit at light. Children play at light by flashlight light. Neon bands are abound. The fire pit is the gathering point. I realize everyone's needs are different; but my family of 4 can go at least 4 days without filling the black tank. Fresh water is easily refilled and the gray...well, let's just say I seem to develop a leak around dusk every night. Must be the heat expansion / contraction of the plumbing system... The battery, well, it seems to do well for at least 4 days, too. If not, then a quick hit from the tow vehicle or a friendly generator owner works, too.

It's just different; and everyone should experience it at least once.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #312
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I should point out that there are two shower houses. They are not fancy but sure do the trick. The Bash Cab will take you to and fro if needed. You will also be with a group looking for an excuse to help you out when ever a need comes up. There are guys(sorry not trying to be sexist) just looking for an excuse to fix something. If you have a need, someone is more than glad to help take care of it. The Coopers also have one of the best camp stores I have ever been to. Everything short of beer is sold there.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #313
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Thank you Mistral, you are the man!!!

Over the last 40 years in Pittsburgh, the coolest it has ever been on July 4 is 50F, the hottest it has been is 91F.

The average MAX temp on July 4 is 81F.

The average LOW temp is 64F.

The highest LOW temp was 75F in 1999.

The LOW temp has exceeded 70F only 3 times since 1972.

The MAX temp has exceeded 90F only 4 times since 1972.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #314
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
and yet another thing...

Bring your bikes, trikes, unicycles, mono cycles, go carts, peddle carts, push cart, skate boards, surf boards(for looks, no waves at Coopers Lake) and any kind of vehicle you might want to get around with. If you have kids, they will really want to have their rides.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #315
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
There are guys(sorry not trying to be sexist) just looking for an excuse to fix something.

You know why I'm gonna post this smiley...don't ya?

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #316
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
AirVintage,

I will have my twin honda's to run if it get too hot (11month old, 6 month pregnant wife and three dogs dont like humidity or heat :-O ) and to top off my batteries. You are more than welcome to plug into the 20amp to charge and cool the fridge during the day time. Just bring some extra cord to reach. We will try to be off to the side due to the above mentioned generators, kid, dogs and 6 month pregnant wife, LOL (thank goodness she does not check Airforums)

I would think by 7/5 someone will have helped you to work off gas. If not stay plugged in. It is all good.

Hope to see you there.
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #317
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to AirVintage
I want to thank everyone for all the replies. We truly do want to experience the boondocking lifestyle We are taking the AS out this weekend for a test run. Since we have only camped once in the AS, we are not sure what all she is capable of doing.

Nick, we sincerely appreciate the offer and may just take you up on it!

We will be at the Bash and can't wait to meet everyone.
TAC OH-28
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
AirVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #318
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
Hey Nick

Your Honda's will be welcome at The Bash III. We have generator area for 24\7 users and a day gen. area too. As for the keeping food cold. I use a old school ice chest. The camp store has plenty of bags of ice for all. There is plenty of shady sites if you want one.

See you at The Bash

Ace in PA
Old 06-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #319
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Anyone travelling across north-central Ohio to get to the Bash and would like a stop-over point, you're welcome to stop at our place for the night or two on your way. I think that we will have a courtesy parker either Monday or Tuesday night on their way to the Bash. We have room for more. Our family will be leaving for the Bash Tuesday after I get home from work if anyone wants to hang around and go as a group. The Bash is about 3 to 3.5 hours from our house depending on how hard you're willing to push the pedal down.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #320
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
Bash III courtesy parking

I also have courtesy parking for anyone who is coming from the south. I am about 50 miles south of Cooper Lake. Last year Frank came here Monday evening and we went Tues morning to The Bash. If anyone want to come a day or two early. I have power and water as needed.

Ace in PA 15102

Click image for larger version

Name:	home.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	160118

Old 06-05-2012, 05:59 AM   #321
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
London , Ontario
We are staying a Penn Wood for a few nights before the Bash.

Penn Wood Airstream Park - About Us* ...* airstream park, Penn Wood campground, pennwood campground

A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery while on a detour
TAC - ON-8
Gatward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #322
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I hear rumor that a sudden trickle of registrations have come in....