Old 05-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #295
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
Two AS family now! WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
And I see he went from a 20' to a 23' - just like we just did. Obviously someone with fine taste. (But we only went 65 miles to buy this one - the first one was a 9 hour trip and a border crossing)...

Tom
Hey Tom

Are you bringing your new AS to The Bash? What are you towing the 23 footer with your Honda? I towed my Scotty last weekend on a 250 miles round trip with the Grand Caravan. It did great and I got 14.5 mpg.

Ace

Old 05-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #296
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Glad to hear the Grand Caravan is doing well. That's impressive fuel economy. They're great tow vehicles.

The new-to-us Airstream is coming to the BASH! (If all goes to plan, the Argosy goes to its new owner shortly.) Need to replace the dead batteries so we can actually boondock with the Safari though - just had a 3 day weekend with essentially a very posh aluminum tent.

Original plan was indeed to tow with the Odyssey. But I'm getting a good deal on a 2011 Dodge Durango (nickname: the "Heminator") so we plan to buy that. It's quieter, has more gadgets, and a pile more torque.

Tom

Old 05-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #297
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Quote:
Glad to hear the Grand Caravan is doing well. That's impressive fuel economy. They're great tow vehicles.

The new-to-us Airstream is coming to the BASH! (If all goes to plan, the Argosy goes to its new owner shortly.) Need to replace the dead batteries so we can actually boondock with the Safari though - just had a 3 day weekend with essentially a very posh aluminum tent.

Original plan was indeed to tow with the Odyssey. But I'm getting a good deal on a 2011 Dodge Durango (nickname: the "Heminator") so we plan to buy that. It's quieter, has more gadgets, and a pile more torque.

Tom
Hey Tom

You will love the Durango as a TV. But going from the Honda as a everyday driver. The gas mileage will have you crying
We wanted to go camping over the weekend. But we couldn't get a site within 150 miles from our home. Kind of glad we stayed home. It was to hot to camp without AC.

Ace in PA
(See Ya Soon)

Old 05-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #298
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
We'll be going from 20-21 overall with the Honda to about 17 with the Durango. (Towing fuel economy goes from just under 15 with the van to just under 13 with Heminator.) Juliet works at home a lot so the commuting cost difference won't be too bad.

It's cheaper to just pay the extra gas money than it would be to insure/maintain/register a fuel-efficient commuter pod/second car, and I don't want to maintain a truck as a tow vehicle. Plus I'd save more $$ using tax incentives to go geothermal on the house...

It was a hot one this weekend. Luckily our riverfront site in Vermont was cooler, if still muggy.

Tom
Old 05-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #299
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Quote:
It's cheaper to just pay the extra gas money than it would be to insure/maintain/register a fuel-efficient commuter pod/second car, and I don't want to maintain a truck as a tow vehicle. Plus I'd save more $$ using tax incentives to go geothermal on the house...
Tom
Very wise thinking. I do have a TV my 2002 Chevy 3500. I didn't buy it new and I paid cash for it. It has served me well for the last 5 years. I would have never got a new one with a payment book. As you my remember my brother is a car wholesaler. That means I get killer deals on cars (Way below book)

Life is good when have family in the car business

Ace
Old 06-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #300
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Just giving this thread a little BUMP...

Fact: Gas is now $1.50 less than was predicted when we opened registration

We still have room for anyone interested in coming. You are welcome to just show up, but we would love to know you are coming so bacon can be planned for you and also the main entree for Saturdays dinner. Saturday night is a bring a side dish event, we supply the main entree. Wednesday, we will be putting out everything except your drinks. Make sure you come early in the day so you can get set up before the party begins.

So far no one has said "I am a vegetarian. I want to be dazzled by my non meat entree." If you are a vegetarian, please let Ace or I know so we can be sure your meal is taken care of. Before I became a bacontarian, I was a vegetarian for about 8 years. I can more than accommodate...

Many have just finished attending a major event in Ohio, and if you are looking for a similar event, the Bash might not be the one. We do not have any contests or seminars planned. The plan is to relax, eat well, enjoy each others company and laugh a lot. This is vacation, not Airstream School. There will be live music, there will be a big breakfast every single day, there will be some potlucks, a Happy Hour everyday, and there will be a huge campfire every night. The rest will be up to you.

We are upping the motto; See more, do more, live more, and laugh more.

Once again, we would love to have you join us, we have room for literally 500 trailers. The group size is ideal right now, but we want anyone thinking about coming to feel free to come. All are welcome!

And a friendly reminder; THIS IS A NON POLITICAL EVENT. PLEASE LEAVE YOUR PERSONAL POLITICS AND CLUB POLITICS AT HOME.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #301
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Hey All

Yes Frank is right there is room for all. The Cooper's have closed the campground for us. The only other people that will be there is The Scotty group and one other small group on the hilltop. They putting up a big tent just for us and will be pumping out tanks at no charge. We have rented tables and chairs for everyone. As you can see in the photo Cooper's Lake can handle us all!

Hope to see you there.

Ace in PA

Old 06-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #302
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Draw a line down the center of the lake and everything on right half is at our disposal....
Old 06-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #303
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to AirVintage
Hi all!

Will know tomorrow for sure if we are joining. I am 99% certain at this point, just have to have my boss at work sign my vaca request. We are very excited, just purchased our AS in March and have really wanted to get to a rally.

This whole boondocking thing scares us a bit. If water is supplied, all we need is electric as we do not have a generator. We have 3 small dogs so a/c must be able to be on the whole time. Is there electric we can plug into?

We don't want to have to be away from the rally participants at the full hookups.

Looking forward to it and can't wait to meet more Airstreamers!
TAC OH-28
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
AirVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #304
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Dwayne,
I don't have dogs but seems to me that they did just fine (like we all did) before we had airconditioning. Just keep them in the shade. That's what I'll be doing.
You'll love the rally.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #305
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
Hi BigAl,

Our fridge also only runs on electric so we'll have to have to figure something out. It gas a toggle switch where it can run on gas but it's broken off.

Thanks,
Heather
TAC OH-28
Old 06-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #306
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Air, Your trailer was built to be self contained, I would have no fear of boon docking if I were you. Once you embrace getting off the grid you will drastically increase your camping options and the quality will increase too. The area we are in has no set sites at all, you set up where you like. There is fully shaded woods, wide open grassy areas, and being right on the water. You will chose where you want to be. The area we are camping in has water spigots scattered around. Keeping your tank full is not going to be an issue. Now full time power will be unless you supply it yourself. There will be an area where generators will be allowed even at night. AC was not needed last year, but who knows what Mother Nature will provide us. I have been searching in vain to find the historic trends posted last year, but the elevation, proximity to the Great Lakes, and wooded landscape all around us make for a rather cool climate. As Big Al pointed out we and dogs evolved without AC. If you feel you just have to have full hook ups, there are a number of them right up the hill. I personally encourage you to take the leap and give camping as Wally Byam intended it, a try.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #307
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
Thanks for the response. If we can get our fridge to work off the gas, it won't be an issue. Right now the gas toggle switch is broken off. We're taking the AS out next weekend to see if we can get it to work.

Heather
TAC OH-28
Old 06-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #308
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
the toggle it to turn on or off the electric. The gas is turned on and off by a valve. On your era fridge, the gas valve blocks the electric switch and vise versa.