Old 03-31-2012, 09:50 AM   #211
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander

yes, that's some scrapple in the photo. Being from not around here, it will be something new for you.
All I had for breakfast was a donut without bacon this morning.....pictures are just mean!!!!

I have heard of this scrapple stuff but never had any.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:04 AM   #212
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Scrapple is a much maligned breakfast specialty of the German immigrants that came to the general area I live in. You do not find it outside of about 100 mile radius of my house. Scrapple is everything sausage is, except it has about 40% corn pudding added into it. It is something people love to say they hate because of the name. Sausage is nothing but scraps too, but somehow it is okay scraps since the scraps are not diluted. Hot dogs generally also are about as wholesome as scrapple, but when you emulsify the meat, dye it pink, and jamb it into a casing, somehow it is the All American food.
Honestly, I hope you do not try it, for that leaves more for me.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #213
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Wilmington , DE
scrapple! yum!

Rapa Scrapple

Bridgeville, Delaware's Apple Scrapple Festival
Old 03-31-2012, 10:36 AM   #214
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Scrapple is a much maligned breakfast specialty of the German immigrants that came to the general area I live in. You do not find it outside of about 100 mile radius of my house.
We had scrapple in the Poconos - about 200 miles, but who's counting. My pop-pop loved it.

I was floored when I could get scrapple at an IHOP in Winchester VA. Memories were better than that product, but I assume you also get what you pay for here, as with other meat...

Tom
Old 03-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #215
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by alclad View Post
The first time I had scrapple was in Bridgeville at the Punkin Chunkin fest a few years ago. Damn, it was good! And Frank knows where to get the good stuff.

How you take it is the key to your enjoyment: I like mine crispy on the outside, topped with eggs over easy and a little hot sauce. Two Bloody Mary's later and I'm ready for my first nap, which reminds me.........
Old 03-31-2012, 12:53 PM   #216
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Scrapple is a much maligned breakfast specialty of the German immigrants that came to the general area I live in. You do not find it outside of about 100 mile radius of my house.
Frank... plenty of German immigrants here in WI

The Jones Dairy Farm has made and sold Scrapple here in Fort Atkinson, WI for 120 years

Scrapple
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #217
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
So scrapple doesn't come in a casing? I must admit I'd never heard of it 'til Frank started talking about it 3 or 4 years ago.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:16 PM   #218
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
Everything you want to about Scapple

Scrapple, also known by the Pennsylvania Dutch name pon haus,[1][2] is traditionally a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then panfried before serving. Scraps of meat left over from butchering, not used or sold elsewhere, were made into scrapple to avoid waste. Scrapple is best known as a rural American food of the Mid-Atlantic states (Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Maryland). Scrapple and pon haus are commonly considered an ethnic food of the Pennsylvania Dutch, including the Mennonites and Amish. Scrapple is found in supermarkets throughout the region in both fresh and frozen refrigerated cases.

Composition

Locally called "everything but the oink" or made with "everything but the squeal",[3] scrapple is typically made of hog offal, such as the head, heart, liver, and other scraps, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth. Once cooked, bones and fat are discarded, the meat is reserved, and (dry) cornmeal is boiled in the broth to make a mush. The meat, finely minced, is returned to the pot and seasonings, typically sage, thyme, savory, black pepper, and others, are added.[2][4] The mush is formed into loaves and allowed to cool thoroughly until set. The proportions and seasoning are very much a matter of the region and the cook's taste.[5]
A few manufacturers have introduced beef[6] and turkey varieties and color the loaf to retain the traditional coloration derived from the original pork liver base. Home recipes for chicken and turkey scrapple are also available.[7][8]
[edit] Preparation

Scrapple sandwich at the Delaware state fair

Scrapple is typically cut into quarter-inch to three-quarter-inch slices, and pan-fried until browned to form a crust. It is sometimes first coated with flour. It may be fried in butter or oil and is sometimes deep-fried. Scrapple can also be broiled; this is a good cooking method for those who like their scrapple crispy.
Scrapple is usually eaten as a breakfast food, and can be served plain or with apple butter, ketchup, jelly, maple syrup, honey, or even mustard and accompanied by eggs, potatoes, or pancakes. In some regions, such as New England, scrapple is mixed with scrambled eggs and served with toast.[citation needed] In the Philadelphia area, scrapple is sometimes fried and then mashed with fried eggs, horseradish and ketchup.
[edit] History and regional popularity

Scrapple is arguably the first pork food invented in America. The roots of the culinary traditions that led to the development of scrapple in America have been traced back to pre-Roman Europe.[9] The more immediate culinary ancestor of scrapple was the Low German dish called panhas, which was adapted to make use of locally available ingredients, and it is still called "Pannhaas," "panhoss," or "pannhas" in parts of Pennsylvania.[10] The first recipes were created by Dutch colonists who settled near Philadelphia and Chester County, Pennsylvania in the 17th and 18th centuries.[11] As a result, scrapple is strongly associated with rural areas surrounding Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington D.C. and surrounding eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware and the Delmarva Peninsula. Its popularity on the Delmarva Peninsula is celebrated annually during the "Apple-Scrapple Festival" in Bridgeville, Delaware.
In composition, preparation, and taste, scrapple is similar to the white pudding popular in Ireland, Scotland and parts of England and the spicier Hog's pudding of the West Country of England.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #219
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Scrapple in Visual Form

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010614.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	154744
This is how I prefer to buy it. Produced by an Amish butcher, sold by the pound.

Name:	P1020695.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	580.8 KB
ID:	154743
This is how most people buy it. Rapa has bought out most producers and is virtually all you find in the stores around here(not speaking for Wisconsin or Northeastern PA)

Name:	P1020697.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	154741
I usually cut it about 1/2" thick.

Name:	P1020698.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	639.6 KB
ID:	154740
I find cast iron does the best job of browning it up. Do not let them touch or they will stick together. Do not flip it till it is browned properly. Flip once, then serve. BTW, if the breakfast place you order it deep fries it, it will taste awful in my opinion.

Name:	P1020700.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	510.4 KB
ID:	154739
The perfect combination(for me)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1020696.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	483.3 KB
ID:	154742  
Old 04-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #220
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Hey Ace!!! I bet not many of them have know what Blennd is!!!
Old 04-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #221
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
What's a girl got to do to get some bacon and eggs?

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #222
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
go to your local diner or come to the Birthday Bash
Old 04-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #223
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
Blennd is the Bomb

Quote:
Hey Ace!!! I bet not many of them have know what Blennd is!!!

Lemon Blennd is the bomb! When I was a kid we would go to the mall. The best thing was going to a place called The Pup-A-Go-Go. We would have a hotdog and a Lemon Blennd with crushed ice. That place is gone, but you can still get Lemon Blennd. I get it at my local market. At The Bash III I will have blennd for all at the happy hour.

Bob Heffner's Lemon Blennd Site

Reymer’s Orange Lemon Blennd 1 Gallon | Reamers blog

Ace in PA Heading to the market
Old 04-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #224
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
So scrapple doesn't come in a casing? I must admit I'd never heard of it 'til Frank started talking about it 3 or 4 years ago.
You'll be wishing for cheap chorizo (is that possible?) by the time you finish a heapin' helpin' of scrapple.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote