Old 01-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #57

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
also... Chris might be of some help... wasn't he rebuilding his burner about a year ago? Can't remember where he found his stuff...
Chris did a great job rebuilding his fridge. I gave him my old fridge when I replaced mine with a new one. He might still have some parts kicking around.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn View Post
We went to scout out about the procedure about going across the border and what to expect. Jim was brave and we drove in their vehicle ~ it was easy to just drive across into Mexico. No questions, no stopping, just "go". We were looking where to stop and get our Travel Visa (it has a special name that I am forgetting at the moment) and see where other trailers might go (like a special lane, etc.) Didn't see anything to us that resembled a office for a visitor's travel pass/visa, or directions. So we just drove across and then tried to figure out how to get back to the good old USA!

I always ask the Mexican border patrolmen where the visa office is. They have always been most helpful, one guy even led me there on his motorcycle. It is not far from the border and easy to find. I could lead you there, but don't remember the names of the streets. I always allow an hour to get this done, although it usually takes half that time.

If you have a Mexican Consulate near you, by all means get your visa before leaving home. But it is not worth a special trip, or stopping in Los Angeles to get one. LA is more confusing and harder to get around in a trailer than Tijuana, as far as I'm concerned. Plus more people speak English in TJ than LA, or so it seems.

I wish I was going with you, but my daughter is getting married next week. Next year!

Old 01-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #59
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Ohhh warm weather - I am soo cold and very envious. I second the caution about cell service - It can get outrageously expensive fast. You can turn off the internet connection on your phone and I encourage you to do this unless you are sure it won't be too spendy. Use wifi only - at hot spots.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Dinner tonight, Barbarqued ribs, asparagus, green salad, tea, wine. Outstanding rally type friendship. We also have the best dish "cleaner" in this part of the country. It's 7:25 in the evening and we all in our "T" shirts.

Navigation duties have been changing back and forth on a regular basis. It depends on who leads us astray first. Today it was me. We have used everything from the latest technology to yelling out the window at someone, "Hey California, how do we get the hell out of Tijuana?".

El Cajon and holding for a new entry point tomorrow! We decided everything we've read about Tijuana is likely true.... we drove Hwy 8 to the East and had a interesting drive!
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Sure glad you are having a real adventure. Wish we were with you.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:02 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Uwe's good advice...

Well, we left Chula Vista as Jim noted in an earlier post... drove along the southern border route (Hwy 8) of California to El Cajon. Nice drive, mountains, from about 4,000 feet to our present location at -40 feet from sea level. Cactus, interesting plants, "elephant trees" and even the border fence!

A couple of pics from today via my cell phone. One of the Jordan's driving through the interesting rocks... lots of pet rocks according to Don. The other is a checkpoint by the border patrol... we were about 1/4 mile from the border on this portion of Hwy 8.

Warmer weather, sunshine... life is getting better all the time! At the RV park tonight met a couple from Washington State who rode their motorcycle all the way to Cabo San Lucas ~ they had a good experience overall a few places they were a bit disappointed, but had a positive feeling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pet rocks hwy 8.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	93827   Click image for larger version

Name:	border patrol.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	93828  

My blogs: http://yrekahistory.blogspot.com
http://siskiyoucountycamping.blogspot.com
http://campingalongi-5.blogspot.com/
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:22 AM   #63

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi View Post
We also have the best dish "cleaner" in this part of the country.
What? Don't tell me G.G. is on this crazy adventure too!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:47 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello... Wish for some of that warmth here... brrrrrrrrrr... looking like a great trip.... if you are going next winter we will be in Texas and heading west for January 2011.. great pics and great reading from here as we freeze...
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:44 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Well this is too cool, I feel like I DID come with you guys.....

Now I can look at the photos and read what you are doing right from the comfort (if you call 40 degrees in Ojai comfortable) of my own backyard. I am going to light the fire in my "Lil Camper" portable barbeque to keep me warm as I read this.

Carol
Old 01-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Mt. Vernon , Washington
Have you run into the police/military yet? Last time we were in Mexico we had to stop for an 'inspection' out in the middle of nowhere by a group of very young military who were looking for weapons and drugs. I can't imagine we looked suspicious. We were riding in a white van..lol.
Stay safe and post more pics!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Sounds like a wonderful trip, and it's only just started. Keep posting whenever you can - you have a following.

I'm off to work on our "new" '71 A/S in the hope that trips to Baja will happen again soon.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
San Felipe

Well we made it to San Felipe. The weather is great. Just what we were looking for. Yes we were stopped by the military and searched. The guys were great. They got a great kick out of the small piece of rope we tied to the door as a safety to the door opening by surprise. They kept looking at it and laughing and saying "Mexican". I think they saw it as a "Mexican" way of making a quick fix. I mentioned that that was the way Americans do it to and they laughed again. They were very polite and the stop was no problem.
Uwe, we went down to the camping spot south of the town and no one was there. I believe they were closed for the season. A very cool place however. We will try it next time. We came across the bottom of California and I have never seen so many mountains made up of rocks and boulders. I thought they were great.

Hi this is Claudia now... because of the super slow connection we are "sharing" this post! The roads coming down to San Felipe were "interesting" ... a reasonable 2 lane road, then repair and off the side for a few miles on packed dirt... back to pavement, then off again... but all in all we found it much better than the San Diego freeway which bounced us around much more than we like. Don has made a few "field" repairs, the water pump shorted out because of the bumpy roads and two wires that happened to jiggle into a position where they rubbed together, and he got the refrigerator cobbled back together (the little ceramic piece) and the flame is now working great, but it isn't cooling. Tomorrow is Burp the reefer day!

We are sitting on a picnic bench from another campsite closer to the wifi connection so we can get online... we have a rocking 36mps! It is dark and balmy, however, and we are listening to the local fishermen as they come in from the days catch. A
bove the bathrooms here, is a local nightclub and hot spot... the locals seem to enjoy partying, the club seemed to close about the time the fishermen went out... hum....

Hope all is well with everyone. After this post we will try to make another with a picture or two, not sure if at this "speed" we can get it done tonight! Cheers.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:38 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Here is the picture post try. This is a shot of the "off on to the dirt sectio of the road". We felt like we were off roading in Mexico.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mexico offroad.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	93905  
Old 01-11-2010, 09:55 PM   #70
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Beautiful territory

Wish I was there with you guys.. what a fun trip! Here's our pics..

Vinnie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC07973.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	93906   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07974.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	93907  

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn