Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2010, 12:44 PM   #161
3 Rivet Member

wasco , Oregon
Jim & Cheryl

Thanks for the evaluation of your trip. Molly and I were in Arizona for the month of Jan. and followed you guys on the forum with interest.

Arizona was fun and the old MH ran 3,747 miles without even a hickup, no border crossings and no extra insurance---good trip. Maybe next year we can do a mini ralley in AZ.

May want to check to see which AZ. state parks remain open though. Nine out of twenty seven are on the AZ. closure hit list. Picacho Peak and others are closing.

See ya Bob and Molly
Old 01-31-2010, 01:02 PM   #162
3 Rivet Member

wasco , Oregon
RE; ARIZONA STATE PARK CLOSURES

Jim, I had it wrong, only nine state parks in AZ. will remain OPEN,---Dead Horse is one that will remain open---all others are on the block!

Bob and Molly
Old 01-31-2010, 02:36 PM   #163
3 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Mt. Vernon , Washington
Jim and Cheryl,
Enjoyed reading your trip evaluation.....it sounds amazing, in so many ways. There's always going to be adventures, when you're in an 'Air~'....isn't that what we all have joked about
Loren and I are glad to see you will be joining all of us at Ft. Stevens. We look forward to seing you and listening to your 'tales'.
Carolyn
L&C Woogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:42 PM   #164
3 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Mt. Vernon , Washington
Don and Claudia...
You guys are such great troopers....'Airs', to be sure! Can't wait to hear more.
Loren and I hope you both will start feeling better real soon and will want to head north for the rally. Rest up....lots o' liquids, and all that. Think of all the stories you have to tell!!
Carolyn
L&C Woogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:32 PM   #165
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm View Post
The negatives on the trip are also worth mentioning……here are a few:
  • Mexican insurance was expensive, checking three different companies, the cheapest was $407 for TV (20K) and trailer (30K) for up to 21 days (we only stayed 8 days, but still had to pay that much).
  • Campsites in San Felipe were no bargain, paying $30 a day for full hookups on the beachfront. We could have stayed at another place about 5 miles outside of town for $15 a night with no hookups and showers were $2 extra. We were prepared for boondocking, but didn’t see the value and there seemed to be no one there to look after things if we left our rigs. No other campers were there and we didn’t feel as safe as we did among the campers at Campo San Felipe right in town and could walk to restaurants and coffee shop for wi-fi fixes.
  • While many of our photos portrayed a pristine setting on the beach, the city was filthy, trash was everywhere (the campground where we stayed did keep things pretty clean while we were there). The city needs to clean up its act if they want to be a popular travel destination. We were told that unemployment was 50% in the area and could explain why many places were shut down or out of business. We applaud Ron & Debbie, for their contributions to the local food bank in feeding the unemployed and hungry.
I would never have guessed insurance would be this high.

The fee sounds about right for beachfront to me, but not if the setting was compromised by all of these negatives.

Keeping trash/litter off the roadside is a major undertaking in any culture. Had it not been for some of the Public Service Commercials broadcast during my childhood I probably would have more tolerance for litterbugs. Fortunately the message stuck and was passed along to the next generations.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:35 PM   #166
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn View Post
We will have to post a few more pics and give a "report" on our loooooong trip home (if you count all the days waiting for decent weather in SoCal along with a bumper rebuild...) We also had a tire come apart (not flat!) about 90 miles from home. Did a little damage to the wheel well, but I haven't got the pictures downloaded yet.

Still hugging my kleenex box and drinking orange juice.
Looking forward to seeing more photos once you two are well.

Thanks for the trip: it was fun.
Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:49 PM   #167
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Insurance ~ while Jim & Cheryl have a much newer trailer and tow vehicle... we found insurance coverage options miserable for our vintage trailer and vintage tow vehicle. While we have full coverage here in the states.... I couldn't find anyone willing to cover other than liability in Mexico. Risky business. Costco had a link to an insurance company and even though the online option said it wouldn't cover a vehicle over 15 years old it did print out and allowed me to buy it online....I rather think it was a glitch, but when I tried to do the same for the trailer, no joy. Only was able to obtain liability for the trailer via the truck. Our truck: 1968, our trailer: 1963. Our total cost for the liability for 2 weeks was something around $130. Most policies clearly state that anything over 2 or 3 weeks is the same price as 6 months. So with that in mind, Jim's suggestion of going for a longer period is a smart one.

No one sells Mexican insurance within the US border that I could find actually... if they did they represented some company south. I called our regular carrier and they recommended a company (the name escapes me...) but they wouldn't touch vintage. This is an issue that needs to be addressed in advance of going by a bit of time! Lots of folks are advised to wait until the border crossing (once you cross customs there are a line of offices, rooms, etc. that have huge signs to buy insurance here!) I wouldn't advise this... unless you are a seasoned Mexico traveler and have a usable Spanish vocabulary. However, since my Spanish is limited to ordering beer.... that wasn't an option for us!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote