Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Avion Travelcade 2014

This one is for the Silver Sisters with Avion's on here. I know there are a few of us...

Travelcade 2014 is going on right now, and the folks at it seem to be having a real blast! Wish I could have gone, but they left just as I got back from a 2400 mile trip of my own. After two weeks on the road, we were ready for a break.

If you think Airstream's are a rare sight on the road, Avion's are even more so. The last travel trailers were built in 1988 (well at least the last silver ones), with a few fifth wheels in '89 or '90. And there never were as many as Wally's trailers. Those of us that have them tend to really like them though.

Anyway, I thought this first picture was really cool. The most Avion's I've ever seen together at one time.

Second two are shameless pics of my rig on my vacation. One in St. Augustine at the beach, second at Carolina Crossroads on the way home showing my way cool custom tail lights.

I like all the silver trailers. Someday I'd like to go to a Tin Can Tourist rally or similar that's got them all!

Ride Easy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Travelcade 2014.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	217686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 058.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	217687  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 087.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	217688  
Old 05-24-2016, 10:24 PM   #2
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Hi Jim,

How are you getting the Travelcade info, & do you know if they're still going on? We'd like to plan to go to one once we have our own TV, vs. renting them from Enterprise which limits us in state here in CA.

I'd heard that they stopped doing them after this 2014, due to lack of someone to run it, or something like that.

We have a restored 1960 Avion T20 (#2 off the line) & just got back from Pismo last weekend, when we were talking with Chris ?? there, who is on here with an 80's big Avion who mentioned it.

Some pix of it are here...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f417...ers-99135.html

Also, I note that you're in Berkely Springs, but not sure if you're a long time family there, or a more recent transplant. .... if a long timer, then we may be related!?

My Mom's side of the family is from there & Paw Paw from way way back, pre-history day, coming from the Youngbloods, Whisners, etc. other families all related back there.

Take Care!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
This is a two year old thread.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:25 AM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
But the originator is a long time contributor. And will probably be around, soon.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Correct.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
July 14-17 This Year

Hi Tom, I don't come on here as often as I used to, but still get on from time to time. The 2016 Silver Avion Fellowship Rally is in Elkheart IN July 14-17. I'm a member of a FB group for them. You should join. https://www.facebook.com/events/1718940468328928/ Sad to say my Avion didn't come out at all last year. Changed jobs and not much vacation so we flew to vac last summer. Had a blast going for two weeks the summer before though and going place to place to place. I looked at your pictures and you've got your's fixed up pretty nicely. I really want to get mine out this year. I've done a bunch of work to it and have it just about the way we want it....though I still haven't gotten my Tiki Hut curtains yet Don't know if I'll make to Elkheart myself, but I always hear back that they had a good time. I'm a native of Berkeley Springs. I know both Whisner's and Youngblood's. Small world! Take care,
Old 05-26-2016, 06:58 PM   #7
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
Hi Tom, I don't come on here as often as I used to, but still get on from time to time. The 2016 Silver Avion Fellowship Rally is in Elkheart IN July 14-17. I'm a member of a FB group for them. You should join. https://www.facebook.com/events/1718940468328928/ Sad to say my Avion didn't come out at all last year. Changed jobs and not much vacation so we flew to vac last summer. Had a blast going for two weeks the summer before though and going place to place to place. I looked at your pictures and you've got your's fixed up pretty nicely. I really want to get mine out this year. I've done a bunch of work to it and have it just about the way we want it....though I still haven't gotten my Tiki Hut curtains yet Don't know if I'll make to Elkheart myself, but I always hear back that they had a good time. I'm a native of Berkeley Springs. I know both Whisner's and Youngblood's. Small world! Take care,
Thanx Jim.

Not sure if we can make the 2016 one, unless we secure our own TV by then & then my wife would have to get vacation time late in the year (hard as a hospital nurse, but I'm self-employed, so mire flexible).

However, I will get on that spacebook page for it so we're in the loop.

The decorating is all the prior owners who restored it before us, & my wife's vintage goodies she's been collecting for decades!

We've been doing 3-5 long weekends at vintage trailer rallies & just camping out with other vintage trailer friends - mostly limited by time, work & rental TVs limiting us in state, but that will change when we get our own TV & my wife retires in a couple of years or so. With the trailer & her "Glamping" - we finally have some sort of camping that she'll do with me since the kids are both grown & gone!

Last time we were back there was 2000 or 01 & visited with a mess of cousins at the Youngblood Antique shop at the end of town. Is it still there?

Best Wishes & get out in that Silver Twinkie - even for a weekend!
Tom & Jana
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
Old 05-26-2016, 07:01 PM   #8
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
This is a two year old thread.
As you can see above, sometimes it's worth a try!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 05-31-2016, 04:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Still There

Hi Tom,

Yes, Louie's place is still there and nicer than ever. In fact, the American Pickers were there a couple months ago. I actually live back the road beside it a few mlles

I hope to get the twinkie out some this year. We'll see.

take care,