Old 09-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Whistle Stop

Sounds like you guys are busy. But if you get a chance stop by the Whistle Stop Restaurant in Glendale, Ky. Just can't beat the lunch specials and wonderful atmosphere.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:01 PM   #16
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Which Sites are Best?

Hi maccamper,

Which sites at the campground do you like? I called and asked for a map of the campground but it is not available electronically (PDF or JPG for example). For the Antsy show next month I would like a shaded spot, away from the bathhouse, away from the road, if possible. Which site number should I request. Any help is appreciated.

That BBQ competition sounds great. Are you a spectator? A judge? Just tasting?

fltlevel510,

We'll be there next month a day in advance. We'll put Whistle Stop on our possible list of places to eat. Sounds good!

Lucius

2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltlevel510 View Post
Sounds like you guys are busy. But if you get a chance stop by the Whistle Stop Restaurant in Glendale, Ky. Just can't beat the lunch specials and wonderful atmosphere.
Thanks for the tip! We'll give the Whistle Stop a try. Link to Whistle Stop: The Whistle Stop Glendale Kentucky It's only about 12 miles from us. Think we'll head for Bardstown tomorrow.

Nancy Mac
Old 09-27-2009, 08:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
Hi Lucius,

We'll do a more thorough scouting of the campground tomorrow. We like the spot we're in (#5) but it is by the office and bathhouse. Some of the sites are only water and electric. Road noise is also a bit more intrusive on some of the sites. This campground is a former KOA and was probably way out in the country a few years ago till Interstate 65 came by.

Laird is a Kansas City Barbeque Society (KCBS) judge so that's the reason for the BBQ competitions. He doesn't compete yet he does do some pretty great smoking and BBQ-ing himself -- and I'm not a bit biased.

Nancy Mac
Old 09-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #19
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
If You Got Em, Smoke Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccamper View Post
He doesn't compete yet he does do some pretty great smoking and BBQ-ing himself -- and I'm not a bit biased.
Almost any meat (pork, beef, chicken) and some fish tastes great when smoked. I've been experimenting with pork butt, beef brisket and chicken for several years and the results are pretty good. I use a gas grill (I know, I know... smokin' on a gas grill? What gives?) and it's very convenient to put the meat on one side (with the burner off) and generate the smoke on the other side (with the burner on) so the meat is cooked with indirect heat.

We've got the recipe/technique defined so Danielle sometimes cooks the meat on her day off and it's ready to pull/slice when I get home from work.

Lucius
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
Old 10-02-2009, 07:49 AM   #20
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Lucius,

We're discussing attending.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:29 AM   #21
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
I made a reservation at the campground for Thur-Sat night. The nice lady at the campground said she assigns the sites as we arrive. She talked up the yard sale event. Must be a big thing for them.

Bob contacted me this morning about the show, tickets are still available.

1976 24' Argosy
Old 10-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
Sites at Crossroads

We're still at Crossroads. We can understand why the hosts will wait to make site assignments. This is a small campground, a former KOA, with only about 44 sites. Many of the 44 sites will not accommodate travel trailers 27 ft or longer.

We're in #5. Sites 4, 5 and 6 in the front row seem to have a little less noise from the interstate (65N). Site 4 is next to an interior campground road and right next to the dump station. Two cabins and 3 small sites with water and electric only are across from us. A couple of times when the wind was right (or wrong) we've gotten a whiff of the sewer dump. We would ask for this site again in cool weather but would have some concern about the fragrance from the dump in hot weather.

The campground does seem to be popular among the big motorhome and big fifth wheel group for one night stopovers. I'm not sure that many full service sites are available each night. Several sites seem to be permanently or semi-permanently occupied.

Immediately behind us on Lisa Lane (second row) the sites are full service. Sites 20-21-22-23 on that row have had campers in and out of them on a regular basis. Site 20 is a bit close to an interior campground road yet does seem to have the most space around it. Sites 21, 22 and 23 are a bit close. They probably wouldn't be bad if the rally group had those 4 sites together.

If you don't need sewer, the third row (Brooke Drive) has a couple of sites that look good -- Sites 35 and 36. An Airstream stayed in Site 36 one night while we were here. As you move further back in the campground, the road noise is louder and the services are more limited.

We had some concerns about our electric service when we first arrived. Our voltage would drop abnormally when we plugged in a coffeemaker or hot pot (not at the same time). An electrician has been on site and appears to be installing an electric service box for this site.

The campground office is about three sites from us. The shower and bathroom facilities are on the far side of the office away from us. The fixtures are old but the facility is kept very, very clean. We've used the laundramat while we were here and it was fine.

Tomorrow the campground is having a pig roast. I'm a bit bummed because I thought they were roasting the pig on site but it is being roasted off site and brought here to serve. The cost to attend the pig roast is $3 per person and we're supposed to bring a covered dish to share.

The campground has been relatively quiet in terms of camper activity and the hosts have been very friendly. Laird and I have enjoyed walking the interior roads in the evening to get our steps in. This is a small, private campground and we would stay here again. We're pulling out of here Sunday morning and have thoroughly enjoyed our last 10 days in Kentucky.

Nancy Mac
Old 10-03-2009, 10:26 PM   #23
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
One, Two, Three...

nvestysly, Rhonda, now Ike T - it's a rally of three and all of us are traveling across multiple state lines to get to the show. Where's the representation from Kentucky? Tennessee? Ohio? Indiana? Illinois?

This is going to be one fun event. If we had more representation from Airforums we could really make a showing at the concert. Some might even think it was a movement. It would be a semi-precious metal symposium!

Thanks maccamper for all the useful information.

Lucius
Old 10-04-2009, 09:37 AM   #24
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Believe it or not, I'm thinking about a costume for the event. This *could* get serious.

1976 24' Argosy
Old 10-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia
Brad and I would love to attend as we had a lot of fun at the last Antsy concert. (We would like to see Tim in costume also!). Unfortunately, we have old neighbors visiting us for that weekend and camping in our driveway so we can't go. Have fun!
Old 10-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #26
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenjude View Post
Brad and I would love to attend as we had a lot of fun at the last Antsy concert. (We would like to see Tim in costume also!). Unfortunately, we have old neighbors visiting us for that weekend and camping in our driveway so we can't go. Have fun!
Bring your old neighbors to Kentucky. We might have 2 non-trailer friends owners join us as well. They were raised in Alabama, so they can totally relate to Antsy.

To sweeten the offer... If you attend, I will wear a costume.

If you'd like us all to flirt with death, be sure to bring Brad along, too!

1976 24' Argosy
Old 10-04-2009, 05:45 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
The campground owners at Crossroads are really nice folks. I'm sure that they'll work with you all to put the Airstream group in nice spots. An RV Park review described the campground as a small "Mom and Pop" campground. That's a good assessment; the campground is an extension of their home and yard.

Last night another Airstream stayed in the campground so that makes two Airstreams that came and went while we were there --- would that be a "distributed" rally?

The leaves were just beginning to turn as the nights got cooler. Your drive to E-town has the potential to be a beautiful, colorful one.

Enjoy and safe travels,

Nancy Mac
Old 10-06-2009, 07:50 PM   #28
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Cool Nights, Cool Polyester, Cool Concert

I'm looking forward to the cool nights and fall colors. I filled the propane tanks so we'll be ready to turn on the furnace if needed.

Polyester is always in style at a Troubadours show so we'll have to bring some cool fashions for the weekend.

This is sure to be a way cool concert with lots of humor and insight from Antsy and the band.

Just over a week to go - can't wait!

Lucius