Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #221
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
At least you were not hurt, you can always find another motor home.
When you registered for Alumapalooza, you were given the option to purchase cancellation insurance. If you purchased the insurance, all you have to do is follow the instructions for canceling. If you did not purchase the insurance, the responsibility and cost for not attending, for whatever the reason, is yours exclusively.

And if you check back in this thread, you will see I had an accident with our tow vehicle a couple of weeks before departure. I also did not purchase the insurance, but at no time did I blame Alumapalooza for my lack of foresight. I was able to piece our truck back together just in time to attend, but it could very easily have not happened.
Hi, I wonder if Alumafandango offers this insurance, I didn't see anything about it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #222
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Unfortunately the trip cancellation insurance we offered for Alumapalooza is not available for Alumafandango, for reasons beyond our control. We're looking for alternatives now.

But a number of companies offer trip cancellation insurance that you can buy independently, and also some auto policies and roadside service programs include a benefit for trip cancellation. It's a good idea, if you aren't comfortable with the refund policy you're agreeing to at time of registration.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #223
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
In 2011 we planned to attend our first Alumapalooza even though we did not own an Airstream. We paid in advance the walk in entry fee and had reservations at the Hampton Inn at Sydney. Shortly before our departure my wife's father went into the hospital and we were not able to go.

Fortunately we were able to cancel the hotel reservation in advance of its no cancellation period. It did not occur to us to ask for a refund from the organizers of Alumapalooza. We understood the no refund policy when we paid our fee. Plus at the time we changed our plans we recognized the event organizers would have already incurred the expenses associated with our commitment to attend. It was not our fault my father-in-law got sick and it wasn't Alumapalooza's responsibility to refund us the money because he did. I'd have felt the same way if our inability to attend had been due to an auto accident, my employer requiring me to stay home and work, my wife being sick, or any other personal reason.

The operators of Alumapalooza did the right thing in holding to their cancellation policy. They assumed the financial risk of putting on the event and deserve to be paid by the people who committed to attending and for who they incurred substantial costs. Furthermore it would not be fair to others who paid and didn't attend (for whatever reason) if Alumapalooza made even one exception to the no refund policy.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:48 AM   #224
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
We signed up for Alumafandango last week, and the cancellation insurance was added for 20$,,, While I certainly feel for your problem,,, I can see why they can't make an exception as it wouldn't be fair to those who did pay for insurance. Think of it this way: If you don't have fire insurance on your motor home, should you still get your loss covered just because your nice folks and are deserving. So please don't let this ruin it for you,,, get another Airstream or fix yours up, and come next year,,, we look forward to meeting and friending you down the road.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:57 AM   #225
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I just thought I'd report back that I made the chocolate cobbler this weekend at the Airplanes & Airstreams rally...it was a big success! Everyone loved it and it was yummy. My only issue was cleanup, as the sugar stuck hard to the sides, which took some soaking. Admittedly, this was my new pot--but it's looking dry, so I'm going to reseason it. Next time, I think I'll use my insertable pan & greased foil around the sides.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #226
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva View Post
...I made the chocolate cobbler this weekend... next time, I think I'll use greased foil around the sides.
In other words, you're going to bake it in aluminum... in aluminum.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #227
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Yes! Sadly foil is the worst quality aluminum out there and (sigh) T1 foil is out of my reach...