Old 01-15-2011, 04:17 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Westfield , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robfike View Post
Rich,
If your caravan is coming through Indianapolis, lest us know. We may just jump on with you.

Us, too!

Old 01-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #16
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
Rich's caravan

I would join at some point as well.....

WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
something for kids to do?

We're looking at coming to this, but as is always a concern for us at this stage of our life...what can our kids do? At the time of the rally, we'll have a 3 year old and an almost 5 year old. We are only about 3 hours drive from the plant / rally site and some of the suggested "things to do" on the Alumapalooza website would actually require us to drive back past our house and the kids have no interest.

Before I'm dropping the coin on the event, what can my kids do? I can't justify paying $200+ only to have Andrea or I sitting in/near the AS to watch over the kids while they watch the same movies that they can in our living room for free. Please be honest, we would much rather save my money if there is nothing to entertain the kids. We want to know if we fit the rally, not if the rally fits us.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Last year

We were there last year. There were many seminars that kept all of the adults very busy. Many were close together and we had so much to do that lunch was just a quick bite and back to see the next presentation. By the way, they were just great. Rich says there are more to come this year. However, we are parked in a huge field....not playgrounds on the JC grounds. Did not see much for them to do. There is a bicycle museum, but that is a 30 min.?? drive away. I don't remember seeing any children many children there last year. Maybe someone else will chime in.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
We were there last year, and will be again this year. Alumapalooza coincides with Jackson Center Community Days, which has parades, live bands, car/bike/truck shows, and lots of activities for kids. If I recall, there was a lot to do there for everyone, and many of the activities centered around kids. The people of Jackson Center were wonderful, and many we met had some connection to Airstream. Here is a link to the Jackson Center Community Day schedule of events for last year (it took some time to load up), and a link to their Facebook page to give you a better idea.

Village of Jackson Center: Community Days

Jackson Center Community Days | Facebook
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:58 AM   #20
_

. , .
j/c daze is kid centric.

with all of the inflated toy jumping pits, crawl tubes, horsey rides other mega toys, edibles and so on.

but it's a bit of a reach to expect organized events for PREschoolers...

it ain't orlando and there is no disney daycare.

like all stream gatherings U get from it what u need.

and if u need a finger painting table or crafts or kiddie naps or milk/cookie hour...

create it.

no doubt anyone ELSE with PREschoolers will welcome this

and join your germspreading runny nosed efforts...

perhaps it's time to leave them with relatives and have an adult escape weekend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
... I can't justify paying $200+ only to have Andrea or I sitting in/near the AS to watch over the kids...
maybe u need a baby sitter?

there are probably a/s Gee-parent types attending who would LOVE 2sit with them,

or local teenage girls in j/c who are sitters, it would be easy to get this info...
________

or just take them over to the plant and find bob wheeler's office...

by noon they'll be working the assembly line with the other skilled workers...

the shift ends at 3:30 so you'll still need to arrange coverage during happy hour

and the naked coed jeLLo shots N horseshoes tournament...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:02 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Yeah, there's lots of options for short-term relief of the kids. The JC town event surely would have something for them to do. Unfortunately, that still leaves about 10 non-sleeping hours that they still expect mommy and daddy to provide a means of entertainment.

The idea of putting them in Wheeler's office is a novel one. I could hold their removal from his office as ransom for a new Airstream.

I have my own bounce house that could be used on-site. Maybe I could get enough other parents to "unplug" from the 3A to show their foregoing of a connection in favor of the bounce house air pump taking 4-5 of those amps. In that same spirit, how many people are bringing young kids? Please speak up. Perhaps Mr. Luhr you can tell us how many kids are registered? I don't think you charge for kids, so maybe not. Any way that we can have a "kids section" where all of us with kids can park close to each other and maybe where there's some open space behind our trailers? Give some kids an open space to run, maybe a ball or two, and they'll make up their own activities.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:12 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Interesting idea about the bouncy house! We can make electricity available for it not far from the general camping area. But we need to check with the insurance company to make sure that would be kosher.

We have 10 kids registered but as you point out, kids are free and we aren't sure that all the kids who coming are registered. Deb Woods is organizing a kids' program which I don't yet have details on, and we are looking into getting some soccer nets from the town to set up in an open space.

Last year some older "kids" brought kites to fly, and other toys so feel free to use your imagination ...

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
...it's a bit of a reach to expect organized events for PREschoolers...
I think it is a bit of a stretch to think families are going spend hundreds of dollars to attend an event that is organized 100% for the entertainment of the old fogies.

What the hell is wrong with having some planned activities for the kids?
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr View Post
We have 10 kids registered but as you point out, kids are free and we aren't sure that all the kids who coming are registered. Deb Woods is organizing a kids' program which I don't yet have details on, and we are looking into getting some soccer nets from the town to set up in an open space.
That's an award winning response. It begs me to ask though...is this shown on the Alumapalooza website? This bit of info is something that would be of great interest to other people like myself that are considering attending with kids. I think I've scoured the website quite well in my numerous visits there and it seems like there's more info about LAST year than THIS year?!? Is it supposed to be a surprise for those that show up?
Old 02-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
We are coming from Arkansas and would caravan if do-able...
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:56 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
We're looking at coming to this, but as is always a concern for us at this stage of our life...what can our kids do? At the time of the rally, we'll have a 3 year old and an almost 5 year old.
When I attended the original factory rally with my family as a small kid in the early 1980's and a few subsequent ones, I clearly remember riding my bike through Jackson Centre to the "youth building" that was staffed by Airstream family members and attendees. There were arts and crafts and games and other things to do. We never watched television or movies at a rally. It was a different time and we had tons of fun- such good memories.

I know my parents helped with the planning of activities in the youth building. They learned early that the way to get preferential parking and other small perks was to volunteer your time.

I also remember seeing Old Granddad as a kid and thinking it was a very strange looking trailer. There was also a factory parade and I always wanted to pull a wagon decorated to look like an AS with my bike, but Dad never was interested in making that happen.

We can pick out our trailer in the aerial photos of that first factory rally. (1980?) Dad knows right where we were parked!
Old 02-15-2011, 02:08 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Reading the newletter for the village of JC also reminded me that we went to the Jackson Centre community pool when I was a kid at those original factory rallies and always got upset during the "adult swim" time which was the last 15 minutes of every hour or something like that. We would sit and pout in the baby pool until the whistle was again blown for us to dive into the big one!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Mid-Atlantic Caravan to Alumapalooza

A few of the members of the WDCU unit have signed up for Alumapalooza. We would like to meetup with other Airstreamers somewhere along the route and caravan together to the Jackson Center. This will be an informal caravan.

We are looking for suggestions from those who would be interested in joining us or meeting up with us along the way. We haven't decided on the exact route. In fact, there may be more than one choice for those who care to participate.

Possiblities for routes are:

I70 > I68 > I79 > I70 >I270 >US33 > ST274 >Jackson Center

I70(PA TPK) >I270 >US33 > ST274 >Jackson Center

I70 > I68 > US50 > I77 > I70 >I270 >US33 > ST274 >Jackson Center

I81 > I64 > I77 > I70 >I270 >US33 > ST274 >Jackson Center

We need to decide: When? and Where? If you have an interest in this please send an email (email address is located here: WDCU website Caravan article) with your ideas on a location and time. When we have a consensus for these two items we will post the information here as well as notify the interested participants.
Caravanning is a lot of fun and a great way to meet new friends on the road. If you’ve got time to join up with us, even just one other Airstream on the way, we’ve got a caravan and I’m sure we’ll have fun along the way!

Res nolunt diu male administrari.

WDCU Unit #170
Air #7085

TAC VA-4
WBCCI #2641
VAC
71 Caravel
69 Tradewind

My YouTube Channel
TWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jackson center days, rally, jackson center