Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Other Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Hey All,

I just got in from the Moraine View rally and took some time to change the rally calendar information for Cape to Cairo. I took out anything that was currently out of the scope for this rally. I also went onto the four Airstream groups on Facebook that I am a member of and posted the rally info there in addition to making an actual event on Facebook for people to RSVP for. I received another two sign up sheets while I was away over the weekend.

I am going to have a site set up for merchandise that anyone can order from. This will include T-shirts, Coffee Mugs, Hoodies, etc, etc. Look for this in the future. All funds generated from the items purchased will go 100% to the funding of this rally. Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Steve
Old 06-14-2009, 06:58 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Sweet!

Very nice area! I'm excited...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
I had to google map the area to see what Mr. Ranch was referring to.

Quite a picturesque place.

76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:59 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Let me know if I can help..
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Hello from annual training.

Amy told me that some registrations have arrived, and I am glad to hea about that.

I have lots to accomplish before September, but were going to have a great rally.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #64
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Kani,

Thanks for your offer. I think we can set some time for Jack to get his Airstream fix up here if you catch my drift! Other than that, fill out that paperwork and get it sent in to me to reserve your spot.

Steve
Old 06-14-2009, 07:27 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Mailing a check tomorrow
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:04 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Just checked the rally calendar update. Steve, you've been busy!
Old 06-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #67
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
It's a labor of love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
Just checked the rally calendar update. Steve, you've been busy!
I don't look at it like work since this event and it's historical context are very important to me. I am going to Cape Girardeau tomorrow to recon the departure points, the park pavilion, the RV park, and hopefully meet with some catering companies.

Do we have anyone interested in boondocking the night before from a long road trip? That may be something that plays into where we depart from.

Steve
Old 06-15-2009, 03:52 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
I could boondock if I can run the generator. My old style trailer battery power won't support much for long. At minimum I need fans to deal with the heat. Maybe even A/C if its as hot there as Tennessee in September.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:10 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
I'm really excite about the Caravan!
Old 06-16-2009, 08:45 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Murphy's Law Strikes Again??

I was just trying to download the pdf brochure so that I could send in the reservation form --- Acrobat 9 on my Windows Vista machine keeps insisting that the file is damaged and cannot be repaired then closes the window. Is anyone else experiencing the same -- my machine has been protesting interactive forms all day today.

Kevin

P.S.: I tried the pdf link in this thread as well as the one in the rally calendar with the same results.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #71
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Kevin,

What is your email and I will send you a copy. I think it will likely not work no matter what. Tried rebooting? Downloaded the latest acrobat?

On Edit I have added them in JPG format. Hope it helps.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cape 1.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	82460   Click image for larger version

Name:	cape 2.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	82461  

Old 06-16-2009, 09:45 PM   #72
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
50th Anniversary Cape(town) to Cairo Caravan and Rally Recon

As you all know, I am hosting the 50th Anniversary Cape(town) to Cairo Airforums gathering this September. This event will start with a short caravan from Cape Girardeau, MO to Cairo, IL and back. We will be camping in Cape once we finish the 68 mile round trip.

Today, I decided to travel to Cape Girardeau to do a few meet and greets with the RV park, chamber of commerce, parks department, and prospective caterers.

The day started out rough. It was pouring in the St. Louis rush hour traffic around 8:30 AM. What normally takes me 20 minutes took double with people acting like they had never seen rain before.

The fun wouldn't end so quickly though, as almost the entire trip to Cape would be a nasty downpour preventing me from attaining the 70 MPH I desperately wanted to go. Several cars were less fortunate and ended up in the median or a ditch.

About 20 miles from Cape, I lucked out. The front was clearing out, and I would be able to drive the rest of the way on relatively dry pavement. I took this picture as I came to the end of the weather system.
As what happens a great deal of the time, luck runs dry...pun intended. The heavens opens and poured down a hard rain as I entered Cape Girardeau. Fortunately for me, the RV Park was less than two miles from the exit.

The RV park is actually located in Cape Girardeau, and not on the outskirts. The workers told me that it was originally a driving range that went under. I am not going to lie, the park is pretty tight. A love thy neighbor type establishment. Due to the large amount of construction in the Cape Girardeau area, the park was packed with full timing construction workers. I was told that a group of pipeline workers was set to leave the first week of September. Due to this being the only park in Cape Girardeau, it is always busy according to staff. There are a few sites that offer water and electric only and are listed as tent sites. They are $20 per night if the park runs out of full hook-up sites.

Park overview from office

Paved main drives

The only Airstream in the park

The park has a nice pool that may still be open during the rally, a small general store, mini golf for the kids, laundry, and restroom facilities. Since there is another rally being held the same weekend as ours, we are unable to use the RV park's recreational center. Our Friday night happy hour and pot luck will be held pond side at the site below. I am asking all of you who have small 10x10 pop up tents or gazebos to bring them. We can move some picnic tables over, and use the fire ring. The owner said we can bring a generator and string lights if we desire. This will give us more room and less congestion than the main camping area. Any musicians among us?

Private pond that is catch and eat. No license required.

Nice level site for Friday evening

After I finished at the RV park the rain started to lighten up. I made my way to Kiwanis park where we have a pavilion reserved for the Saturday evening meal. This was the largest pavilion in Cape Girardeau that I could secure before the rally since other events are being held that weekend.

Kiwanis park is only 2.5 miles from the Cape RV Park and is very easy to get to. The pavilion has four grills and eight picnic tables. With each table seating eight, we should have more than enough room for people and food. There is 110 electric at the pavilion to plug in an amplifier for Pee Wee, and projector if I can secure some slides of the original trip.

For anyone other than us who is bringing kids, there is a huge playground right next to the pavilion that will be a nice distraction for them.
After visiting the park, I had a 1:30 appointment with the Visitor's center that is run by the chamber of commerce. The point was to travel around Cape and find a suitable departure point for the caravan, photograph the bridge lanes, and the main route we will take one in Illinois. I met with Chuck, and we quickly got underway. At first Chuck took me to a few places up river from the bridge so I could get some photos. The bridge is a newly constructed (2004) suspension bridge that took better than a decade to complete.

View from old bridge memorial

Upriver view 1

Upriver view 2

View from downtown Cape Girardeau.

After getting a view, I wanted to get some pictures of the traffic lanes. The bridge is four lanes with two lanes going in each direction. The lanes are generous, and should be no problem for wide body trailers. There is a full shoulder on the bridge in the event of an emergency stop. The pictures below show the east bound lanes into Illinois. The westbound return lanes are identical.

Passing into Illinois

Full Shoulder

After exiting the bridge we will have a short journey until we reach IL-Route 3. Below are pictures of what our entire route should look like. A two lane road with partial paved shoulder. There is enough of a flat grass space that does extended past the paved area in the event we need to stop.

IL-Route 3 to Cairo

Chuck drove me down to Thebes, IL which is about five miles down IL-route 3. At Thebes there was a historical marker for the Great River Road, and oddly enough...two Airstreams. We turned around and headed back to Cape.

80's Excella

70's Overlander?

The last order of business Chuck and I had was to find a departure point for the caravan. This point will also serve as a staging point for anyone who arrives late on the day prior. I explained what we needed was a large parking lot, preferably paved, with an easy route to the bridge. Not that I intend on using several puns, but Chuck hit a home run.

Allow me to present the Shawnee Athletic Complex in Cape Girardeau. This complex houses five
baseball diamonds surrounded by a parking lot. The parking lot makes a full 180 so entering and exiting won't be an issue. There are also public restroom facilities and fresh water that anyone boon docking overnight can utilize. There will be no games in session at the time of the caravan, so privacy should be easy.

Satellite View

Panoramic pic of lot

Not only is the location perfect for staging a caravan, it is extremely close to the bridge. Chuck plans on talking to the city police, and will ask them to block the few intersections off between the park and bridge so we don't lose anyone in traffic due to stop lights. While not entirely a necessity, it would be very convenient to have.

Chuck is going to speak with the Parks and Recreation department to ensure everything runs smoothly with getting Shawnee reserved for us. He also plans to contact the local television, radio stations, and news paper. I hope to see a great amount of press for Airstream and the remembrance of the original caravan.

Before I left town, I stopped in at one of the restaurants I was speaking to about catering. The owners were very nice, and their restaurant was very classy. I feel that they are completely capable to making our Saturday evening meal, but their price is past where our rally fees have been set, and that wouldn't be including other things that need to be taken care of. I am still waiting to hear from a few other places though, and have not ruled anything out completely

It was a long and exhausting day, but it is over now. Hope you all have a better understanding of our September event, and are looking forward to it as much as I am.

Steve
Old 06-16-2009, 09:51 PM   #73
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
If you want a better reading experience feel free to click the link below to my blog. The HTML and photos don't transfer well from blogspot to the Airforums.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 06-16-2009, 10:06 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
50th Anniversary Cape (Town)To Cairo Caravan and Rally

Greetings Steve!

The Jpeg images printed wonderfully -- I will have my reservation in the mail tomorrow.

I really enjoyed your photos as they are a familiar tour. The new bridge is a tremendous change from the old bridge that dated to 1922 and was a toll bridge until 1957. I refused to tow my Airstream over the old bridge and would always tow down to Sikeston and around via the I-57 bridge when I had to make a trip to the West.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #75
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
AWESOME IDEA Cape to Cairo

STEVE: I just want to say what an awesome idea it is to have a 50th anniversary Caravan from Cape Town to Cairo.
(Cairo IL.-Cape Girardeau Mo) I think is a very exciting moment in Airstream History Not to mention that Pee Wee Schwamborn will be there to share actual stories about traveling with Wally....
This will be our 1st caravan and what a great time to be involved in Airstream Life.

Thank you again Steve and Amy for putting this together. I know a lot of time and expense has to go into something of this magnitude.

YOU ROCK DUDE
Old 06-18-2009, 11:22 AM   #76
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Kani,

Thanks for the thoughts. I felt like I was the advance scout for the Caravan by heading down and checking everything out.

September 11th will arrive before you know it.

Steve
Old 06-18-2009, 04:58 PM   #77
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I have received three registrations this week. Keep em coming!

Steve
Old 06-18-2009, 05:25 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Yeah! Keep em comin!

YEAH! KEEP EM COMIN...everyone....Send in your registration now...It's filling up fast!

I have a feeling this will be one for the books and the folks that miss out on this Caravan will SOOOOOO regret it!

Join The Caravan Experience
50 Year Anniversary
Cairo to Capetown
Cape Guirado Mo to Cairo IL.

Sept.11-13 2009
Old 06-18-2009, 07:21 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Getting excited!

Great reconnaissance info, Steve. I see a little nasty rain didn't stop your sortie. Love that new suspension bridge.

They only time I've caravanned was with the WDCU and Pee Wee for a drive through Arlington, Washington DC around the mall, and on to Mt. Vernon. It was a blast. Even though short and sweet, these small one-day caravans are a great taste of the extended version. It's hard to describe the cool factor of being part a row of Airstreams traveling toegether on the road. I can't wait!
Old 06-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #80
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Thanks everyone.

I just spent the last three hours with the promotional merchandise company that will be making shirts and other assorted goodies for anyone who wants them. The logo we are using was in JPG format, and had to be completely rebuilt with new graphics to make sure it didn't dither when it was screen printed. Essentially it will be a solid orange Africa, The same wording in the same colors, but the Cape to Cairo path across Africa will be the same color as the yellow wording.

Looks like shirts will be around $15.00 for less than 25 of them. Coffee mugs that won't fad will be $10.00. I can get other items as well (Patches, coasters, etc, etc).

On Edit: They work fast!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tshirt Graphic.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	82571  

Tags
cairo, capetown, caravan, midwest, rally