Old 08-30-2009, 04:30 PM   #309
1 Rivet Member

Aurora , Illinois
Hey slodiermedic - What a relief. As I said b before, put me whereever, just not with the SOBs.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:36 PM   #310
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Randy, being the caboose you will have more of a chance parking next to an SOB.

It all depends on where we end up parking. 76Sovereign really would like that spot in B row next to the rec center, so I am leaning towards two rows of unblemished Argosy and Airstream trailers.

I am off to paint our guest room for the guest of honor's arrival.

Steve

Old 08-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #311
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Would be nice if you didn't put us TOO far from the showers.....we still don't have a hot water heater...........maybe somewhere in the top half of row A? Not clear at the top, maybe close to the rec center ? Oh hell, we don't care. Somewhere there. Long as we are in the middle of everything, we wouldn't want to miss a thing.

Maybe you should just put all the numbers in a hat and draw them out randomly. Lol.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

http://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #312
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbob2 View Post
Steve! Park me next to the SOB ... the Tar Baby has a decidedly "white trash" look about her ... faded, chipped paint, creases down the sides, dents, rusty bumper and tongue, faded soda cans topping all the vent stacks, the remains of an insulated cardboard box wired around the Dometic ac on the roof, a broken window sealed with silver tape, and tar everywhere sealing in everything!
I am keeping Tar Baby in mostly "as found" condition for the 50th C2C ... minus "most" of the dirt. (After sweeping up enough dirt to literally pot a small plant and 3 swiffer pads later I am still tracking dirt into the house from the FRONT HALF of the trailer!)
This brings up a concern of mine ... how fast do we drive when we caravan? I am not comfortable going over 55 mph with bad axles and no sway bars.
Bob
Bob, after the trip Tar Baby just made the one for C2C ought to be a breeze! Hope you all have a great time. I envy you so much. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #313
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
Bob, after the trip Tar Baby just made the one for C2C ought to be a breeze! Hope you all have a great time. I envy you so much. Happy Trails, Ed
got the stuff ... working on clever message ...
Bob
Old 08-30-2009, 08:59 PM   #314
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
Would be nice if you didn't put us TOO far from the showers.....we still don't have a hot water heater...........maybe somewhere in the top half of row A? Not clear at the top, maybe close to the rec center ? Oh hell, we don't care. Somewhere there. Long as we are in the middle of everything, we wouldn't want to miss a thing.

Maybe you should just put all the numbers in a hat and draw them out randomly. Lol.
The top of A row is the shower house. Since we are heading the caravan we will be at the last spot in A. We can put you somewhere near the top of A if you like, but you won't be near the beloved SOB .

Steve
Old 08-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #315
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
The top of A row is the shower house. Since we are heading the caravan we will be at the last spot in A. We can put you somewhere near the top of A if you like, but you won't be near the beloved SOB .

Steve
Just put us somewhere in the middle of the group, we can walk to the shower. Anywhere will be fine. wherever is close to the action. And the food.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

http://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:40 PM   #316
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
50th Anniversary Cape (Town)To Cairo Caravan and Rally

Greetings All!

I just returned from scoping out the Fort Defiance Park in Cairo, and we will find plenty of room for our caravan tour. The park entrance is deceptively placed where it is almost hidden and appears to be a break in the fence rather than an entrance road. I hadn't been to the park since it became a Municipal Park after many years as an Illinois State Park. Given the economic state in Cairo, the park is very well maintained and quite serene. I was surprised to see that the campground is still well maintained with sites having water and electric for $13.00 per night.

This first photo is one of the kiosks in the Visitor's Center parking lot. This kiosk describes the Great River Road:

The second primary kiosk in the Visitor's Center parking lot contains information about the Lewis and Clark Expedition -- in the photo below:

The sign below marks the actual entrance to the park, and it is very easy to overlook, particularly if there is any traffic in the Visitor's Center parking lot -- photo below:

From the "gap" in the fence, the access road proceeds down a somewhat steep hill (my VW didn't scrape its undercarriage so I know my Overlander and Cadillac should be OK as well as most other Airstream/towcar combinations). The main Fort Defiance Park Road is a little more than two miles long including the park loop. There will be no problems with navigating the loop -- it is very gradual and the road is almost three lanes wide (permitting parking along both sides through most of the loop). The entrance road that parallels the Mississippi and the Mississippi River Bridge can be seen in the photo below:

The photo below is of two of the park's many Bald Cypress Trees. The park has many varieties of native trees including Maple, Oak, Sweet Gum, Cotton Wood, and Gingko Biloba. The Bald Cypress are seen in greater number as they like the moist surroundings -- two of these trees can be seen in the photo below:

The campground is the first park feature encountered along the access road. The campground has about 40 sites with water and electric. Photos of the Campground area can be seen below:

Campground From Campground Entrance at Fort Defiance

Campground road for sites with views of the Mississippi River in the Fort Defiance Park.

Campground road for sites that overlook the Ohio River in the Fort Defiance Park.

Mississippi River Bridge as viewed from site 18 in the Campground at Fort Defiance Park.

Ohio River Bridge as viewed from site 18 in the Campground at Fort Defiance Park.

Large, paved parking area below the campground at Fort Defiance Park.

The Ohio River Bridge as Viewed from the Campground paved parking area -- taken from far end of the lot.

The Ohio River Bridge as seen from the campground parking area at Fort Defiance Park.

The next group of photos are of the park loop that is a large, sweeping arc with plenty of maneuver room for our RVs.

The "Y" at the Fort Defiance Park Loop entrance. The traffic is one-way around the loop.

The Fort Defiance Park Loop Road that parallels the Mississippi River.

This concrete structure was probably the foundation to a long gone building, but serves today as another platform from which to view the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers.

The high-rise viewing platfrom from which the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers can be seen.

This photo was taken from the end of the Fort Defiance Park Loop road that parallels the Ohio River.

The photos below are of some of the interesting landmarks along the road to Fort Defiance Park:

The Federal Court House and US Post Office in Cairo, Illinois.

The US Customs House in Cairo, Illinois.

Historical Marker on US Customs House in Cairo, Illinois.

War Memorial at the US Customs House in Cairo, Illinois.

This is Shemwell's Barbecue, and to my knowledge, is the oldest continuously operating restaurant in Cairo. They are widely known throught Southern Illinois for their Hickory Smoked Pit Barbecue that is most often served as sandwiches with their homemade spicy sauce -- during the 1960s and 1970s my family took many Saturday afternoon drives to have Shemwell's Barbecues for lunch.

I hadn't taken the time to tour Cairo for more than ten years and found that it is quickly becoming the closest thing that Illinois has to a ghost town. It is still a wonderfully historic place to visit, but sadly, it is not the bustling center of commerce that it was just a few decades past.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:56 AM   #317
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Wow Kevin,

Thank you very much for the advance recon on Fort Defiance. I am surprised to hear that this was actually a campground since it floods all the times. Even if plans were not already set to stay in Cape I think that we would not want to camp in Cairo. I will again attempt to contact the city and let them know we are coming. Hopefully they don't think we are coming to stay there!

Steve
Old 08-31-2009, 10:04 AM   #318
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Great pictures Kevin! Hey Steve, whats for lunch that day? How about getting a carryout from Shemwell's to eat at the park? Mmm smells good already!
Old 08-31-2009, 10:51 AM   #319
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Alice,

The itinerary that you will receive shortly calls for lunch on your own, and departure of the caravan at 1200 on Friday. At one point, I had thought about an 1100 departure, and a picnic lunch at the park, but with bad weather a possibility, I changed my mind.

It may be a little difficult to find a place for us all to park while you run in for carryout .

Steve
Old 08-31-2009, 11:44 AM   #320
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Thank you for the great photos....Uh....the one showing a parking lot?......Could someone run over there and hit that with a broom...thank you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
Just put us somewhere in the middle of the group, we can walk to the shower. Anywhere will be fine. wherever is close to the action. And the food.
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:54 AM   #321
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
After seeing that Kevin posted that there was camping at Fort Defiance, I made a call to Cairo's City Hall. I didn't want any issues with trying to pull close to 20 trailers in, and have them think I was having the rally there. The gentleman I spoke to told me they have not used it for camping for years due to costs associated with flooding to keep it clean.

He told me how the flooding was due to increased river traffic when Cairo was booming. This happened to be a partial downfall since the flooding was brought on by increased river shipping and traffic to Cairo.

I asked if possibly the local police might stop traffic northbound from Missouri while we all enter into Fort Defiance. He said he would call the boys in blue and ask them. I am awaiting a call back.

Anyone have a nice tripod for a group shot while there?

Steve
Old 08-31-2009, 12:27 PM   #322
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
50th Anniversary Cape (Town)To Cairo Caravan and Rally

Greetings Steve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Anyone have a nice tripod for a group shot while there?
I have a Canon Digital Rebel SLR, new wide-angle lense, and a sturdy tripod that I carry when caravanning/rallying.

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cairo, capetown, caravan, midwest, rally