Old 08-30-2009, 10:50 AM   #295
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
The SOB's among us - it happens

As far as campground arrangement, whatever you choose is fine with me. It would be nice to have a sea of unbroken rounded painted and silver aluminum, but the only time I've seen that for a rally of any size was NOT at a public campground.

Hey, where's my Photoshop software . . . maybe we could do a pieced panorama shot and crop out the SOB.

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #296
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
As far as campground arrangement, whatever you choose is fine with me. It would be nice to have a sea of unbroken rounded painted and silver aluminum, but the only time I've seen that for a rally of any size was NOT at a public campground.

Hey, where's my Photoshop software . . . maybe we could do a pieced panorama shot and crop out the SOB.
Look at it as an opportunity to entice another SOB owner into going aluminum. When they see how terrific we are, they can't help but change their minds. Be an Airstream ambassador.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

http://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #297
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
Look at it as an opportunity to entice another SOB owner into going aluminum. When they see how terrific we are, they can't help but change their minds. Be an Airstream ambassador.
It has happened before!

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #298
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
The Church Lady sez

"Isn't that special!"
Old 08-30-2009, 11:46 AM   #299
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
While normally I would be agreeing with you, but these people sold their house to by a 50 foot Class A moho that they will full time in. An AIRSTREAM or ARGOSY is not in the cards for them.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:44 PM   #300
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
SOB & Me

Steve! Park me next to the SOB ... the Tar Baby has a decidedly "white trash" look about her ... faded, chipped paint, creases down the sides, dents, rusty bumper and tongue, faded soda cans topping all the vent stacks, the remains of an insulated cardboard box wired around the Dometic ac on the roof, a broken window sealed with silver tape, and tar everywhere sealing in everything!
I am keeping Tar Baby in mostly "as found" condition for the 50th C2C ... minus "most" of the dirt. (After sweeping up enough dirt to literally pot a small plant and 3 swiffer pads later I am still tracking dirt into the house from the FRONT HALF of the trailer!)
This brings up a concern of mine ... how fast do we drive when we caravan? I am not comfortable going over 55 mph with bad axles and no sway bars.
Bob
Old 08-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #301
1 Rivet Member

Aurora , Illinois
This is VAgabondVW coming in the Roadtrek - Airstream Wannabe!!! Where do you want us to park? I don't want to be one of the SOBs cause I am trying to be cooperative for the silver streak to be cool. I noticed a few other red stripes on the map. Is one of those the Roadtrek? OK to put us whereever you want. We simply look forward to the great fellowship with other likeminded travelers. We will be the caboose on the caravan, no problem! You have got to be kidding me - SPAM!!!!
Old 08-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #302
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by VagabondVW View Post
This is VAgabondVW coming in the Roadtrek - Airstream Wannabe!!! Where do you want us to park? I don't want to be one of the SOBs cause I am trying to be cooperative for the silver streak to be cool. I noticed a few other red stripes on the map. Is one of those the Roadtrek? OK to put us whereever you want. We simply look forward to the great fellowship with other likeminded travelers. We will be the caboose on the caravan, no problem! You have got to be kidding me - SPAM!!!!
What map? Where is it/link?
Bob

PS Loved your blogs ... read them several years ago.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #303
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Speaking of Spam if all goes as planned right now I'll be at the Spam Museum in Austin, MN tomorrow. Will see if they have any leftover 1950s variety that I can bring for the pot luck.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:08 PM   #304
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
50th Anniversary Cape (Town)To Cairo Caravan and Rally

Greetings Xbob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbob2 View Post
This brings up a concern of mine ... how fast do we drive when we caravan? I am not comfortable going over 55 mph with bad axles and no sway bars.
Bob
I can't speak for Steve, but as a resident of the area where the event is taking place, 55 MPH is about the top practical speed. The roads are asphalt, 2-lane, country highways -- narrow or no shoulder, and the turf shoulders will likely be very soft as we have had a wet year thus far.

If we follow the caravan format from WBCCI, the rule of thumb is that if you are close enough to read the membership number on the coach ahead of you, you are too close. This format allows room for other motorists to pass -- traffic isn't usually very heavy along this route as I-57 and I-55 are the heavily traveled alternate routes for this area.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #305
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Hey Bob,

I think 55 MPH will be our absolute top speed on the entire route. Considering that RTE 3 has some twists and turns, we may not be going 55 most of the time.

Steve
Old 08-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #306
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
While normally I would be agreeing with you, but these people sold their house to by a 50 foot Class A moho that they will full time in. An AIRSTREAM or ARGOSY is not in the cards for them.
Change is always possible!
Bob
Old 08-30-2009, 03:56 PM   #307
1 Rivet Member

Aurora , Illinois
Hi Xbob2 - Go to entry #274 to see the map of the campground and the red stripes where all of the SOBs will be parked. Of course that doesn't include you in the Ambassador but I'm increasingly worried about my Roadtrek being labeled a red stripe. Can't wait to meet all of you.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:59 PM   #308
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Randy,

The red spots are SOBs who are already staying at the park on a monthly basis. You are not listed on that map anywhere.

Steve

Tags
cairo, capetown, caravan, midwest, rally