Old 01-02-2016, 05:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

On the Lake , Georgia
2007 Canopener and Beyond: Tell us about it

It is less than a week away to the 2016 Canopener which make it the 10th annual event. This year we will have over 140 rigs at Topsail Hill Preserve State Park. This event was and still is a Forums rally. Probably one of the biggest as far as rigs go.

Our hat is off to Devoman, who started the Canopener and posted the first thread. Many who attended that first rally continue to attend and are instrumental in putting this rally on year after year. Roadtoaster (Greg and Pat), Nilesrob (Brad and Karen), HowieE ( HowieE and Braith) and Beaubill ( Bill and Peggy) are some who are always there, always participate, and first to lend a helping hand.

Since Devoman, those who have organized this annual rally are:
Chief (Ron & Jen)
Luckyducks (Russ & Linda)
Alumitater ( Tom & Robin)
All have done a great job as this rally has grown to point of filling up the park with Airstreams.

For those who would like to see how this all got started, you can visit the closed thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...lly-27292.html and read over 100 pages and see pictures of what it was like 10 years ago. If you have tons of time and like to read, you can see all the the Canopener years thread just by googling Canopener Airstream and insert year.

Annette and would like for all of you who have attended a Canopener to post here how many you have attended and anything you think others might find interesting.

We look forward to seeing everybody and wish you all safe travels!
Annette- Chief Party Planner
Joe- Helper

Old 01-02-2016, 05:51 PM   #2
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Our first Canopener was in 2010 and have been to all since. It was so cold that year, got down to 17 which we knew was cold but we didn't know any better. That was our first rally or camping outing with any other Airstream. What a great weekend. Annette invited everyone to stop by during open house and have a Bloody Mary. That is how Bloody Saturday got started. We made many friends that weekend and from that we have grown our circle of Airstream friends all over the US.

Joe

Old 01-02-2016, 06:08 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Canopener 2015 was my first. And since it happened less than a week after I retired, I considered it my retirement party. In fact, I made my reservation for Canopener 11 months in advance specifically to ensure that I didn't change my mind about retiring! It is the absolute best rally I ever attended, before or since.

I won't be at Canopener 2016 due to other commitments but beginning in 2017 I plan to be at every Canopener thereafter for as long as I'm still physically able to make the trip.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:12 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

On the Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Canopener 2015 was my first. And since it happened less than a week after I retired, I considered it my retirement party. In fact, I made my reservation for Canopener 11 months in advance specifically to ensure that I didn't change my mind about retiring! It is the absolute best rally I ever attended, before or since.

I won't be at Canopener 2016 due to other commitments but beginning in 2017 I plan to be at every Canopener thereafter for as long as I'm still physically able to make the trip.
You will be missed this year but understand why you can't make it. Look forward to seeing you in 2017 if not before.
Joe
Old 01-02-2016, 06:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Last year was our first....

only because it was the first held after we bought our trailer. We had a great time, even if it was a little chilly. It looks like this year's challenge will be rain. We are hoping for a good weather weekend; it looks to be a little warmer than last year. This year we will probably enter the corn-hole tournament after being spectators last year. Bringing the bikes for some beach trips.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again. Thanks to everyone who helps make this possible!

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
To me Canopener is a must attend event, this will be my 4th. Be rolling in Wednesday.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:02 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

On the Lake , Georgia
We are going to stuff the bags when you get here Michael. Thanks for picking up the T-shirts from Foley RV.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:39 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Jacksons Gap , Alabama
We missed the first Canopener because we were new Airstreamers and did not know about it. I did not even know about Airforums. We were at a Home Depot in Panama City in March, following the first Canopener, doing some shopping. Devoman came by as we were loading and spotted our Airstream. He introduced himself and told us about the Canopener he had organized and invited us to come to the next one. We have not missed one since. We have met some great people and made many friends. The event just grows and grows which is a tribute to the open and non agenda format. Everyone is welcomed and you don't even have to own an Airsteam. All of the organizers have made each Canopener memorable in some way. Who knows, the Canopener may become the Alumapalooza of the South.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin View Post
We are going to stuff the bags when you get here Michael. Thanks for picking up the T-shirts from Foley RV.
My pleasure. We all need to remember to thank Rick and Ron (FoleyRV) for their amazing support year after year.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
This will be our 9th Canopener, missed 2010 due to weather and work. What we have seen.......mud caked trailer because someone listened to their GPS, dents from bird strikes, dents from deer strikes, turkey decoys instead of flamingos, snakes, snake pranks, sites cordoned off and declared hazardous, wine tastings, bourbon tastings, pajama parties, more happy hours than I can count, amazing food, great weather, terrible weather, drink wagon, peddle car, polishing demo, dent pulling demo, conga line, oyster roasts, stories and lies galore........the list could go on and on. But, really it's about the people. We have met wonderful folks and count a lot of them as very good friends. Park management, and especially Ranger Fred, go out of their way to make Canopenians feel welcomed. Can't think of a better any to start a new year.