Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochar3 View Post
Never joined because of the stupid hats they wear
I don't mind the blue beanies. I even wore mine once (for about an hour) during this International rally. But it's only the second time in three years that I've worn it at all, and both times it was optional; I wore it only because after buying the danged thing it would be a waste to never use it. It's one of the good wool berets that's properly floppy, not one of the newer nylon ones that don't drape properly and fit like an undersized chef's cap.

I'm more concerned about the rest of the "uniform." The last time I wore a necktie at work was December 23rd, 1989 (it snowed in New Orleans that day) and I refuse to get more dressed up to be retired than I ever was to be be working. The day they tell me I must wear the "uniform" red necktie, I'll quit the club then and there.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Referring to post 12. What doesthat have to do with the WBCCI? Not a member now but the rallys I attended did not dwell on the trailers but on social interaction and good will. As far as the BMW stuff, I never experienced any of what you said there either. I guess it's just a difference in perspective or attitude.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:57 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Cherry Log , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I don't mind the blue beanies. I even wore mine once (for about an hour) during this International rally. But it's only the second time in three years that I've worn it at all, and both times it was optional; I wore it only because after buying the danged thing it would be a waste to never use it. It's one of the good wool berets that's properly floppy, not one of the newer nylon ones that don't drape properly and fit like an undersized chef's cap.

I'm more concerned about the rest of the "uniform." The last time I wore a necktie at work was December 23rd, 1989 (it snowed in New Orleans that day) and I refuse to get more dressed up to be retired than I ever was to be be working. The day they tell me I must wear the "uniform" red necktie, I'll quit the club then and there.
I agree 100 percent. I won't tie a knoose around by neck for anyone. I had no idea ties where required.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Unless that was tongue in cheek. Don't be mislead, I think he was joking, Ties are not required in any way.

Sometimes this forum is like the old telephone game. ;o);o)

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:15 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
400 miles to the nearest group is the main reason and all but 1 rally is always away from us than toward us.... Went to one event and seemed nice people,, but saw them picking up stuff that I might steal kind of rubbed me wrong..
A well polished Overlander,, new pu.. and no tattoos so what rang the warning bell I was a outlaw?

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:15 PM   #20
SipStreamer

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Lakeside , Montana
We didn't join because:
1. Nothing about the club interested us.
2. Didn't want that number on our rig.
3. We'd rather spend the $65 on (put anything here).
4. We're not the "go to something organized" kind of folks.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:29 PM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Unless that was tongue in cheek. Don't be mislead, I think he was joking, Ties are not required in any way.

Sometimes this forum is like the old telephone game. ;o);o)
You're right. Nothing in the WBCCI International Constitution or Bylaws requires the wearing of a necktie. However, there is also a "Protocol Book" that is not available to rank-and-file members that DOES list the appropriate attire for events at the International Rally— see paragraph 7r, page 44 of the WBCCI "Blue Book" published 6/27/2014. Protocol books are distributed to the IBT by February 15th each year.

And the WBCCI Store sells "official" red neckties and "official" blue neckties, so there must be some occasions not listed in the Constitution and Bylaws where an official necktie IS required— see Appendix 9 of the WBCCI Blue Book issued 7/5/2014.

But since the Unit level doesn't have required neckwear unless it's listed in the Unit constitution or bylaws, my comment about ties was tongue-in-cheek to that extent; I don't want to ever be a Region or International officer so hopefully I'll never need a necktie for club activities.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:32 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Thx Protag.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #23
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWN306 View Post
I'll probably will get a lot of sh*t for what I'm going to say but AS owners are snobs, just like BMW motorcycle owners.

I have owned many BMW motorcycles and went to over 100 rallies, what a bunch of fakes.

I go camping to enjoy the outdoors not to have my head filled by a bunch of garbage from folks telling me how great the product is and then you read posts on this forum about new models falling apart.

I've took delivery of a 2015 AS in January, every time I use the trailer something else breaks or doesn't work. The trailer has spent more time at the dealers waiting to get repaired than it has in my driveway.

I owned three Keystone products before purchasing the AS and not one of them ever had a warranty issue.

The build quality of the new AS suck IMHO.
Wooh, that aroma of sour grapes... It must suck to be you.
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:18 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

...... there is also a "Protocol Book" that is not available to rank-and-file members that DOES list the appropriate attire for events at the International Rally— see paragraph 7r, page 44 of the WBCCI "Blue Book" published 6/27/2014. Protocol books are distributed to the IBT by February 15th each year.

And the WBCCI Store sells "official" red neckties and "official" blue neckties, so there must be some occasions not listed in the Constitution and Bylaws where an official necktie IS required— see Appendix 9 of the WBCCI Blue Book issued 7/5/2014.

..... in 2015 this is a quaint blast from the past ...... straight out of the 1950's .....

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:05 PM   #25

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
Like the man said,
I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER".

Seriously, we will be checking out our local groups soon and getting acquainted.

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"
Old 07-02-2015, 05:07 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
We have been a member since 2009. When I first got the "promo" packet from WBCCI, the dvd was like something from the 60's and every picture in the Blue Beret was really very old people. Lots of them. All of them.
When we went to our first rally, I told my wife "If we can get thru this first weekend without having to do CPR, maybe we'll hang in there for a while." We even thought about bringing a defibrillator from her office. Seriously. As it turned out, we had a great time and have made a lot of good friends of all ages that we often see outside the rallies.
My wife is on the local board and we have hosted several rallies. We DO NOT wear berets or ties. In fact, I've never seen a tie at any rally and beret maybe once or twice. We go to great locations, have great food, have fun and interesting events, and happy hour starts promptly at 5 every time.
That being said, the governing board is bloated, bureaucratic, somewhat autocratic with entrenched leadership, way out of date and out of touch, has ancient and silly rules like dress codes, and sometimes acts more like a Christian organization than a camping club.
For example, at the last international rally, one of our board members towed her trailer all the way there by herself only to discover that no one would help her park her trailer of even show her the way because it was the "Lord's day." That didn't stop them from smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol, so I guess that's approved by the Lord but not parking. Many locals start the meeting, meals, or events with prayers honoring Jesus. That gets right in your face if you're Jewish or another faith that doesn't recognize Jesus. It's a CAMPING CLUB!!!!
The international organization election of board members is really a coronation as a "nominating committee" selects one person to run for each office. So why bother voting.
Our unit is very open, progressive, inviting, tolerant, and full of fun people of all ages and convictions. While some other units are shrinking we are one of the fastest growing units. You almost never hear any discussion of religion or politics except that religion plays way too big a role in the organization. I can't even figure out how religion became so entwined in the club. Nothing I've ever read about Wally Byam indicated any religion was a major part of his life or had anything to do with Airstreams. In fact, when asked, he said "His religion was camping."
If it wasn't for the clubs insurance coverage for rallies and caravans, many of our members don't see a huge benefit to the larger organization. Probably the single biggest and best benefit is meeting the members of other local units. Very few of our members go the the international. There's just not much interest in except for a few who are trying to inject new blood into the leadership. Kind of a Don Quixote thing maybe. I wish them the best but frankly, I find many other ways to beat by head against a wall with better results.
I read all the comments so far and only a couple know what they are writing about. The rest are uniformed, too cheap to even being a contributing member here, clearly don't like people, or people don't like them so they don't see any reason to socialize beyond Facebook, the narcissists playground. Sorry, my rant drifted a little off course.
None the less, I stay in the organization because of all the wonderful and generous people we have met traveling the US. For example, the organizers of the Mardi Gras and Albuquerque Balloon Festival have worked so hard to put on a premiere event, that I feel both obligated and privileged to support their efforts.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I stopped by the WBCCI office in Jackson Center a few years back. Two workers in a pretty nice building. My gut reaction was that they should probably have one employee and rent an office. I'm not a member so I don't know, maybe they do a lot more than I think and someone bequeathed them the building. I hope so.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:59 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We stopped by WBCCI headquarters in September 2014. There was one employee who appeared to live in a newer Class A in the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote