Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Why do some NOT want to join WBCCI?

I was looking through current threads and noticed a Poll for WBCCI memberships and why some owners prefer TO or NOT TO join a regional WBCCI.

It may be a surprise to some Airstream and trailer owners that there are owners who do not care for large social gatherings. Not all Airstream owners own a trailer to gather and socialize among other owners with similar likes. It is not a negative or positive choice. Many have a different purpose and group gatherings are not on that short list of things to do.

Birds of a feather flock together.... I understand. Similar interests attract individuals with... similar interests. Organized tours are also not among my top 1000 things I would like to do, as well. This does not reflect poorly upon those who enjoy large gatherings.

There are many trailer owners, percentage unknown, that use their trailer for purposes other than social events marked on a calendar. RV...ing for special events for wine tasting or fall colors is not something I would attend. I can do it on my own without the comfort of a large group of individuals. Even if those who do enjoy large gatherings find it... odd that someone would feel that way.

A Social Butterfly I am not.

I am more comfortable avoiding groups, since my interests are not enhanced with people. Fly fishing with ten people following along to my favorite fishing hole is less than fulfilling. Imagine fifty people. I cannot. Hunting, if I were still a hunter, is not enhanced with forty individuals following my footsteps into a dense forest for game.

Those who do enjoy Rallies... you would not enjoy my solo individual "Rallies". We can agree that each individual chooses what they want to do. Take no offense. It is just a matter of life experiences and preferences on my part and those who share my point of view. No better nor worse than a membership in a group.

Sometimes even I feel an unexplainable urge to introduce individuals to take their trailer into places, solo, never attempted by themselves. Some find it fitting into their comfort zone. Others, not so enthused. I am not insulted nor discouraged by the variety of reactions. At times it can be confusing to a Rally personality wanting to relive those rally experiences at a campsite that has a different objective, opposite of the Rally Experience. I understand. I get it. Once may be enough for those individuals, which is best for all. Most prefer organized events.

Take all of the Polls you want. The "solo" Airstream does not frequent the WBCCI Forum. I just happened to stumble in like a lost Grizzly Bear and knocking over tables and name tags tossed around the ground. Some of us just would not enhance the Rally experience by attending. Lucky for you. Lucky for me.

... and that is where I have to leave it.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Sometimes even I feel an unexplainable urge to introduce individuals to take their trailer into places, solo, never attempted by themselves. Some find it fitting into their comfort zone.
I was in my Airstream in a very remote section of Alaska. There was a large and totally empty public (maybe forest service) campground. It had maybe 40 spaces. I parked and went exploring. When I came back someone had parked in the space right next to mine. I was furious. With all the space in the world, and all the empty space in the park, they felt they had to be next to someone. I almost moved, to make a point.

I only belong to WBCCI so I can go to the Vintage Rally held every other year by the Rocky Mountain Vintage club. WBCCI is required.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
It may be a surprise to some Airstream and trailer owners that there are owners who do not care for large social gatherings. Not all Airstream owners own a trailer to gather and socialize among other owners with similar likes. It is not a negative or positive choice. Many have a different purpose and group gatherings are not on that short list of things to do.
Belonging to WBCCI and going camping by yourself are not mutually exclusive. I joined WBCCI just a few weeks after buying my Airstream, and I attend a WBCCI rally of some sort, somewhere, every couple of months.

But I also go camping by myself in between rallies, usually at a campground that has good hiking trails and/or a lake for flatwater kayaking. Where nothing is planned except my arrival and departure dates— and even those are subject to change as the mood strikes me— and I don't have to talk to a single living soul if I don't want to.

Sometimes I feel like being social. Sometimes I feel like being a hermit. By being a member of WBCCI, I can have it both ways.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
When we bought our mpg several years ago one of the first things we did was join the Heartland Owners Club. When we bought our Foretravel two years ago we got a membership in their Motorcade Club for the rest of the year for free. When that time was up we paid our dues to continue the membership. We attended one national rally and one State rally with the mpg. So far we haven't been able to attend any of the Foretravel rallies.

So, why keep up the membership? Part of it is to support the brand, part of it is that we get a discount on parts, and part is that maybe some day we'll actually be able to attend a rally.

If/when we get an Airstream we'll probably join WBCCI. We may or may not participate in any activities, but that probably won't have as much to do with what those activities are but more of what our schedule is.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:46 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Limited
Franklin , North Carolina
I like airstream, and as I learn about the legacy, I'm even more interested. In a world where traditions are becoming extinct, I'm happy to have one, to hold onto, and be a part of.
AirBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Smile I feel very strongly both ways

I like both experiences. I can be happy at a solo campsite, with a small group, or at a large rally. Next spring we are going to find out how we feel about caravans. I hope we'll be able to join Ray for his Wyoming trek next year. BK (before kids) we backpacked several times in the Gila Wilderness, and I backpacked with a friend in north Georgia to trout fish. I think and hope that we will enjoy the boondocking experience.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Ray,
You summed up well my logic and tendency to not join.
You mentioned "following my footsteps" a few time. I would not want people to follow me either. But even worse would be if someone else expected me to come along with them and follow their rules or meet their expectations. I would not do well!
Though, I've been tempted lately by a few invitations. I would like to get to know some forum members. During my camping travels I have met some really good people and many of them have become my closest friends.
The Native American ruin viewing, rockhounding, boondocking trip you offered to share this summer really interested me, but DW did not seem inclined to come along. Maybe if you offer again, we will take you up.
Thanks!
Old 08-08-2015, 07:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I just simply don't have time. First and foremost is planning a trip and hitting the road with my family. We are lucky to even have time to do that. One day, when the kids are grown and perhaps my wife and I are retired, well join because we will be bored and in need of friends.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:09 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Chiefland , Florida
Hi-Will throw in my nickels worth. First time in club was in the early 70's, then dropped out when the trailer was sold. Had joined after buying another in the mid 80's, then dropped out after selling. After rebuilding this 1967 joined again a few years ago, and also joined a unit, which we had never done before. (We were always "Members at large") Also joined the Vintage club, which we really do enjoy. We are basically loners, although we went to the balloon fiesta in Albuquerque last year and enjoyed it. Went to the international rally this year in Farmington Nm, and will never go to another. Left early. Really didn't enjoy anything about it except for the camaraderie of the vintage people. If it were not for the Vintage club, we would not be in WBCCI. I really enjoy our silver bullets, but don't think the mix well with those gigantic motor homes, no matter whose name is on them. That is why we left and came back to the club, with reservations. Rolland, 5953

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
We went to one WBCCI rally, and there were some very positive things. However, the group meals were all heart stoppers and what I seriously considered terrible food. Breakfast had white toast (you made yourself) and pancakes... the eggs and everything else was gobbled up early. We went back to our trailer and made our own breakfast. The wake up trumpet at 7:30 a.m. was also a huge downer for me. No reason to blare an alarm and startle folks. We are on "vacation" not running off to work!

The best part of the rally was the time we had to visit everyone's trailer in an "open house" event... however, I was surprised at how many set up "shop" and had a regular yard sale with stuff during this time. I expected some social time and other things that were less "work".

The folks were friendly and nice, but most activities just didn't interest me. At night everyone played table games in a building rather than being outside around a campfire. I would have preferred telling stories, having a warm drink, and enjoying the outdoors.

Maybe our one experience was unusual, but it just wasn't our cup of tea.
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Interesting that some don't want the social aspect of the club but spend hours a day on the forums? A sign of the times. Seems to be a societal change away from eye contact and actually talking in person to using electronic devices, very impersonal.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:59 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
I really don't know anything about WBCCI, what membership entails or the benefits thereof. We're new to AS ownership, an AS which we found through the classified section of this forum. I remain here mostly because I appreciate some of the insights into maintenace and repair concerns. So WBCCI, maybe someday.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:13 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Paraphrasing the great Groucho Marx,

I don't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:22 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Chatham , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post

I'll have to second that one.
bigfoot390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:50 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post

I'll defiantly third that !
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:52 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
I was looking through current threads and noticed a Poll for WBCCI memberships and why some owners prefer TO or NOT TO join a regional WBCCI.

Birds of a feather flock together.... I understand. Similar interests attract individuals with... similar interests. Organized tours are also not among my top 1000 things I would like to do, as well. This does not reflect poorly upon those who enjoy large gatherings.

There are many trailer owners, percentage unknown, that use their trailer for purposes other than social events marked on a calendar. RV...ing for special events for wine tasting or fall colors is not something I would attend. I can do it on my own without the comfort of a large group of individuals. Even if those who do enjoy large gatherings find it... odd that someone would feel that way.

A Social Butterfly I am not.

I am more comfortable avoiding groups, since my interests are not enhanced with people. Fly fishing with ten people following along to my favorite fishing hole is less than fulfilling. Imagine fifty people. I cannot. Hunting, if I were still a hunter, is not enhanced with forty individuals following my footsteps into a dense forest for game.

Those who do enjoy Rallies... you would not enjoy my solo individual "Rallies". We can agree that each individual chooses what they want to do. Take no offense. It is just a matter of life experiences and preferences on my part and those who share my point of view. No better nor worse than a membership in a group.

Sometimes even I feel an unexplainable urge to introduce individuals to take their trailer into places, solo, never attempted by themselves. Some find it fitting into their comfort zone. Others, not so enthused. I am not insulted nor discouraged by the variety of reactions. At times it can be confusing to a Rally personality wanting to relive those rally experiences at a campsite that has a different objective, opposite of the Rally Experience. I understand. I get it. Once may be enough for those individuals, which is best for all. Most prefer organized events.

Take all of the Polls you want. The "solo" Airstream does not frequent the WBCCI Forum. I just happened to stumble in like a lost Grizzly Bear and knocking over tables and name tags tossed around the ground. Some of us just would not enhance the Rally experience by attending. Lucky for you. Lucky for me.

... and that is where I have to leave it.
Very well said my friend ,
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:56 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
I joined WBCCI because I knew nothing about my AS, I try to go to 1 or 2 meetings a year, you can always find someone with answers to your questions or they can give you an idea who to contact. Also some AS only parks only accept members, but usually the low cost of these parks make up for the membership fees.
I am a senior who travels solo so like to have as much support on the road as I can get. I also do Non AS travelling did 7000mi last summer solo.
I wouldn't mind getting together with 1 or 2 AS who were going in my direction for a day or 2 just to socialize .
I plan on leaving for Louisiana around the end of OCT or first of NOV 2015,if someone is going that way you can contact me an we could meet up.
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
I solo mostly. I am a member also. Each to their own.
PecanMan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The club provides opportunities for touring (caravaning) and social meetings (rallies + luncheons). The club also provides a magazine (now available online for free, no need to join) and some technical assistance available at rallies and in the magazine. The number of WBCCI only parks has decrease considerably. Join, if you would like to use these benefits.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #20
LifeIsShort

2013 22' FB Sport
Winter Park , Colorado
Thanks for bringing up your valid points. I am also more into solo adventure than large groups of people. My previous trailer was an R-Pod, which brought much unwanted attention from strangers. Based on what I am reading here, my new (used) AS might also bring some unwanted advances. I guess sometimes it's a curse to live out your dreams. Time will tell.
Tsmith.wp is offline   Reply With Quote