Old 08-10-2015, 03:27 PM   #57
cramar

1992 25' Excella
Leamington , Ontario
Met a woman last year who bought an Airstream JUST so she could join the WBCCI and was heading off to the far north for her first trip.

I joined, but may not renew. Some of the trips sound real inviting, but are too expensive for my blood. Still I'd love to go on an interesting one.

We camped for the first time out of Ontario last week. We went to a couple of state parks in Michigan. I was asked several times what the red numbers mean. I gave the history of founder Wally and his first Central America trip as part of my answer. I realized that all those square white trailers out there don't seem to have any equivalent clubs, much less the heritage. That is part of the Airstream DNA, even if it's not for everyone.

cramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:27 PM   #58
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
LOL! I'm an INTJ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INTJ so maybe that's why we haven't joined up. Yet. After we've analysed the theoretical pros and cons a bit more, and can come to a fully rational decision.
yes, that would be the correct way to go about it.
gather data, gather more data...then research it some more. Eventually, you might actually fix the damn trailer. (just don't hold your breath).
said the other INTJ.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:35 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Doers and the Followers...

Ultradog, Chuck and DanB... wonderful posts.

I find on the Forums many of the posts have no humor, no merit, no thought and not interested in pinball machines.

I was in the antique coin operated machine business for longer than I can recall (1970's - 1980's). Gottlieb Pinballs were lined up in my basement, with the antique slot machines, 78 RPM playing Jukeboxes (mostly Wurlitzer & Seeburg 45RPM models) and Williams baseball machines. Machines, parts and projects for a decade. When I could not find old vending companies that still had warehoused this equipment, the hunt was finished and I moved onto other areas to... wreck and salvage.

Although I had an interest and knowledge in this equipment, I never had an interest in joining a club. Why? Because the majority of members wanted something. Again the Worker Bee and Joiner Bee quip I tossed out without any feedback.

I can understand 100% of those who restore older Airstreams involved in a club/rally. Meeting Richard and his wife from Texas in his restored Airstream was an act of love of the workmanship and rivets conversations, while on the Quemado, NM trip was a real treat. Same with Chris... with his slicked up trailer.

Information exchange is a valuable asset in a group of "hands on people". Most I run into are incapable of understanding how a toaster works (I had over 500 toasters at one time. Yes... I am a bit eccentric.), non the less a complicated vintage Airstream trailer. I admit... that I would be a member of an active group that had restoration as an objective, and socializing to pass idle time low on the list. Little work can progress if one is talking too much.

If there were Airstream Parts Shows... I could see these individuals arriving from across the continents. Like the Chicago Jukebox and Coin Operated shows that I attended twice a year in the 1970's and 1980's. Much like the 1954 to 1969 Corvette "Rallies" that resemble the same enthusiasm for parts and the exchange of knowledge.

There are "doers" and "followers". The doers are cutting edge personalities that are doing. The followers come along and want a free education on your time. You can read a post and probably determine the doers from the followers. Just human nature.

If I were in my 20's today... none of these opportunites would even be known to exist. Today, they do not. The Rally Experience might be on its final burst of membership. Members are older and eventually drop out due to health, lack of interest or the ability to travel distances. But if you are a "doer" this is not an issue. They will do what they have always done. Maybe with a little less gusto and shorten the activity hours, but I find them in my travels. These people are the gems out there, solo or with their spouse and actually are surprised someone else shares an interest out of the mainstream.

I am not sensitive over not wanting to be a joiner. Those who are joiners, should understand people like myself. We are usually more interesting in our activities, creative and eager to share information with other knowledgeable individuals. If I talk too much my voice becomes overworked. Give me a screwdriver, a chainsaw or a pick and chisel and turn me loose into my world. Rally or Not.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:01 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
We haven't even considered joining due to lack of time to travel (heck, I'm still restoring). With kids at home still and a new arrival last month it's not on our agenda to travel alot yet. I believe that there is a growth in 'non-retired' AS owners that has to be accounted for. Maybe in 10-15 years we can consider it...or not.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:28 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
Some people, actually a lot of them, have an inherent need to belong to something.
Something greater than themselves.
That's why there are so many clubs and groups in the world.
From the Moose to the Oddfellows, the Masons, a church, bowling club, Toast Masters, AA, Vet's Clubs, Hell's Angels, knitting clubs, and the like.
They even, when moving to a new city, make a point of becoming boosters for the home town team. They wear the uniforms and show the colors of their newly adopted place.
I think part of is related to the fact that there is safety in numbers or an ancient need to be a part of a tribe.
They find their place in a natural pecking order, a group where they feel they fit in.
I think it's pretty ancient actually. Part of a survival mentality.
But there are others too that just don't have a strong sense of self identity.
So to make themselves feel better they wear the colors and bang the drum of an organization that gives them "place".
Perhaps it's their lack of confidence or creativity that makes them need to follow the crowd.
Of course in my opinion, the need to join isn't Man's best attribute. In fact, I think the opposite is more likely true.
People with a strong sense of self, people who are are individuals have less of a need to join.
They are able and willing to have as much fun in life going it alone, wearing their own colors or uniforms and making their own rules and bylaws - for themselves, paying no heed to rules that are foisted upon them by others.
"Fitting in" is much less important to them than others.
I suppose it is just as well that there are two kinds and never the twain should meet.
For the people who, like myself, prefer solitude over crowds, clubs attract all those joiners, those little martinets with their bugles and blue berets and gets them off my back and out of my space.
And to those who value order and place, it helps them avoid an individual who's usually contemplatitive, mostly self satisfied, sometimes atrabilious, always ungregarious and keeps me from annoying them just by being different.

"Atrabilious," now there's a great new word for my vocabulary! I had to look it up even though I thought I had a decent mastery of language (despite being a retired engineer.)

Surely hope I ain't atrabilious!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:31 PM   #62
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
"Atrabilious," now there's a great new word for my vocabulary! I had to look it up even though I thought I had a decent mastery of language (despite being a retired engineer.)
Ditto on all counts.

English is such a rich language, and so seldom used to its full potential anymore.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:45 PM   #63
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
How maudlin these mortals be....

I noticed we AS owners benefit from some folks who "tribed" for the purpose of mere fellowship and advancement of all... How weak....
cwf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:33 PM   #64

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
How maudlin these mortals be....

I noticed we AS owners benefit from some folks who "tribed" for the purpose of mere fellowship and advancement of all... How weak....

And yet here you are "tribe" on a forum... Even weaker.

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"
Old 08-10-2015, 11:35 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Limited
Franklin , North Carolina
We recently bought an airstream, are both pretty introverted, but excited to camp, and meet some people. It's cool, though, because after a few days of hanging out, we can slip back into solitude.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:29 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
Some people, actually a lot of them, have an inherent need to belong to something.
Something greater than themselves.
That's why there are so many clubs and groups in the world.
From the Moose to the Oddfellows, the Masons, a church, bowling club, Toast Masters, AA, Vet's Clubs, Hell's Angels, knitting clubs, and the like.
They even, when moving to a new city, make a point of becoming boosters for the home town team. They wear the uniforms and show the colors of their newly adopted place.
I think part of is related to the fact that there is safety in numbers or an ancient need to be a part of a tribe.
They find their place in a natural pecking order, a group where they feel they fit in.
I think it's pretty ancient actually. Part of a survival mentality.
But there are others too that just don't have a strong sense of self identity.
So to make themselves feel better they wear the colors and bang the drum of an organization that gives them "place".
Perhaps it's their lack of confidence or creativity that makes them need to follow the crowd.
Of course in my opinion, the need to join isn't Man's best attribute. In fact, I think the opposite is more likely true.
People with a strong sense of self, people who are are individuals have less of a need to join.
They are able and willing to have as much fun in life going it alone, wearing their own colors or uniforms and making their own rules and bylaws - for themselves, paying no heed to rules that are foisted upon them by others.
"Fitting in" is much less important to them than others.
I suppose it is just as well that there are two kinds and never the twain should meet.
For the people who, like myself, prefer solitude over crowds, clubs attract all those joiners, those little martinets with their bugles and blue berets and gets them off my back and out of my space.
And to those who value order and place, it helps them avoid an individual who's usually contemplatitive, mostly self satisfied, sometimes atrabilious, always ungregarious and keeps me from annoying them just by being different.
This sums up my position quite nicely. Thanks Ultradog.

I "joined" the Airstream world in 2009 and was considering joining the WBCCI so I started researching. I read a few issues of the Blue Beret and scoured the forum and the web for news about the "club". I didn't like what I saw and liked what I read even less. Humans do have that pack mentality and I saw a lot of similarities between the WBCCI and a church. Special costumes, people with titles and positions of power and religious overtones at gatherings and meetings. Paying dues to be a member was one thing but then I read that there were additional charges when you wanted to attend a big rally. Those at the top of the leadership list did not have to pay these extra charges, just us lowly members.

I know, I know, not all the tribes out there are like that and yes, things have improved of late as I have been told but still, I am not a big fan of group think. Believe it or not, I am a pretty nice guy and I do enjoy the company of others. It is just that I don't like the notion of secret hand shakes, costumes and knowing the secret about Airstream time. Groups are great but there are always groups within the group and trying to figure out what your position is is not my idea of fun.

We attended the Albuquerque Balloon festival that was hosted by the 4Corners unit. They opened it up to any and all Airstream owners and we were treated nicely and there was no meeting that even closely resembled what I was expecting. A few years later we attended again but by this time the Big Cheese in the Big office (think Vatican) was having trouble with the way the 4Corners hosts were running things. I don't know the official outcome but I was told that in the future, spots were going to be limited for those "not in the club". This is what I was expecting in the beginning and this is why I will not join. I jumped through hoops all of my working career. I am done with that. If I lived closer to the 4 Corners area I would consider joining. Very nice people there with goals and expectations that match mine.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:43 AM   #67
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
So some who don't want to be in a club have their own rockdockings or whatever and first thing they do is invite anyone interested to attend? Huh? Is it because they want control of the situation? They can be the boss? Nothing wrong with wanting control, as long as those controlling realize that. Criticize a large club by forming your own small club informally. My opinion.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:54 AM   #68
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
How many times must this be rehashed? Over and over ad noisome...
It was being discussed 8 years ago. Many names change, some are still banging their heads on the wall.
Make sure you go to post #3 in that thread. It links a dozen even OLDER rehashes of this same CRAP.
I will tell you this. The biggest division in the Airstream community is the WBCCI. It does not unite Airstreamers, it divides them and this and hundreds of other threads are a clear example of how.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:35 AM   #69
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
The people who generally create the discord are the ones mistreated years ago. I understand and the feelings are not misplaced. As a former member and now outsider I am concerned that so many of the old ideals are still present in the club. People like to hang on to old times, but must be realistic as to the future. Rules can be modified to conform to newer ideas. This is not the U.S. Constitution here, it's an AS club. Good luck to those reformers.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:39 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
This is interesting. We don't get to camp nearly as much as I'd like, so when we do, I plan it, and we take a week here or there. (I get a lot of great information on where to camp from this forum.)
I guess I'm selfish. I'm not taking one of my weeks out camping with a group. Maybe I'm too much of an introvert.
I've always been interested in the club, and figured we would join when we retired. Just four more years.. I glanced back at the other thread from 07, I think, that covered much if the same info. I have to admit, if I join, I won't be seeking a leadership position, and I won't care who is allowed to attend or not. We will attend a rally and see how we like it.
I do think the numbers on the trailers are cool though. I've always felt like I was a bit on the outside, because we haven't participated. ;-)