4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Paraphrasing the great Groucho Marx,

I don't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member.
I'll defiantly third that !

Old 08-09-2015, 12:52 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
I was looking through current threads and noticed a Poll for WBCCI memberships and why some owners prefer TO or NOT TO join a regional WBCCI.

It may be a surprise to some Airstream and trailer owners that there are owners who do not care for large social gatherings. Not all Airstream owners own a trailer to gather and socialize among other owners with similar likes. It is not a negative or positive choice. Many have a different purpose and group gatherings are not on that short list of things to do.

Birds of a feather flock together.... I understand. Similar interests attract individuals with... similar interests. Organized tours are also not among my top 1000 things I would like to do, as well. This does not reflect poorly upon those who enjoy large gatherings.

There are many trailer owners, percentage unknown, that use their trailer for purposes other than social events marked on a calendar. RV...ing for special events for wine tasting or fall colors is not something I would attend. I can do it on my own without the comfort of a large group of individuals. Even if those who do enjoy large gatherings find it... odd that someone would feel that way.

A Social Butterfly I am not.

I am more comfortable avoiding groups, since my interests are not enhanced with people. Fly fishing with ten people following along to my favorite fishing hole is less than fulfilling. Imagine fifty people. I cannot. Hunting, if I were still a hunter, is not enhanced with forty individuals following my footsteps into a dense forest for game.

Those who do enjoy Rallies... you would not enjoy my solo individual "Rallies". We can agree that each individual chooses what they want to do. Take no offense. It is just a matter of life experiences and preferences on my part and those who share my point of view. No better nor worse than a membership in a group.

Sometimes even I feel an unexplainable urge to introduce individuals to take their trailer into places, solo, never attempted by themselves. Some find it fitting into their comfort zone. Others, not so enthused. I am not insulted nor discouraged by the variety of reactions. At times it can be confusing to a Rally personality wanting to relive those rally experiences at a campsite that has a different objective, opposite of the Rally Experience. I understand. I get it. Once may be enough for those individuals, which is best for all. Most prefer organized events.

Take all of the Polls you want. The "solo" Airstream does not frequent the WBCCI Forum. I just happened to stumble in like a lost Grizzly Bear and knocking over tables and name tags tossed around the ground. Some of us just would not enhance the Rally experience by attending. Lucky for you. Lucky for me.

... and that is where I have to leave it.
Very well said my friend ,

Old 08-09-2015, 12:56 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
I joined WBCCI because I knew nothing about my AS, I try to go to 1 or 2 meetings a year, you can always find someone with answers to your questions or they can give you an idea who to contact. Also some AS only parks only accept members, but usually the low cost of these parks make up for the membership fees.
I am a senior who travels solo so like to have as much support on the road as I can get. I also do Non AS travelling did 7000mi last summer solo.
I wouldn't mind getting together with 1 or 2 AS who were going in my direction for a day or 2 just to socialize .
I plan on leaving for Louisiana around the end of OCT or first of NOV 2015,if someone is going that way you can contact me an we could meet up.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:17 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
I solo mostly. I am a member also. Each to their own.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The club provides opportunities for touring (caravaning) and social meetings (rallies + luncheons). The club also provides a magazine (now available online for free, no need to join) and some technical assistance available at rallies and in the magazine. The number of WBCCI only parks has decrease considerably. Join, if you would like to use these benefits.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:40 PM   #20
LifeIsShort

2013 22' FB Sport
Winter Park , Colorado
Thanks for bringing up your valid points. I am also more into solo adventure than large groups of people. My previous trailer was an R-Pod, which brought much unwanted attention from strangers. Based on what I am reading here, my new (used) AS might also bring some unwanted advances. I guess sometimes it's a curse to live out your dreams. Time will tell.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:41 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
1972 27' Overlander
Wakefield , Rhode Island
Introverts, extroverts, and ambiverts---there's a place for everyone in this beautiful old world. Vive la differance!
Old 08-09-2015, 03:50 PM   #22
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Sheer laziness or procrastination. When we first moved to BC we got a call from a member of the BC AS club inviting us to a rally. But it was a fishing derby, and neither one of us ever learned to fish. Also most of the rallies advertised on this forum seem to be a huge distance away from where we live, and when we take time to camp, it's usually either within a one-day's drive or our favourite southwestern desert places.

Idroba: On the Alaskan camper who cozied up to your AS-- just possibly these folks felt spooked in a more wild, isolated kind of camping situation. You probably gave them a feeling of security.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Idroba: On the Alaskan camper who cozied up to your AS-- just possibly these folks felt spooked in a more wild, isolated kind of camping situation. You probably gave them a feeling of security.
I expect you are correct, but it still ticked me off. I guess I don't feel that I want to be someone's security blanket. Parking next to me as they did made me feel insecure... lol. What were they up to? BTW, I never saw them, they never came out of their rig.

Ah well, it was only one night and they were gone early in the morning. Just one more camping experience in the far north.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:01 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
LOL, like most WBCCI pro/con discussions, they sound like ESTJ folks trying to convert INFP folks into ESTJs after getting the results of their Myers Briggs test, not yet realizing that personality types are neither right or wrong...just different.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:31 PM   #25
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayner View Post
LOL, like most WBCCI pro/con discussions, they sound like ESTJ folks trying to convert INFP folks into ESTJs after getting the results of their Myers Briggs test, not yet realizing that personality types are neither right or wrong...just different.
Not knowing what ESTJ and INFP even were, I looked it up and took the test— which should tell you something right there. I come up as an INTP-T ("Logician").
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:06 PM   #26
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
I expect you are correct, but it still ticked me off. I guess I don't feel that I want to be someone's security blanket. Parking next to me as they did made me feel insecure... lol. What were they up to? BTW, I never saw them, they never came out of their rig.

Ah well, it was only one night and they were gone early in the morning. Just one more camping experience in the far north.
I hear you. Kinda like when you go to the men's room and there are 12 vacant urinals. And the next guy chooses the one right next to you.
What's that all about?
Old 08-09-2015, 06:25 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
I hear you. Kinda like when you go to the men's room and there are 12 vacant urinals. And the next guy chooses the one right next to you.
What's that all about?
Probably best not to speculate on it in this forum.... grin.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Solitary Club Membership has its own rewards

Rich Luhr publishes a First Class, full color magazine of Airstream owners and destinations where Airstreams seem to gather. The text is well written and edited by the author(s) and magazine staff.

The magazine covers a wide spectrum of Airstream owners. For the price of $24 for four quarterly issues, it is well worth the money for those of you wanting to experience or be introduced to other Airstream activities. Even though I have high regard for the magazine, my complimentary subscription, given when I purchased our 2014 Airstream, expires with the next issue. I will not renew.

This applies also to the dedicated Rally Organizers. It is a lot of work. The first Rally is the most difficult. Many Airstream owners look forward to these Rallies to meet old friends and a confirmed date to mark on a calendar.

Even so, either I am not ready to participate or just biologically not interested and will never be able to make that change.

I wish Rich Luhr continued success in his well written magazine. I wish all of the Rally organizers the same. It just does not interest me, although I do read the Airstream Life from cover to cover.

Groucho Marx saying in "jest" while resigning from the Hollywood's Friar's Club in 1949 "Please accept my resignation, I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member."

I also reserve any option(s) to join a group or not to join a group.

Since my interests differ from the majority of Airstream owners, I am one of the two members of my own club. My wife is the other member in good standing. There are many individuals whose interests are solitary in scope. I could make a long list of my activities that do not require other people to participate to make it enjoyable.

Talking to myself is one.

Another is avoiding those using the urinal next to me and asking me where I am from....