Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Why did leave WBCCI ?
Cost too much 13 15.66%
Not enough value for the membership fee 24 28.92%
Too many rules 31 37.35%
I don't need to belong to group to enjoy camping 29 34.94%
Bad experience 15 18.07%
Other reason(s) 19 22.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2015, 06:58 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Thank goodness the Mississippi Unit ain't like that-

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:16 PM   #102
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
Ditto for the Kansas City Unit. We have fun and yes I'm the youngest member but we have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:00 AM   #103
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB International
Corvallis, Oregon , Oregon
Why WBCCI

Hey we just joined, bought our first ever Airstream and are dang close to 70 but hoping to have several or even a few years exploring. My husband and I read the forums, DAILY...and also the Blue Beret cover to cover...the learning curve seems high, but, we are plodding along, winter is approaching and we won't set sail til Spring...by then we hope you all have taught us everything we need to know.😉
Normam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:16 AM   #104
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normam View Post
Hey we just joined, bought our first ever Airstream and are dang close to 70 but hoping to have several or even a few years exploring. My husband and I read the forums, DAILY...and also the Blue Beret cover to cover...the learning curve seems high, but, we are plodding along, winter is approaching and we won't set sail til Spring...by then we hope you all have taught us everything we need to know.😉
Slight 'hi-Jack' of this thread..

At our 'progressed/advanced' WISDOM, we have learned you never stop learning until you don't wake up one day, then the learning takes on a new life...

So, we won't 'teach' you anything... you will 'learn'.. enjoy!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:26 PM   #105
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normam View Post
Hey we just joined, bought our first ever Airstream and are dang close to 70 but hoping to have several or even a few years exploring.
There is a couple in my Unit who are both over 80, and they're still going strong. At the ripe old age of 57 I'm practically the youngster of the Unit. I'm hoping to change that by recruiting younger members, but that may be an uphill battle. It seems like in order to attract younger members, you've got to already have younger members!
Old 10-18-2016, 08:37 PM   #106
1 Rivet Member

Mainville , Alabama
2 generation....leaving WBCCI

This is a sad story, and perhaps why many members are leaving

I am a 2 generation member. My father past president 2x of our club, my late mother a past treasurer. I grew up with the Club in the 60s. My father, still a member with over 50years in the club.

My spouse was quite I'll, in preparing for final arrangements our family attorney had suggested the removal of my name from several financial obligations.
Wbcci was one.

I called Jackson center. The tone and discourse could not have been more cutting. Due to a lapse of less tHan a year, they wanted me to reapply as a new member??? Forfeiting my now 9 years as an individual member with my spouse

Absolutely ZERO COMPASSION. additionally, said I could opt to pay 160.00 to retain my years as a member. Seriously?
I think NOT.

WBCCI wonders why the boomers won't be strong armed by these hostile tactics. Enough is enough.

I seriously went to home Depot, bought some stripper and removed my numbers today before the sunset due the starch that I was subjected to.

Now many may have had wonderful experiences.
I just don't need a club that attempts to thwart it's members during the loss of their loved ones all for the almighty dollar.

When I was young, we had thousands, seriously thousands at the yearly international rallyies. Now they are lucky to get a thousand. The membership book was as thick as a dictionary. Now it could fit in your glove box.

Sign me off of WBCCI, perhaps they will wake up before they become defunct, as the boomers and certainly neither the gen x or y's will stand for this type of starchy attitude.

I was told they have rules. NO KIDDING??
To that, I have a life to live, without any need to justify myself or good friends and my travels with silly red numbers and a ton of attitude from a corporate.

I retired from that long ago, I'm not about to subscribe to it again
rustyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:13 PM   #107
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm sorry you experienced less than expected service from the staff at HQ.

I'm sorry we won't have the opportunity to meet at a WBCCI event.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:33 PM   #108
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
My family and I just joined. We will give it a shot. I'm 44 with a family, so we will see how well we fit in.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:49 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
We had a good time! All of the members were very kind and friendly.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:01 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrat View Post
This is a sad story, and perhaps why many members are leaving

I am a 2 generation member. My father past president 2x of our club, my late mother a past treasurer. I grew up with the Club in the 60s. My father, still a member with over 50years in the club.

My spouse was quite I'll, in preparing for final arrangements our family attorney had suggested the removal of my name from several financial obligations.
Wbcci was one.

I called Jackson center. The tone and discourse could not have been more cutting. Due to a lapse of less tHan a year, they wanted me to reapply as a new member??? Forfeiting my now 9 years as an individual member with my spouse

Absolutely ZERO COMPASSION. additionally, said I could opt to pay 160.00 to retain my years as a member. Seriously?
I think NOT.

WBCCI wonders why the boomers won't be strong armed by these hostile tactics. Enough is enough.

I seriously went to home Depot, bought some stripper and removed my numbers today before the sunset due the starch that I was subjected to.

Now many may have had wonderful experiences.
I just don't need a club that attempts to thwart it's members during the loss of their loved ones all for the almighty dollar.

When I was young, we had thousands, seriously thousands at the yearly international rallyies. Now they are lucky to get a thousand. The membership book was as thick as a dictionary. Now it could fit in your glove box.

Sign me off of WBCCI, perhaps they will wake up before they become defunct, as the boomers and certainly neither the gen x or y's will stand for this type of starchy attitude.

I was told they have rules. NO KIDDING??
To that, I have a life to live, without any need to justify myself or good friends and my travels with silly red numbers and a ton of attitude from a corporate.

I retired from that long ago, I'm not about to subscribe to it again
Unfortunately, the IBT made a change to the Policy that gives the folks in the Office no options. They did so, because a very few members were taking advantage of a quirk and renewing every other year after July 1.

I was a member of the IBT who voted for the change. I want to assure you that we were most unhappy that the actions of a very few made this necessary. I can also tell you that you can join as a new member, after the 1st of the year for far less. Please contact me by PM if you would like to give me an ear full. I am no longer a member of the iBT, but would like to hear your thoughts on the topic.

I am truly sorry for your loss and would like to correspond with you about it.
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:38 PM   #111
Silversun

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Arlington , Washington
We are buying a AS 2015 RB twin FC from a dealer.
It would be so helpful to speak with the former owner so any repairs that are needed could be done by the dealer before we take possession. I am trying to find the owner of #19966.
What are my chances?
Thank you for any help.
Northwest Washington
Silversun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:04 AM   #112
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
You might have better luck putting your request on the thread devoted to looking up numbers.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:30 AM   #113
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversun View Post
It would be so helpful to speak with the former owner so any repairs that are needed could be done by the dealer before we take possession. I am trying to find the owner of #19966.
What are my chances?
Thank you for any help.
That's the owners number not the trailer number. Still you might get some info on the other site.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:23 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstewart23 View Post
When I joined I picked a group I thought would be my kind of group. The group never bothered to contact me, even after I emailed multiple people in the group. Obviously I don't want to be in that group anymore. I don't have time to keep pursuing this. I am just a number apparently.
Just because you send someone an email that goes unanswered doesn't mean they're unfriendly or ignoring you. It's very likely your email went into a "junk" email box instead of their inbox because you weren't in their address-book. They are not the ones with poor form if you leave in a huff over it. (Meanwhile, you're in the perfect location to participate in a really warm group known as the Texas Alamo Unit. PM me and I"ll definitely respond with contact info. I'm no officer, so don't call me "sir!")

Same is true of a phone call. I never answer phone calls if my cell does not recognize the caller. Too many junk calls these days.
If you want to be recognized, leave a message and I'll return the call. (Might be a good idea to enter my number in your address-book if you feel similarly and truly want a return-call.) That's what I do.

Meanwhile, I'm a new WBCCI Member and have discovered everyone I've met to be warm folks. The only complaints of which I've become aware have been those I've read here in the forums, and that might be partially due to the INpersonal internet thing. People who can post on the internet can have a peculiar way of believing they can behave poorly with impunity sometimes.
I plan to contribute what I can, and make friends when I can. The experience will prove itself out one way or t'other. (Just had a fantastic experience at the Texas Country Air rally in Quanah and made lots of new friends! Thank you!)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:51 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversun View Post
What are my chances?
Thank you for any help.
I would tell the dealer you want to speak to the last owner. If they say no to that, I would very much question why? What have they got to hide.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:01 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
The dealer has nothing to hide; it is the "CONFIDENTIALITY LAW" big brother looking out for us. This was the answer I got from the AS dealer when trying to organize a local AS rally.
Mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
I cannot speak for the USA, but here in Canada the dealer has the ability to call the old owner and inform them that they have a client who would like to speak to them about their trailer. 99% of the time the old owner will not have a problem with the dealer giving the client the contact info. If for any reason the dealer does not want to do this. I would be walking out of the dealership as fast as my little legs would carry me....
Old 10-30-2016, 12:09 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I will qualify my statement; the dealer called me and asked if he could give contact information to the person that purchased my trailer when traded.
In the previous post, I had asked for a list of Airstream customers with contact information.
mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:11 PM   #119
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
When we sold our last AS the new owner got my name and phone number. It turned into an almost daily call about the reasons I did this or that to the trailer, finally I told her what I did to the trailer was my business and I didn't need to justify anything. Besides, I wasn't the first owner. The calls continued, mostly about small things, until I had to tell her to stop harassing me. She got my name either from paperwork left in the trailer or from the dealer where I traded. I didn't mind the first ten or so calls, but after a few weeks it was apparent she was disatified and was looking for someone to blame for her purchase.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:59 AM   #120
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
The dealer has nothing to hide; it is the "CONFIDENTIALITY LAW" big brother looking out for us. This was the answer I got from the AS dealer when trying to organize a local AS rally.
Mike
Not an AS but... a dozen years ago I was looking to buy a low-mileage (80K miles Jeep Cherokee) vehicle from a dealer (church-yard car-lot) who refused to allow contact with a prior owner (another dealer) for "privacy reasons".

I simply contacted the Dept of Public Safety, who informed me that vehicle registrations are public information and gave me the info. I called the previous dealer and asked him if he knew of any defects, and he praised the vehicle and said he'd used it for his daily driver and that it was a fantastic car...the only reason he sold it was because of it's high-mileage....170K miles!

Texas DPS did a really fun "sting" operation on the church/dealer who wanted to sell to me. (Some insurance underwriters also willingly research that info which can reveal hurricane-flooding damaged/restored vehicles. It is wise to remember that previous owners have no obligation to communicate with you and repeated/obnoxious calls can be seen as illegal harassment. )
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote