View Poll Results: Why did leave WBCCI ?
Cost to much 10 21.74%
Not enough value for the membership fee 17 36.96%
To many rules 18 39.13%
I don't need to belong to group to enjoy camping 22 47.83%
Bad experience 9 19.57%
Other reason(s) 9 19.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2015, 08:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
My comment meant those who were members in the seventys, not those seventy years old now., although they may be the same.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
With the membership in WBCCI dropping I am curious as to how many forum readers are former members and why they left the club and how long you were members.
WBCCI membership is not dropping. It dropped more or less steadily from the all-time high year of 1978 through a few years ago, but for the last two or three years it has been increasing. I have been a member for 12 years now and new members are joining my own unit (Wisconsin) faster than I have ever seen before.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Left when the "any motor home by Thor" proposal was resurrected immediately after being shot down for the second time. And the proposal started in my Region.

The leadership at the time did not give a flying rat's patootie about the wishes of the membership.

Maybe different now but I am no longer interested.

Mike
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:55 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2014 30' Classic
Columbus , Ohio
Why leave WBCCI

We joined earlier this year and have been sorely disappointed. We joined to take advantage of the various caravan trips. I checked into four of them and they'd been booked for some time. We don't have the luxury of planning more than a year from now...not knowing if any similar trips will materialize. We're not interested in the local rallies. Many of the Canadian and California chapters have great trips and rallies. We'll take a look at it again in a couple of years.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Some of the units have shorter caravans. Check with Nova.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:14 PM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokomogoggy View Post
We joined to take advantage of the various caravan trips.
I have been informed by the leader of the Cajun Caravan that it's common for people to sign up for multiple caravans, and then decide at the last minute which one to go on, thus leaving a space for someone on the waiting listó if they can take advantage of a last-minute opening. Of course, people who still work for a living usually don't own their own schedules and can't take advantage of last-minute openings, and people who live close to where the caravan starts have an advantage since it doesn't take them as long to mobilize. But if you can, then being on the waiting list is no hindrance.

In one of the seminars here at Farmington, I made the suggestion that caravans reserve a couple of spaces specifically for first-timers who haven't been on that caravan before, with a separate waiting list, so they're not constrained to wait until the repeat customers have decided which caravan they want to go on, of the many they signed up for. It remains to be seen if that suggestion will bear fruit.

But in the meantime, take advantage of the system. Sign up for every caravan you might want to go on, and if you move up the waiting list for one, then cancel the others, same way the old-timers do it.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:37 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Just like most everything else in life, you have to know how to work the system. For better or worse!
Old 07-03-2015, 03:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
All I know is the members make the club a "CLUB". I am an active member for 5 years and my wife and I consider the club to be part of our life now. With all the new friends and aquintences we have made and all of the activities and rallys, we are having a great time. There will always be naysayers. To each their own.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:44 PM   #23
Jay Thompson

2009 34' Classic
Tallahassee, , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokomogoggy View Post
We joined earlier this year and have been sorely disappointed. We joined to take advantage of the various caravan trips. I checked into four of them and they'd been booked for some time. We don't have the luxury of planning more than a year from now...not knowing if any similar trips will materialize. We're not interested in the local rallies. Many of the Canadian and California chapters have great trips and rallies. We'll take a look at it again in a couple of years.

There is space on this year's SW Adventure caravan. I spoke with the leaders, Margie and Phil Glassey and they have one space available for this year's caravan. My wife and I will be co-leading the SW Caravan with the Glasseys next year, 2016 and there are currently 22 rigs signed up and we will be taking 30. We would be pleased to have you on the caravan.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-08-2015, 07:22 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Limited
Franklin , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Left when the "any motor home by Thor" proposal was resurrected immediately after being shot down for the second time. And the proposal started in my Region.

The leadership at the time did not give a flying rat's patootie about the wishes of the membership.

Maybe different now but I am no longer interested.

Mike
I think the club should have standards, and one of the standards should be " only airstream" otherwise, it devalues the whole concept that Wally started. I'm sure there are other RV clubs where anything goes, if someone were so inclined to look, but this one should be specific only. If someone doesn't think so, they should find a different club. My .02.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:55 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBen View Post
I think the club should have standards, and one of the standards should be " only airstream" otherwise, it devalues the whole concept that Wally started. I'm sure there are other RV clubs where anything goes, if someone were so inclined to look, but this one should be specific only. If someone doesn't think so, they should find a different club. My .02.

I agree - and not to stir the pot, but the new Prez's intro letter in the latest Blue Beret mag identifies one of his goals as "Strengthening the Club's ties with Airstream and with Thor." If that is a hint at wanting to change the definition of Airstream-only, I know I'm not going to continue to be a member. And I say this as someone who really loves the New England Unit and isn't thinking much about International politics - but if (big if) that's a new direction, I'm definitely not interested.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:01 AM   #26
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
You forgot the box in the poll "used your dues to send you a cease and desist letter for holding a WBCCI only rally"
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:20 AM   #27
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I agree - and not to stir the pot, but the new Prez's intro letter in the latest Blue Beret mag identifies one of his goals as "Strengthening the Club's ties with Airstream and with Thor." If that is a hint at wanting to change the definition of Airstream-only, I know I'm not going to continue to be a member.
I don't think that's the case. At least, I hope not. Thor is the parent company of Airstream, and any changes at Airstream have to be supported by Thor's management. Strengthening ties with Airstream pretty much also requires strengthening ties with Thor.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:42 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Thor has a VG line of MOHO's. Take 2 or 3 of their models and repurpose them into Airstream models. Change the graphics and Add the Airstream logo/name. That is essentially what they have done with the Interstate; they use a Mercedes or Dodge chassis make the rest of the unit Airstream. Maybe this would keep everyone happy, or just opened a new can of worms.

mike