Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-06-2004, 01:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
grogan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 44
Whats the problem?............

I keep hearing that alot of WBCCI members are not coming to Region 3 because of the price of the rally is $240.00 for 2 people.

Well less break it down :

7 days of parking full hook-ups (Avg camp ground cost $22.50 a night)
3 Breakfasts (Avg breakfast cost $ 4.00 per)
2 Dinners (Avg dinner cost $10.50 per)
2 Shows Entertainment

So, less add it up - 7 x 22.50 = $ 157.50 $157.50
3 x 4.00 = $ 12.00 x 2 = $ 24.00
2 x 10.50 = $ 21.00 x 2 = $ 42.00

Total $ $223.50
Whish leaves $17.50 for the 2 entertainments

So can some one tell what the problem is?

We plan to be there, and I hope others will plan to come also. WE NEED TO support WBCCI and our Region III.
__________________

__________________
Marcus G. Grogan #29206: www.theitchyhitch.com
grogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 03:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
fireflyinva's Avatar
 
1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 579
Images: 3
Arrow Since you are asking...

Since you are asking, I figure I'll give you my take. I hope you see this as constructive and not damaging, but it's my honest take as someone who doesn't plan to attend. Remember--it's just an opinion--and others may differ.

First and most critically, DH and I both work for a living, so any vacation activity has to be darn fantastic to warrant our wanting to take time off for it. Looking at this rally, it just seems a bit too long and too distant...I'd suggest offering a per-night fee for folks who might be able to consider weekending it.

Second, spending a week in a campground looking at other airstreams just sounds a bit boring. What are folks going to do the whole time? Why should they want to travel to the rally site? Are you going to have workshops? Contests? Silly movies at night? Themed parties? Organized hikes or excursions? Are there area attractions? If so, build up a website showing all of these things.

I notice that you mention meals and shows included in the price. As a vegetarian, I rarely can eat what's offered, so meals are a waste unless a veg option is offered. Pot lucks appeal to everyone--plus folks have so much fun sharing favorite foods.

Similarly, show tickets should be offered as an option, not as a set cost. I know from past work with delegations that tastes differ and many folks will not like or appreciate the shows (or may have already seen them). Cut these items and that's a $42 saving.

I hope you get more feedback with good ideas so you can get a better sense of what folk really want in a Rally. Meanwhile, I wish you all the best with the Rally,

Mary
__________________

__________________
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 03:38 PM   #3
Just a member
 
thenewkid64's Avatar
 
1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,539
Images: 21
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Mary,

All good feedback. I know Marcus started this but I will attempt to answer the points from where I sit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
First and most critically, DH and I both work for a living, so any vacation activity has to be darn fantastic to warrant our wanting to take time off for it. Looking at this rally, it just seems a bit too long and too distant...I'd suggest offering a per-night fee for folks who might be able to consider weekending it.

Second, spending a week in a campground looking at other airstreams just sounds a bit boring. What are folks going to do the whole time? Why should they want to travel to the rally site? Are you going to have workshops? Contests? Silly movies at night? Themed parties? Organized hikes or excursions? Are there area attractions? If so, build up a website showing all of these things.
For this rally there is a weekend day rate just for that reason.
Check out this thread for the tentative schedule of events and the announcement that there will be a per day rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
I notice that you mention meals and shows included in the price. As a vegetarian, I rarely can eat what's offered, so meals are a waste unless a veg option is offered. Pot lucks appeal to everyone--plus folks have so much fun sharing favorite foods.
Having a potluck for 200 people is not feasible. There are also many members that do not attend pot luck's because they have had a bad experience with improperly prepared/stored food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
Similarly, show tickets should be offered as an option, not as a set cost. I know from past work with delegations that tastes differ and many folks will not like or appreciate the shows (or may have already seen them). Cut these items and that's a $42 saving.
While the entertainment is not always what you think you would enjoy, I have been pleasantly surprised at some of it. Other times it can be a unappealing to me as well. The issue with charging a per night ticket fee is that it creates an inordinate amount of work for the rally workers. Securing the venue so those that have not paid are not allowed in, and that those that have can get in. Not to mention dealing with lost tickets, and those that want to pay at the door. It can be done. All it takes is many more people that are willing to work the event. Getting rally workers is already a difficult task.

I could go on, but what happens when you try to go ala-carte on something like this is it normally complicates matters to the point that no one is happy with any of the arrangements IMHO.

Keep the info coming
__________________
Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato


thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engine Revving Problem winner Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... 19 02-08-2010 11:05 PM
Argosy water fill problem mcneon Argosy Motorhomes 1 10-09-2003 06:30 AM
12v problem Chuck Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 18 10-08-2003 12:15 PM
Inverter problem Don McKelvay Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 2 11-03-2002 06:40 AM
Electrical problem resolved davidz71 Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 5 08-12-2002 09:21 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.