View Poll Results: What does the average attendee like to eat for dinner at Rallies?
Roast beef, pork, or fish. Potato, Veg, Salad, and Desert 30 54.55%
Ham and Beans, Cole Slaw, and Desert 7 12.73%
Hamburger, Hot dogs, Macaroni Salad, and Desert 20 36.36%
Sandwiches, Chips, and Cookies 5 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2006, 04:18 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I got into a jam at the last Florida state by deciding to make meatballs. HaHaHa!!! 3 amp power, not able to use microwave, and as Terry said (above post) the oven has 2 speeds, off and blackened. So.... I bought frozen meatballs and a jar of mild salsa and simmered them for 25 minutes, then served crackers (different kinds) with them and they were good. I try to expirement (?spelling) with different things and have several kinds of ingredients on hand, even for rallys so if menus change, I can to.
As for pot lucks, anything goes, as long as it has been cooked. No raw fish, etc., for me. Most of the ones we have been to, the food has been really good, and I like getting ideas from other cooks, and if asked I'll share mine.

Marie

Old 10-13-2006, 04:48 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
I am wondering how much Food Safety is a conscious consideration? Temperature controls, time in serve, dish cleaning practice, and such things are big deals for catering and commercial establishments but I wonder just how much thought they get in the "let's share a meal" crowd.

Is there a had washing facility at the pot luck? Anyone use ice chests or similar for cold or hot keeping?

As for religious practices, it seems only appropriate to show tolerance and respect for others when it does not intrude. I do not know why some would want to ridicule, comment, stare, or show other disrespect.

For me, one of the most important things on the menu is the opportunity to share a meal with friends.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:17 PM   #87
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Interesting point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipper
I am wondering how much Food Safety is a conscious consideration? Is there a had washing facility at the pot luck?
I bring wipes, the antibacterial ones so we do our hands before picnics with that. I use germ-x if I am cooking outdoors, soapy water indoors. I think we all use a good amount of care cooking for friends and family. I can honestly say that, I've never gotten sick because of a potluck, I have gotten sick after eating at restaurants though. Good tips on that website for food safety!

Sharing a meal is fun, hospitality is a big deal in my family, its an honor to have guests and to share food with them.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:38 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Just a little clarification on my last post, my point was not that prayer is anything to be sneered at but that if we remove Jehovah and Jesus Christ from the prayers to encompass all various religions and non-religions and pray to unknown gods in a "generic" (existing word choice) way as Paul viewed the alters of unknown gods, just whom are we praying to? There is but one Almighty in my religion. So if we embrace all beliefs we have embraced none, is my thinking and watered down the tribute to be meaningless when it should be sacred. And this is why I think social functions should be separate. It's almost Christmas and you know how that goes with having to remove nativity scenes and religion. I just thought we already have our hands full trying to unite on less volatile grounds already.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:29 AM   #89
4 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
marlborough , Massachusetts
Quote:
I am wondering how much Food Safety is a conscious consideration? Temperature controls, time in serve, dish cleaning practice, and such things are big deals for catering and commercial establishments but I wonder just how much thought they get in the "let's share a meal" crowd.

Is there a had washing facility at the pot luck? Anyone use ice chests or similar for cold or hot keeping?

As for religious practices, it seems only appropriate to show tolerance and respect for others when it does not intrude. I do not know why some would want to ridicule, comment, stare, or show other disrespect.

For me, one of the most important things on the menu is the opportunity to

share a meal with friends.

Food safety is my biggest concern with potlucks. Although I have not been sick after a potluck I do think about how the dish was prepared and held until serving.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:51 AM   #90
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:

For me, one of the most important things on the menu is the opportunity to share a meal with friends.
While I don't know of anyone who uses the three sink/wash basin method (maybe I'm the only one), I trust most people do a good enough job washing their dishes and preparing their food. I think you can look at the food and judge wheather it was properly prepared and decide wheather to eat it or not.

There are a lot of variables in life and I don't think you can go through life afraid of them. I think pot-lucks are a lot safer than driving to work and I do that every day.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:38 PM   #91
Riviting Espresso

1978 25' Caravanner
Boca Raton , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ColdEspresso Send a message via Yahoo to ColdEspresso
My choice is fresh fish when you're near a place you can get it. If I camp in coastal areas, I will try to find a local vendor by asking fishing boat capitans abput their catch. In FL they are often glad to sell some of their fresh catch. I also prefer fresh trout. The fly waters in the south are great. Don't keep more than you will eat! Please release the "trophy trout" for someone else to catch, and never exceed the limit. There are plenty fish for everyone.
1978 Caravanner
2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71
2009 VW Sportwagen TDi
Rancilio Espresso Machine w/ Rocky Grinder
ColdEspresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:37 AM   #92
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
Muddy Hollow,
To answer your PM... (clean out your inbox it's full)

On Mexican Food:

My favorite Mexican Cookbooks are

Diana Kennedy The Cuisines of Mexico.
It is very well written and simple to follow. She is an American that has spent most of her life in Mexico and has written several cookbooks. The fun part is you learn a lot about the history behind Mexican cooking. Her bean and Mexican rice recipe is perfect. Follow it to a T and your friends will wonder how you learned to cook.
Another great resource is author Rick Bayliss he has written several must have Mexican cookbooks. This is a great starting point.
Happy eating and travels,
Hey, wanted to thank you for the tip, Picked up Diana Kennedy The Cuisines of Mexico (Amazon.com) Great stuff in there!!!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:59 PM   #93
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
Hey, wanted to thank you for the tip, Picked up Diana Kennedy The Cuisines of Mexico (Amazon.com) Great stuff in there!!!
I've seen that cookbook...worth picking up.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:55 PM   #94
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
Balrgn,
You are welcome... thank you for your kind words.. Another must try recipe in her book is Chilorio- shredded pork. Tasty doesn't even describe...
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:14 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
I've seen that cookbook...worth picking up.
Well yeah, Susan can let no cook books pass by
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 10-23-2006, 02:44 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Does this sound like we're heading to a Mexican, Tex/Mex or BBQ theme for the next pot luck? I thought the Italian theme at R1 was great.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:58 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
Does this sound like we're heading to a Mexican, Tex/Mex or BBQ theme for the next pot luck? I thought the Italian theme at R1 was great.
We were thinkin of everyone makin Chili, and pouring into a huge pot for Pot luck...
Mmmmmmmm That'n Cornbread
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 10-23-2006, 02:59 PM   #98
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander