View Poll Results: What does the average attendee like to eat for dinner at Rallies?
Roast beef, pork, or fish. Potato, Veg, Salad, and Desert 30 54.55%
Ham and Beans, Cole Slaw, and Desert 7 12.73%
Hamburger, Hot dogs, Macaroni Salad, and Desert 20 36.36%
Sandwiches, Chips, and Cookies 5 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2006, 10:55 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine L
I love all food (as my fellow NEU members know) and we have some really creative "cooks" in our group.
Fruit?

peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:59 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine L
Gee I always thought the woman in that picture was Lisa.
No... Lisa doesn't wear those long gowns, too clumsy and think of those gravy stains. My Mom? No... she never used the oven. That's how I found out when I turned it on for the first time and it hit 900F and was still climbing - makes nachos in a hurry.

peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:17 PM   #73
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I agree with Minnie's Mate. This is such a diverse society now-a-days that get togethers such as forum rallies tend to have folks from all faiths. At the last rally, we got into an open discussion of religion and found that we had folks from about 5 different religious backgrounds. We asked Chaplain Kent if he could provide a non-denomination service for Sunday a.m. He did a wonderful job and we even had music and song to go along. It was very informal and even the small ones were talking about it later in the day.

Big Kudos to Chaplain Kent (for sermon) and Alan (for the music)!
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:30 PM   #74
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
Grill Your Own

Loving all kinds of food. Knowing there's all kinds of diets, religions and preferences out there. I love the idea of "Grill Your Own and Dine Together". Often times the NE Unit members will drag out their grills and food, cook, enjoy a beverage, set up tables and eat together. Very social and lots of fun. We can actually roll right from happy hour to grilling to dinner then the campfire...amazing!

This is very different alternative to pot-luck. It lets you have control over what you are eating and still be very social.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:37 PM   #75
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
That's how I found out when I turned it on for the first time and it hit 900F and was still climbing - makes nachos in a hurry.
I've gotta work on ours, too. It seems to have two settings, "off", and "blackened".
Old 09-28-2006, 09:16 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I don't have a problem with public prayer as long as it isn't for pious purposes. As a Christian I am sensitive that not everyone is also a Christian and agree that we shouldn't assume they are nor should we attempt to impose our religion on others.

We live in a diverse culture and I believe that we should be sensitive to others, however, America is a predominately Judeo-Christian society and I don't think the vast majority of Americans are offended by a generic prayer such as the eloquently simple one you offered above. It is not denominational, nor should it be offensive to Jews or Muslum. Jews and Christians worship the same God and Muslims claim that Alah is the same as Jahovah. This last one I question based on historical evidence to the contrary, but that is a discussion best not included in this forum.

So I think the blessing of fellowship and food should not be feared to offensive, but should be included in the potluck dinner function. Perhaps others would disagree and I would welcome opinions on this as I may be in the minority and not realize it.

Please let me know how most of you feel. If I should start a poll or seperate thread I can or if it isn't that big of a deal, I can let the subject die here.

Just to be clear: my prayer in quotes was a suggestion, not an example of an offense -- in fact I agree with you completely in what you say; my concern is the use of "Jesus Christ" rather than a more generic "God."

Hope that helps...

Tom
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:55 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Favorite foods...

I vote for potlucks! Everyone can find something they really enjoy and something they can eat! For example, not everyone is a meat eater... not everyone likes spicy foods... some folks are diabetic and have strict dietary requirements... but the potlucks usually have something for everyone!

It is also a great way for folks to try new things when feeling brave! Or, have an opportunity to eat one of their favorites that they no longer have at home because their spouse no longer has that item on their "approved" list.

It is the good food, the friendship, and the airstream talk that is the best!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
Old 09-28-2006, 11:57 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
I vote for potlucks! Everyone can find something they really enjoy and something they can eat! For example, not everyone is a meat eater... not everyone likes spicy foods... some folks are diabetic and have strict dietary requirements... but the potlucks usually have something for everyone!

It is also a great way for folks to try new things when feeling brave! Or, have an opportunity to eat one of their favorites that they no longer have at home because their spouse no longer has that item on their "approved" list.

It is the good food, the friendship, and the airstream talk that is the best!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
I'll second that!
Old 09-29-2006, 04:57 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
When I am asked what should be changed at rallies to improve them my answer is always no meetings and better food. Realizing that this is a regional or unit thing; however, it does appear the subject of food is a hot one across the country. I will put our region, #7 and our unit, Wisconsin last in the food category. Granted I missed the last region rally except for the greasy breakfast. The emphasis seems to be on cholesterol and hardening the arteries of all those attending. At one region rally they actually served boiled baloney and fried potatoes, a throw back to the depression. I remember the first unit rally we attended when we were told about the great caterers, who were also members of the unit. What we were not told is that they cooked the food 150 miles away and carried it on hot plates to the unit location! Fortunately these people sold their trailer and no longer provide the food. The common fare is always slimy colorless beans; wallpaper paste dressing; mystery brown meat swimming in a greasy gravy; day old rolls one small pad of butter, frozen; and a grocery store cake. What is my favorite? A pot luck barbque, we are camping after all.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:53 AM   #80
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSTRK
Just to be clear: my prayer in quotes was a suggestion, not an example of an offense -- in fact I agree with you completely in what you say; my concern is the use of "Jesus Christ" rather than a more generic "God."

Hope that helps...

Tom
I agree, I didn't mean to imply that yours was an example of an offense. I do agree that in today's diverse culture we are appropriate in making a prayer appeal to as widespread of a spiritual community as possible. I would much rather participate in a non-denominational, non-religion specific prayer than to allienate someone whose beliefs vary from mine. We no longer live in a homogeneous society where everyone believes the same thing and to act as if they do would be arrogance. So your point in your first post is very valid. I feel that God should be welcome at all gatherings whether it be in the form of God the Father, God the Son, or God the Holy Spirit. I would hate to loose that.

I used to work with a delightful Indian who was a Hindu. In fact, his personal god was Chrishna. He often refered to Lord and to Jesus. To him, I'm sure he was acknowledging the validity of my religion. And I certainly never rejected the validity of his. It was not mine, but I knew I would never have a witnessing opportunity if his mind was shut by insults from me. He has retired now and he has attended Baptist churches in his community, but has never made the committment to Christ. Perhaps he will one day, but it would have been a lot harder for him to if I had put a stumbling block in front of him by insulting his belief system.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:06 PM   #81
1 Rivet Member

Potluck is my favorite

Potluck's are always popular with the NEU and are great for trying out new things or things we normally wouldn't eat at home. They can be heavy on the carbs but that is ok because someone always ends up bringing a salad, fruit or lighter fare. We have done "planned potlucks" too so we can control the number of appetizers, meats, salads, side dishes and desserts.

Ummm...hungry now just thinking about it!
Old 10-13-2006, 09:04 AM   #82
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy_hollow
... and why some have very strong opinions about food...
My philosophy...
Strong opinions are ok but they should be "weakly held" or else you run the risk of not "hearing" the other side. "Weakly held" means to not be too attached to your "strong opinion" otherwise you undermine your ability to "see" and "hear" evidence that clashes with your opinions.

Hence, I will try anything at least once!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:42 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Food philosophy and rallies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
My philosophy...
Strong opinions are ok but they should be "weakly held" or else you run the risk of not "hearing" the other side. "Weakly held" means to not be too attached to your "strong opinion" otherwise you undermine your ability to "see" and "hear" evidence that clashes with your opinions.

Hence, I will try anything at least once!
So true, Yuki. Like I've told others, when it comes to rallies I'm not really in it for the food anyway. Even though I have preferences and I understand the benefit of having food to bring people together, when it comes to a rally I'll eat just about anything. Since I'm there with my trailer I have a fridge and cupboard packed with my favorites, whatever anyone else is offering is just icing so-to-speak.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:10 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Appetizers and finger food! YEA!! I like trying different variations of the old favorites and discovering new favorites. I think that is more festive and more social than "dinner." So much time and energy seems to go into meal preparation. I like it casual and adventuresome. Potlucks seem to have so much food left over, especially my offerings

About leading prayers, seems the devout have always lowered their heads before a meal. I'm not sure of the real benefit of the unaccustomed to follow along at an occassional social function because it's the perceived thing to do. Oh, and dumbing down content to include "generic" gods, is not doing a heck of a lot for anyone's soul and possibly only creating feelings of self-righteousness.

I'd like to see patriotism and religion left to individuals and not under club domain.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote