View Poll Results: What does the average attendee like to eat for dinner at Rallies?
Roast beef, pork, or fish. Potato, Veg, Salad, and Desert 30 54.55%
Ham and Beans, Cole Slaw, and Desert 7 12.73%
Hamburger, Hot dogs, Macaroni Salad, and Desert 20 36.36%
Sandwiches, Chips, and Cookies 5 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-28-2006, 10:55 AM   #71
Rivet Master
 
peegreen's Avatar
 
1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine L
I love all food (as my fellow NEU members know) and we have some really creative "cooks" in our group.
Fruit?
__________________

__________________
WBCCI 24291
New England Unit
Metropolitan NY Unit
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:59 AM   #72
Rivet Master
 
peegreen's Avatar
 
1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine L
Gee I always thought the woman in that picture was Lisa.
No... Lisa doesn't wear those long gowns, too clumsy and think of those gravy stains. My Mom? No... she never used the oven. That's how I found out when I turned it on for the first time and it hit 900F and was still climbing - makes nachos in a hurry.
__________________

__________________
WBCCI 24291
New England Unit
Metropolitan NY Unit
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:17 PM   #73
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire
 
kposey's Avatar

 
1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,004
Images: 56
Blog Entries: 1
I agree with Minnie's Mate. This is such a diverse society now-a-days that get togethers such as forum rallies tend to have folks from all faiths. At the last rally, we got into an open discussion of religion and found that we had folks from about 5 different religious backgrounds. We asked Chaplain Kent if he could provide a non-denomination service for Sunday a.m. He did a wonderful job and we even had music and song to go along. It was very informal and even the small ones were talking about it later in the day.

Big Kudos to Chaplain Kent (for sermon) and Alan (for the music)!
__________________
Kathy, Tommy, & Crew, Chattanooga, TN
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:30 PM   #74
Pam
Rivet Master
 
Pam's Avatar
 
1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,060
Grill Your Own

Loving all kinds of food. Knowing there's all kinds of diets, religions and preferences out there. I love the idea of "Grill Your Own and Dine Together". Often times the NE Unit members will drag out their grills and food, cook, enjoy a beverage, set up tables and eat together. Very social and lots of fun. We can actually roll right from happy hour to grilling to dinner then the campfire...amazing!

This is very different alternative to pot-luck. It lets you have control over what you are eating and still be very social.
__________________
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:37 PM   #75
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
That's how I found out when I turned it on for the first time and it hit 900F and was still climbing - makes nachos in a hurry.
I've gotta work on ours, too. It seems to have two settings, "off", and "blackened".
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:16 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I don't have a problem with public prayer as long as it isn't for pious purposes. As a Christian I am sensitive that not everyone is also a Christian and agree that we shouldn't assume they are nor should we attempt to impose our religion on others.

We live in a diverse culture and I believe that we should be sensitive to others, however, America is a predominately Judeo-Christian society and I don't think the vast majority of Americans are offended by a generic prayer such as the eloquently simple one you offered above. It is not denominational, nor should it be offensive to Jews or Muslum. Jews and Christians worship the same God and Muslims claim that Alah is the same as Jahovah. This last one I question based on historical evidence to the contrary, but that is a discussion best not included in this forum.

So I think the blessing of fellowship and food should not be feared to offensive, but should be included in the potluck dinner function. Perhaps others would disagree and I would welcome opinions on this as I may be in the minority and not realize it.

Please let me know how most of you feel. If I should start a poll or seperate thread I can or if it isn't that big of a deal, I can let the subject die here.

Just to be clear: my prayer in quotes was a suggestion, not an example of an offense -- in fact I agree with you completely in what you say; my concern is the use of "Jesus Christ" rather than a more generic "God."

Hope that helps...


Tom
__________________
Tom and Frank
Evanston, Illinois
2004 Safari 28 ft Slideout "Lucy" 4 HI CAMP
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:55 PM   #77
Rivet Master
 
CaddyGrn's Avatar
 
1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,879
Favorite foods...

I vote for potlucks! Everyone can find something they really enjoy and something they can eat! For example, not everyone is a meat eater... not everyone likes spicy foods... some folks are diabetic and have strict dietary requirements... but the potlucks usually have something for everyone!

It is also a great way for folks to try new things when feeling brave! Or, have an opportunity to eat one of their favorites that they no longer have at home because their spouse no longer has that item on their "approved" list.

It is the good food, the friendship, and the airstream talk that is the best!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
__________________
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:57 PM   #78
Rivet Master
 
codybear's Avatar
 
1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,562
Images: 315
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
I vote for potlucks! Everyone can find something they really enjoy and something they can eat! For example, not everyone is a meat eater... not everyone likes spicy foods... some folks are diabetic and have strict dietary requirements... but the potlucks usually have something for everyone!

It is also a great way for folks to try new things when feeling brave! Or, have an opportunity to eat one of their favorites that they no longer have at home because their spouse no longer has that item on their "approved" list.

It is the good food, the friendship, and the airstream talk that is the best!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
I'll second that!
__________________
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:57 AM   #79
Rivet Master
 
Chaplain Kent's Avatar
 
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,934
When I am asked what should be changed at rallies to improve them my answer is always no meetings and better food. Realizing that this is a regional or unit thing; however, it does appear the subject of food is a hot one across the country. I will put our region, #7 and our unit, Wisconsin last in the food category. Granted I missed the last region rally except for the greasy breakfast. The emphasis seems to be on cholesterol and hardening the arteries of all those attending. At one region rally they actually served boiled baloney and fried potatoes, a throw back to the depression. I remember the first unit rally we attended when we were told about the great caterers, who were also members of the unit. What we were not told is that they cooked the food 150 miles away and carried it on hot plates to the unit location! Fortunately these people sold their trailer and no longer provide the food. The common fare is always slimy colorless beans; wallpaper paste dressing; mystery brown meat swimming in a greasy gravy; day old rolls one small pad of butter, frozen; and a grocery store cake. What is my favorite? A pot luck barbque, we are camping after all.
__________________
Chaplain Kent
2015 Coachman Freedom Express 19RBS, Chummy IV- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 08:53 AM   #80
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
 
Minnie's Mate's Avatar
 
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,693
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSTRK
Just to be clear: my prayer in quotes was a suggestion, not an example of an offense -- in fact I agree with you completely in what you say; my concern is the use of "Jesus Christ" rather than a more generic "God."

Hope that helps...


Tom
I agree, I didn't mean to imply that yours was an example of an offense. I do agree that in today's diverse culture we are appropriate in making a prayer appeal to as widespread of a spiritual community as possible. I would much rather participate in a non-denominational, non-religion specific prayer than to allienate someone whose beliefs vary from mine. We no longer live in a homogeneous society where everyone believes the same thing and to act as if they do would be arrogance. So your point in your first post is very valid. I feel that God should be welcome at all gatherings whether it be in the form of God the Father, God the Son, or God the Holy Spirit. I would hate to loose that.

I used to work with a delightful Indian who was a Hindu. In fact, his personal god was Chrishna. He often refered to Lord and to Jesus. To him, I'm sure he was acknowledging the validity of my religion. And I certainly never rejected the validity of his. It was not mine, but I knew I would never have a witnessing opportunity if his mind was shut by insults from me. He has retired now and he has attended Baptist churches in his community, but has never made the committment to Christ. Perhaps he will one day, but it would have been a lot harder for him to if I had put a stumbling block in front of him by insulting his belief system.
__________________
2006 30' Safari - "Changes in Latitudes"
2008 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab SWB
Family of Disney Fanatics
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:06 PM   #81
1 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 12
Potluck is my favorite

Potluck's are always popular with the NEU and are great for trying out new things or things we normally wouldn't eat at home. They can be heavy on the carbs but that is ok because someone always ends up bringing a salad, fruit or lighter fare. We have done "planned potlucks" too so we can control the number of appetizers, meats, salads, side dishes and desserts.

Ummm...hungry now just thinking about it!
__________________
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:04 AM   #82
Rivet Master
 
yukionna's Avatar
 
Massachusetts
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 1964 17' Bambi II
Posts: 4,278
Images: 18
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy_hollow
... and why some have very strong opinions about food...
My philosophy...
Strong opinions are ok but they should be "weakly held" or else you run the risk of not "hearing" the other side. "Weakly held" means to not be too attached to your "strong opinion" otherwise you undermine your ability to "see" and "hear" evidence that clashes with your opinions.

Hence, I will try anything at least once!
__________________
WBCCI Region One

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:42 AM   #83
Rivet Master
 
LuminumTraila's Avatar
 
2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 987
Images: 3
Food philosophy and rallies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
My philosophy...
Strong opinions are ok but they should be "weakly held" or else you run the risk of not "hearing" the other side. "Weakly held" means to not be too attached to your "strong opinion" otherwise you undermine your ability to "see" and "hear" evidence that clashes with your opinions.

Hence, I will try anything at least once!
So true, Yuki. Like I've told others, when it comes to rallies I'm not really in it for the food anyway. Even though I have preferences and I understand the benefit of having food to bring people together, when it comes to a rally I'll eat just about anything. Since I'm there with my trailer I have a fridge and cupboard packed with my favorites, whatever anyone else is offering is just icing so-to-speak.

-J
__________________
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:10 PM   #84
Rivet Master
 
wheel interested's Avatar
 
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7,039
Appetizers and finger food! YEA!! I like trying different variations of the old favorites and discovering new favorites. I think that is more festive and more social than "dinner." So much time and energy seems to go into meal preparation. I like it casual and adventuresome. Potlucks seem to have so much food left over, especially my offerings

About leading prayers, seems the devout have always lowered their heads before a meal. I'm not sure of the real benefit of the unaccustomed to follow along at an occassional social function because it's the perceived thing to do. Oh, and dumbing down content to include "generic" gods, is not doing a heck of a lot for anyone's soul and possibly only creating feelings of self-righteousness.

I'd like to see patriotism and religion left to individuals and not under club domain.
__________________

__________________
Caroljb



photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Average speed you tow at? John Community Polls 294 10-24-2015 03:45 PM
New Feature: Upcoming Rallies Page Andy R Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info 1 03-05-2006 09:19 PM
Rallies for M - F working class in SoCal (results and photos) casarodante Forum Rallies & Meet Ups 5 01-14-2003 11:07 AM
Rallies for M - F working class in SoCal GoldFever Forum Rallies & Meet Ups 54 12-10-2002 12:54 PM
Next Classic Airstream Motorhome Rally winner WBCCI Rallies & Events 38 04-24-2002 12:22 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.