View Poll Results: What does the average attendee like to eat for dinner at Rallies?
Roast beef, pork, or fish. Potato, Veg, Salad, and Desert 30 54.55%
Ham and Beans, Cole Slaw, and Desert 7 12.73%
Hamburger, Hot dogs, Macaroni Salad, and Desert 20 36.36%
Sandwiches, Chips, and Cookies 5 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2006, 08:53 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
We "try" to have a lo Carb appetizer as well for Happy hour. Some times itís tough to be good eh? The wife is VERY creative and we do our own thing sometimes as well.
A favorite is a Stuffed JalapeŮo pepper, Cream Cheese and ground pork stuffing wrapped in bacon.
Wow! That sounds great! I'd love the recipe for that. We have no problems keeping low carb but others often just don't get it... but it's not hard to do things with veggies, etc. But it sounds like you've done some really creative things!

2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:09 AM   #58
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
We called those campouts our "Gucci Campouts". Girls only and we took all the things our men said "you cant' take that camping!" Things like china, silver, crystal, linens and candlesticks - the whole nine yards! We ate at the picnic tables in rustic campgrounds with the 5 star restaurant menus - Mimosa's & waffles for breakfast and champagne, caviar, lobster thermadore, cheesecake for dinner. And then tucked ourselves in with our down comforters in our "Tent Majal" (huge tent - three rooms) which I still have.Shari
If it's worth doing, it's worth over-doing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
We did do hot dogs at a recent impromtu rally.

Folks chipped in and brought dogs and a side dish.... it was interesting. We ended up with 3 kinds of hand made brats, several flavors of yuppie wursts including some with added apple, fennel and some notable smoked salmon wursts, foot long kosher dogs, as well as a selection of smoked link things that were made by someone named Franz.

Sides included tater salad made with yukon golds, spicy pickled asparagus spears, handmade kraut, fresh peach cobbler and some yummy lemon bars.

I guess even when it's "just hot dogs" the NW forums crowd does it up! And why not - after all, we need extra energy to tote all the heavy bottles of merlot needed to wash all that food down!
You two do MY kind of camping!

No boondocking or Wal Mart parking lots for me.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:50 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Speaking of women's rallies & spice of life...before we had our Airstream, I would go tent-camping with a bunch of girls a couple of times a year. We called those campouts our "Gucci Campouts". Girls only and we took all the things our men said "you cant' take that camping!" Things like china, silver, crystal, linens and candlesticks - the whole nine yards! We ate at the picnic tables in rustic campgrounds with the 5 star restaurant menus - Mimosa's & waffles for breakfast and champagne, caviar, lobster thermadore, cheesecake for dinner.

Shari
If it's worth doing, it's worth over-doing!
Have you ever looked at the 1970's Airstream Story sales brochure that shows the husband waiting at the crystal candlelit table with china and linen as his wife pulls the 23lb turkey from the oven?
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:52 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
Have you ever looked at the 1970's Airstream Story sales brochure that shows the husband waiting at the crystal candlelit table with china and linen as his wife pulls the 23lb turkey from the oven?
Yep, most laugh...I look at it as a challenge!

Shari

P.S. And yes, I have baked an apple pie in my oven ~
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:58 AM   #61
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:

Shari

If time wasn't an issue when camping, I would certainly experiment with the micro/convection oven and try some things like bread or Key Lime Pie or similar and would go fancy on the entre', but I am always the one in charge of entertaining the kids and all of the outside the Airstream duties.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 09-27-2006, 12:30 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
I've cleaned up after Leon's baked apple pies in our oven - does this count?

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:07 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSTRK
Thank God for your saying this... too many carbs at all these things. We end up abandoning some of the meals and thereby missing the social parts of a rally because we are low-carbers.
That's sure the case with pot lucking. It's one of the reasons the unit is moving toward prepared meals for some rallys. There is no reason these meals cann't be very healthy and excellent. Me, I'm a high protein guy.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:09 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

Pie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
That's sure the case with pot lucking. It's one of the reasons the unit is moving toward prepared meals for some rallys. There is no reason these meals cann't be very healthy and excellent. Me, I'm a high protein guy.

Yay high protein!

On a high-carb, low-protein note, we take pies that we make and freeze ourselves, ready to bake, and bake them. Have also made fresh pies in the trailer.

Tom
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:19 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Yay high protein!

On a high-carb, low-protein note, we take pies that we make and freeze ourselves, ready to bake, and bake them. Have also made fresh pies in the trailer.

Tom
We keep all pie making items in our trailer! Apple peeler, flour, oil, salt, 3 or 4 pie pans..... It's fall now so folks will be getting fresh apple and pumpkin pie at our gatherings (we pick the pumpkin, cut in half and bake until the insides are ready to be pureed into pie filling - all using our Airstream oven).

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:27 PM   #66
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:

Shari

I've baked a couple of entrees in our oven, one for a forum rally, and Marie has also used the oven for baking. Macaroni and cheese casserole seems to be popular for pot luck. Has anybody besides me made a cheesecake in their Airstream for a potluck?
Old 09-27-2006, 08:51 PM   #67
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Oh man, this thread is making me hungry!! I miss the oven in our first Airstream it was a vintage so it had a real oven it was big too!! Baked some tasty cornbread, sweet potato casserole, biscuits, pizzas (real homemade ones), now its just a convection micro thing in our new trailer--longsuffering three beat sigh. Well guess its ok to reheat leftovers, but I broke down and bought a Coleman propane oven with a little window so I can really bake.

Yeah I hear ya Minnie's mate, I tell hubby to take lil boy fishing/walking so I can cook/bake/clean up in peace when we are campin... They seem to be ok with it.

Course Shari you know that coney dogs are a gourmet treat in D-Town!!
Old 09-27-2006, 10:36 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Sorry Steph, no hot dogs for me...coney or otherwise! Yuck!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:21 AM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
marlborough , Massachusetts
Gee I always thought the woman in that picture was Lisa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
Old 09-28-2006, 10:53 AM   #70
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
One other thing -- these meals seem to be preceded by prayer -- in the name of Jesus or of Christ.

I'm a Christian and an experienced preacher, a churchman and church trustee. However, I'm very uncomfortable with prayer in a public setting directed to one God. We shouldn't be imposing beliefs on the gathering of a WBCCI group. Lighten up the prayer, folks.

"Dear God: thank you for these people, these gifts, this food," something like that. Let's all be thankful together but also for our differences.

Tom
I don't have a problem with public prayer as long as it isn't for pious purposes. As a Christian I am sensitive that not everyone is also a Christian and agree that we shouldn't assume they are nor should we attempt to impose our religion on others.

We live in a diverse culture and I believe that we should be sensitive to others, however, America is a predominately Judeo-Christian society and I don't think the vast majority of Americans are offended by a generic prayer such as the eloquently simple one you offered above. It is not denominational, nor should it be offensive to Jews or Muslum. Jews and Christians worship the same God and Muslims claim that Alah is the same as Jahovah. This last one I question based on historical evidence to the contrary, but that is a discussion best not included in this forum.

So I think the blessing of fellowship and food should not be feared to offensive, but should be included in the potluck dinner function. Perhaps others would disagree and I would welcome opinions on this as I may be in the minority and not realize it.

Please let me know how most of you feel. If I should start a poll or seperate thread I can or if it isn't that big of a deal, I can let the subject die here.

WBCCI# 4821