View Poll Results: What does the average attendee like to eat for dinner at Rallies?
Roast beef, pork, or fish. Potato, Veg, Salad, and Desert 30 54.55%
Ham and Beans, Cole Slaw, and Desert 7 12.73%
Hamburger, Hot dogs, Macaroni Salad, and Desert 20 36.36%
Sandwiches, Chips, and Cookies 5 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2006, 12:43 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
e. none of the above

I have always enjoyed the variety that comes if you allow the hosts of each rally set and communicate the tone. Sometimes it'll be more casual with burgers & tube-steaks, other times it'll be BBQ cook-off, a potluck, hobo stew or chili-dump, roast pig, BYOMeat to grill or a dinner catered in or out at a restaurant.

Keeps things from always being the same and members/rallies from getting in a rut IMO. It lets the hosts step up and do what they want, everybody gets their turn and variety is the spice of life!

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:57 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Now that's camp food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear
Here's my recipe and picture of the creme brulee I did: I didn't have one of those mini blow torches, so I put the custard under the broiler for a minute.

Also added fresh blueberries on top..I've had it w/strawberries, raspberries, kiwis served at the restaurant.

That looks awesome! Did you make this for a rally?

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:29 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy_hollow
That looks awesome! Did you make this for a rally?
Hi Muddy,

No, I wanted to make the dessert after I got home from a restaurant my husband and I went to to celebrate our anniversary..
Old 09-26-2006, 02:41 PM   #46
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Uh Janet are you please coming to the women's rally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Maybe we're not your avereage wally type but we have been at rallies with steamed Artichokes for all, paella for 50, spit roasted lamb,hand made tortillas and other labor intensive foods. Cooking can be a great time to hang out a socialize.
Janet can you come to the women's rally and coordinate us for cooking and eating?? Now I read the Beverly Beach rally info and drool it sounds like such a cool menu. Oh why oh why is it so far from Michigan...
Paella, oh maybe its not that far...

What a nice thread. I love eating all the marvelous dishes at a potluck, I do like to send my husband up for seconds for me though After all these cooks worked hard. Of the two forum rallies we've been to the food has been awesome. And like Shari said, the variety is great.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:46 PM   #47
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear
Here's my recipe and picture of the creme brulee I did: I didn't have one of those mini blow torches, so I put the custard under the broiler for a minute.

Also added fresh blueberries on top..I've had it w/strawberries, raspberries, kiwis served at the restaurant.
I don't have one of those mini torches either...I use my Mapp Gas torch from the shop same one I use for sweating copper fitting together or silver soldering HVAC lines nothing like a multi purpose tool.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:05 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I don't have one of those mini torches either...I use my Mapp Gas torch from the shop same one I use for sweating copper fitting together or silver soldering HVAC lines nothing like a multi purpose tool.

Aaron
Hmm, maybe I'll go hunt around in my hubby's stuff in the garage ..he might have one of those!..I love having tools that are multi-use-able..
Old 09-26-2006, 03:31 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
On the road , again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy_hollow
question I wanted to throw out there, is what do people like to eat for dinner at rallies and how is it viewed?
I like to eat whatever the rally host has planned. Variety is the spice of life!
Old 09-26-2006, 04:11 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Muddy Hollow,
To answer your PM... (clean out your inbox it's full)

On Mexican Food:

My favorite Mexican Cookbooks are

Diana Kennedy The Cuisines of Mexico.
It is very well written and simple to follow. She is an American that has spent most of her life in Mexico and has written several cookbooks. The fun part is you learn a lot about the history behind Mexican cooking. Her bean and Mexican rice recipe is perfect. Follow it to a T and your friends will wonder how you learned to cook.
Another great resource is author Rick Bayliss he has written several must have Mexican cookbooks. This is a great starting point.
Happy eating and travels,
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:48 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Can I come too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin sista
Janet can you come to the women's rally and coordinate us for cooking and eating??
<snip>
And like Shari said, the variety is great.
Speaking of women's rallies & spice of life...before we had our Airstream, I would go tent-camping with a bunch of girls a couple of times a year. We called those campouts our "Gucci Campouts". Girls only and we took all the things our men said "you cant' take that camping!" Things like china, silver, crystal, linens and candlesticks - the whole nine yards! We ate at the picnic tables in rustic campgrounds with the 5 star restaurant menus - Mimosa's & waffles for breakfast and champagne, caviar, lobster thermadore, cheesecake for dinner. And then tucked ourselves in with our down comforters in our "Tent Majal" (huge tent - three rooms) which I still have.

I've suggested to this same group of friends, that we ought to do this now and I'll Bring Maxwell to make the preparations a little easier...but all our lives have gotten more complicated with age, maybe next year.

This past summer, another group of five girl-friends, all with Airstreams did manage to go out for a girls-only weekend out, which was wonderful as it was a first time w/o "the boys" for three of the women along. Great fun, but we didn't do the "Gucci-thing"...just martini's and miniture golf!

Shari
If it's worth doing, it's worth over-doing!
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 05:06 PM   #52
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Shari you are needed for the women's rally!!

Mimosas and waffles, ooh!!
Oh now see we need more of this sort of thing for the women's rally! I love the 'Gucci Campout' idea. How cool...it is the hardest thing scheduling though so people can get together.

As others have said in this thread, we are lucky with our Airstreams that we can do so much more than hot dogs and hamburgers, not to knock burgers and dogs, but it is fun to be able to do a lot more with the Airstream!!!
Old 09-26-2006, 05:48 PM   #53
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
We did do hot dogs at a recent impromtu rally.

Folks chipped in and brought dogs and a side dish.... it was interesting. We ended up with 3 kinds of hand made brats, several flavors of yuppie wursts including some with added apple, fennel and some notable smoked salmon wursts, foot long kosher dogs, as well as a selection of smoked link things that were made by someone named Franz.

Sides included tater salad made with yukon golds, spicy pickled asparagus spears, handmade kraut, fresh peach cobbler and some yummy lemon bars.

I guess even when it's "just hot dogs" the NW forums crowd does it up! And why not - after all, we need extra energy to tote all the heavy bottles of merlot needed to wash all that food down!

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:38 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
We generally like to have, meat veggies salad, hold the carbs please
Thank God for your saying this... too many carbs at all these things. We end up abandoning some of the meals and thereby missing the social parts of a rally because we are low-carbers.
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:46 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

One other thing -- these meals seem to be preceded by prayer -- in the name of Jesus or of Christ.

I'm a Christian and an experienced preacher, a churchman and church trustee. However, I'm very uncomfortable with prayer in a public setting directed to one God. We shouldn't be imposing beliefs on the gathering of a WBCCI group. Lighten up the prayer, folks.

"Dear God: thank you for these people, these gifts, this food," something like that. Let's all be thankful together but also for our differences.

Tom
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:50 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSTRK
Thank God for your saying this... too many carbs at all these things. We end up abandoning some of the meals and thereby missing the social parts of a rally because we are low-carbers.
We "try" to have a lo Carb appetizer as well for Happy hour. Some times it’s tough to be good eh? The wife is VERY creative and we do our own thing sometimes as well.
A favorite is a Stuffed Jalapeño pepper, Cream Cheese and ground pork stuffing wrapped in bacon.

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote