Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: What does the average attendee like to eat for dinner at Rallies?
Roast beef, pork, or fish. Potato, Veg, Salad, and Desert 30 54.55%
Ham and Beans, Cole Slaw, and Desert 7 12.73%
Hamburger, Hot dogs, Macaroni Salad, and Desert 20 36.36%
Sandwiches, Chips, and Cookies 5 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2006, 02:19 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Pelham , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy_hollow
Wally types now equals attendees... I've been corrected

I wanted to put this question out there because there are some nagging questions in my mind about food at rallies and why some have very strong opinions about food. Does the potato define us?????

Is it the food that some people get turned off at or is it the perceived pretense, or lack thereof, of the food that people get turned off at? One man's macaroni and cheese is another man's Macarone du Fromage. Same stuff? Cool with me either way....

It would seem that the numbers support the notion that we need a variety of food at rallies, which I think is the case today. Variety is GOOD! If you don't like the burgers bring your steak, if you don't like the steaks bring your burger. Just be there and enjoy the people around you. That's what it's all about.

Aren't there enough issues at work already?

Well said, Doug!
bobandcarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:54 PM   #22
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
I knew that Rally Food would be a hot topic. I intended to start a thread on this subject but was reluctant due to the fact it would receive many unnecessary negative comments. But to some people it is an important but a delicate issue.

The dilemma is that they don’t enjoy the quality of the food, don’t want to insult the host but would like raise the standards. Cost is usually not the issue. Quality, selection and care in food preparation are important factors. Part of the enjoyment of traveling is having at least one good meal at the end of the day.

We’ve been to some rallies where the pot luck and catered dinners were great and some where the pot luck contributions were based on the lowest common denominator. And one catered dinner was equivalent to grade school cafeteria food. I can honestly say I had better college and military food (institutional food), but that was because it was well-planned and prepared by a professional food service group that perform their act three or four times a day.

In some cases the rally host doesn’t have much control over the quality and service of the caterer when the event is planned weeks in advance via telephone or Email with someone in a distant town.

I guess if we are to exchange beneficial comments and suggestions on this topic it should be broken down into three sub topics, i.e., 1.) Breakfast, 2.) Pot Luck, and 3.) Catered dinners.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:08 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
marlborough , Massachusetts
I love all food (as my fellow NEU members know) and we have some really creative "cooks" in our group.

I love that our group is taking things to higher levels. I love quality and lots of thought. When I see our members working they seem to be having a blast creating their culinary delights! I know I enjoy eating them (not the members the food!)

Of course I am with M&M with a favorite item idea. ribs, ribs, ribs, beans, and leon's pie. Rumor has it that a bbq rally may be in the future? Over59 and Muddy_Hollow?

As for facilities, Muddy_Hollow along with Over59, M&M prepared the meal of the century in the pouring rain, under tents. Leg of lamb, roast pork, chicken, scallop potatoes, homemade applesauce, apple crisp with ice cream and a WARM custard sauce.

But in all fairness I enjoy the grill your own eat together idea too. We seem to come up with a theme and go from there.
Elaine L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:09 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
Oh wait, I also like the happy hour treats....Carla's pinwheels!
Old 09-25-2006, 03:22 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Dadgum! Y'all are all making me hungry. I might have to join the WBCCI just because of all the good FOOD.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:30 PM   #26
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Food is the universal gatherer...that and happy hour I am not to picky on what I eat, I would prefer it to be edible and not cause too much distress That being said, I enjoy cooking and eating, so I will take the time to make a different dish rather than the same old, same old.

Elaine L...you mentioned BbQ? Tarheel and I have talked about having a Barbeque carvan thru the Virginia and the Carolinas. Every stop would be at a different place

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:11 PM   #27
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy_hollow
Wally types now equals attendees... I've been corrected
I saw your thread starting to go South, and headed it off at the pass to keep it on topic, instead of drifting into what to call WBCCI members. It seems to have worked, at least so far.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:52 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
Thumbs up

Now that is a caravan that I would be interested in!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Food is the universal gatherer...that and happy hour I am not to picky on what I eat, I would prefer it to be edible and not cause too much distress That being said, I enjoy cooking and eating, so I will take the time to make a different dish rather than the same old, same old.

Elaine L...you mentioned BbQ? Tarheel and I have talked about having a Barbeque carvan thru the Virginia and the Carolinas. Every stop would be at a different place

Aaron
Old 09-25-2006, 05:22 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Bbq

Quote:

Aaron

Do you travel with a Smoker in tow (meat smoker that is)? We're planning an all night, slow roast bbq next fall.... I'm sure we could squeeze in a couple extra, squeezing out will definitely be the issue......

We all love to eat to good food, but it's like that old saying "It's not the destination, it's the journey". That's what I love about cooking at rallies, the journey to the meal. By the time dinner comes, I'm not hungry... I've already ate mine during the course of the cooking.

I like the point raised about cost. Cost is not the issue, I can buy good ingrediants for roughly the same cost as other meal types. The up charge for better meals is absorbed in the volume of people. This past weekend included, one full breakfast, one stellar dinner, one continental breakfast, and two nights camping for roughly $70..... I spent more on gas getting there and back! You cannot put a dollar amount on the time that the volenteers put into making the meals so very nice.

It's all about the people and not the food.

Doug

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:01 PM   #30
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Doug,
I don't cook barbeque there are many more talented people than me for that. I do yeast breads, a fair amount of grilling some unusal vegetable dishes...and I eat!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 09-25-2006, 06:13 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Quote:
Doug,
I don't cook barbeque there are many more talented people than me for that. I do yeast breads, a fair amount of grilling some unusal vegetable dishes...and I eat!

Aaron
Hi Aaron,

Well, I'm signed up for my first Rally at NorCal..it's amazing to read this thread, gives me a perspective of what kinds of ideas about food and dining that goes on in these rallies!..I've been involved in a lot of fundraising/event planning as far as preparing, and serving folks at my husband's non-profit organization!..this rally thing sounds like it could be as simple or as complex as folks want, I guess!..

I hope the bottom line of all of this is the experience for me to meet and greet members who've been on the different threads that I've participated in and enjoy.

Btw, I did get around to trying out a recipe for that creme brulee..gosh, it was rich, rich, rich!..recipe turned out wonderful, but not something I'd make every nite!..I'll take cream puffs loaded w/whipped cream instead..
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:32 PM   #32
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
codybear,
Glad the Creme de Brule turned out well, it is definitely a rich dish if done right. My wife loves fresh creme horns...but only gets them when I am home for more than a week or flies into Toronto apparently there is an old fashioned bakery right across the street from the hotel where she stays

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 09-25-2006, 08:57 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Quote:
codybear,
Glad the Creme de Brule turned out well, it is definitely a rich dish if done right. My wife loves fresh creme horns...but only gets them when I am home for more than a week or flies into Toronto apparently there is an old fashioned bakery right across the street from the hotel where she stays

Aaron
Never had creme horns..sounds rich too!..
Old 09-25-2006, 09:13 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
You only get so many meals, don't waste any....
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:21 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
Creme de Brule???? did someone say???

Alright...just 'STOP' right here now...I have to catch up before I lose this thread. I tried searching for the recipe of this famous Creme de Brule...can you link me to it? or share it? Thanks.... Debs

https://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:46 AM   #36
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babeebloos
Alright...just 'STOP' right here now...I have to catch up before I lose this thread. I tried searching for the recipe of this famous Creme de Brule...can you link me to it? or share it? Thanks.... Debs
Try this one my recipe is a bit different but hers is good too

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 09-26-2006, 04:46 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
We're going camping Columbus Day holiday weekend, as we do every year. I always grill Bratwursts marinaded in beer, placed on a bun with spicy mustard and saurerkraut. We also have German Potato Salad and lots of beer. I can't wait!
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:39 AM   #38
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Try this one my recipe is a bit different but hers is good too

Aaron
It is way different that my recipe...actually, it is mostly different than my technique. I stir the cream over low heat for about 15 minutes stirring constantly and use a stand mixer to wisk the egg yokes and sugar and slowly pour the thickened cream into the eggs while the whisk is going full speed and then finish as she describes and I get an extremely light and fluffy custard. My wife will eat it every time I make it...hummm, maybe it is time to experiment with the microwave convection oven in the Airstream.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:17 AM   #39

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I also like the "tube steak" approach. There are hot dogs available in virtually any configuration from the kind that dyes the bun red (my personal favorite) to tofu dogs for those with more refined tastes. They are easy to store and cook and can be easily rinsed-off if dropped on the ground. Throw in some beans and chips and you have a meal fit for a king.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:38 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Here's my recipe and picture of the creme brulee I did: I didn't have one of those mini blow torches, so I put the custard under the broiler for a minute.

Also added fresh blueberries on top..I've had it w/strawberries, raspberries, kiwis served at the restaurant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7603.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	26299  
Attached Files
File Type: doc Crème Brulee Recipe.doc (66.5 KB, 334 views)