Old 01-13-2007, 06:17 PM   #1
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Post Webcasting help!

OK you Airstream geeks, I'm thinking that it could be real fun to webcast rallys, campouts, AS forum get togethers, etc, etc.

So, I'm wondering, what would it take in equipment and software to put on a webcast/cam.

I know there are so many talented forum members out there, and I'm sure there must be someone with the expertise I lack in this area.

Heck, we could start webcasting shell off restorations and everything

OK, not everything

To start, I have a Verizon broadband card and a laptop

So, I ask you, what would I need to put on a live webcast.

Michael

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:33 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The folks at Intl last year did fine job of blogging the going's on there. I'm sure more coverage would be welcome though, as there is so much going on at once, everyone's experience is different. I know I enjoyed the coverage quite a bit, as I still do not understand what people do there for a week! It's till not clear, but I enjoyed trying to find out (from a safe distance)!

What sort of webcasting do you want to do? Podcasts? Blogging? Live streaming video of the big events?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:37 PM   #3
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Lots of CPU power or money....

If you have a high enough bandwidth connection at the location and enough computer power you can do it yourself using freely available software on the net.

You can use a "pay for" service to do the same thing for you and all you have to do is provide the feed.

I have analyzed this problem a little and I have come to the conclusion that the most efficient way to deal with this is to do exactly what we have done at SaveWally with the IBT meeting at Salem - record it and post the MP3 files on the web fro others to download. My guess is that there will not really be enough interest in the live audio feed to make it worth while or cost effective to do a "pay for" feed and there will probably be enough interest to make a single computer not big enough to handle the few dozen or so connections that may come in.

If you want to play with yourself Apple Quicktime makes a broadcaster that you can download and use to make your own streaming setup. That will get you started for a dozen or so connections.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Mac or PC. Mac Easy. PC well a little harder.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
MAC Very Easy! I set up a little LAN server at work and everybody thought it was funny to hear the delay (there is always a little delay). Used Quicktime Broadcaster and darwin Streaming Server (although Quicktime will do the broadcasting alone).
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 01-14-2007, 05:30 AM   #6
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Smile!

Could I just hook a webcam up to my laptop and have it feed to my websight (with some software)?

Michael
Old 01-14-2007, 07:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Yes, do some searching on the web.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:48 AM   #8
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Well, You could run your camera but I don't think your host has the provisions to deal with live streaming. Unlike just plain old File Serving which a web server does, streaming audio/video takes up CPU power. Web hosts have tons of storage for web pages (terabytes per server) but little CPU power because it only takes a little CPU power to hand out a web page when requested. Streaming live audio/video is the opposite. You don't need and storage space to speak of (unless you are streaming audio/video on demand) but you do need a certain percentage of CPU power for EACH connection to receive that live audio/video.

Here is a simple synopsis of how it works:
1. Your live video/audio source is created and "Broadcast" to a server. (Quicktime Broadcaster will perform this basic function for you) If you are only serving a few connections then the CPU power of your computer will be enough to handle that. If it is more than about a dozen connections then your computer will probably be quickly overloaded.
2. The Broadcast software (like Quicktime Broadcaster) sends the audio/video to a server to be rebroadcast (relayed) to other servers where they are also relayed OR sent out to the public.

In any case, for each connection to receive that live audio/video you need to provide some CPU power to dish it out. Google "streaming live video" and see what I mean. You can't just download some software and serve out a thousand connections, that isn't gonna happen (besides, I am sure your ISP would quickly clamp down your bandwidth if you tried to do that). But don't take my word for it. Get Quicktime Broadcaster or suitable software and read the help files on it. I find help files can be quite illuminating!
Old 01-14-2007, 07:11 PM   #9
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Thanks Jim and Buttercup, I'll look into it!

Michael