Old 03-05-2008, 11:12 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikjware
Will we actually go into the DC area as part of this rally. My girlfriend wants to see the blossoms. Or if the group doesn't go, I'm sure we could unhook and go in and see some sights, right? Thanks!
Kelly and I will be taking the kids into DC on the subway. Apparently the station is a short ride from the rally site. In DC there a several tour buses companies that run the circuit and charge a fare that is good for as many on/offs as you care to make in a day. Sounds like a great way to see DC. Hope to see you there.

http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
It's pretty near official

I promised myself, and Rideair when I joined the WDCU, that as soon as I got a 1/2 ton TV and replaced the Tradewind's beloved but slightly inadequate whitewalls I'd come rally with y'all. I'm out of excuses so I'm moving out of my Southern Comfort zone and heading up to the 2008 Cherry Blossom to see what the fuss is about.

Since Maryland is still below the Mason Dixon Line, I guess I'm not really leaving the South. Looking forward to meeting you folks.

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:13 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

I know you won't be disappointed. CBR was our first rally with WBCCI. Great people, great times. Have a safe trip, and hope to see you there.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:45 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Shipping

Anyone coming to CBR perhaps via Old Hickory, TN. I am in need of getting two dinnette seats (no table) from there to CBR. Just thought I'd check it out.
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I just installed a new converter and battery. My camper is now operational again! All I have to do before CBR is de-winterize, clean, and load supplies.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:53 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Going to try to make it

Thanks, Pete, you roped us in to this rally. The trailer is in a state (Rick fell through the belly pan Friday night, yikes!) but we are getting it back together. We're going to work as hard as we can to get roadworthy over the next three weekends. I'm looking forward to catching up with everyone and enjoying a bit of down time.

Frank asked if I could do photos for the caravan through DC. That sounds great, but the itinerary sounds like a bit of a zig zag. I would suggest meeting somewhere near the Beltway convenient to traffic coming from North or West of the city (if nowhere else, Tyson's Corner has parking lots where folk could meet near both Rt. 66 and rt 495). Then you could travel West on 66 to DC, tour around, head out to the George Washington Parkway (super scenic views over the Potomac towards the monuments) all the way to Mt. Vernon. Then you could head directly south to the Beltway and the farm.

One consideration...visitor parking at Mt. Vernon may get a bit dicey with multiple trailers. There are, however, some alternative parking places that might become accessible with advanced notice. I'm willing to talk with them, if anyone wants, however, I'd need an ETA. Any thoughts?

Can't wait to see you all...can't wait to get this on the road (see my blog for the gory details)!

Best,

Mary
Old 03-17-2008, 03:12 AM   #49
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Yeh, Mary and Rick are coming!!!! "the Caravan" is un official and un WBCCI sponsored. It is a caravan of a few people that want an excuse to tow their babies around the DC area. To be totally honest, it is really an excuse for Rob Baker and I to earn a few water decals for our door with in a door. The plan for this un official caravan is to meet at Great Falls NP in Virginia around 10 am. The plan is to see the awesome spectacle of nature, visit, and launch from there. Next we will be going around downtown a wee bit, then back out the GW Parkway to Mt Vernon. See the house and grounds, maybe eat some lunch, visit more, hopefully laugh a lot, then head out for the farm. The most important aspect of the un official caravan is to get to the farm with enough time remaining to set up and still make it to happy hour.
Please no more falling through floors....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:27 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Thumbs up This will really start the rally on a high note!

Great Falls is an awesome place! I know we'd discussed it earlier. Only concern (something I hadn't even considered earlier) is that it is a National Park fee area. Entry is $5, though well worth it...the scenery is stunningly beautiful (and surprising in such a suburban location).

Is that problematic?

I'm going to take the initiative and call Mt. Vernon about parking. In my experience, that museum is one of the most friendliest ones out there--and their website says they have an RV parking location. They have a brand new visitor's center that just opened last summer--it is a fantastic place to bring kids. NB--there's also a fee to get in there, too ($13 adults, $6 kids 6-12, free for kids 5 and under). However, this gives access to the whole estate, which is huge. In addition to the mansion, there are gardens, interactive exhibits and films in the visitors center, a living history farm and a trail where scouts can earn badges/pins. For a little extra (time and money), you could also take a boat ride or visit George's distillery operation.

BTW--I see your throwdown is on the schedule (or will it be a smackdown???)! Wow. I think the hosts have really done an awesome job, there are so many great activities planned. A highlight for me is that Pete's band, Lance Manley, is playing. They are pretty famous in Richmond for their rocking blues...
Old 03-18-2008, 03:37 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Obtw

Congrats, Frank--I just noticed that was your 500th post. That makes you a rivet master, iirc!

BTW--the early flowers are just starting to bloom here (star magnolias, daffodils, spring camelias, etc.), so it's looking good for seeing real cherry blossoms at the time of the rally!
Old 03-18-2008, 10:08 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Fees

The fees are not problematic in my mind.. even though we'll only be there for a short while... I can say the SOTR has been there and rate a decal on the door. I've just got to get my plumbing finished, and being here in Charleston, SC for the week is not helping any.
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1992 25' Airstream 250
anywhere , New Jersey
We will be at the CBR too. Can't wait!

Miss you guys!

So does anyone want to predict the weather?
Old 03-18-2008, 04:19 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
You guys are making me homesick - I spent most of my life in DC before moving westward! Spring was my favorite time there when everything was in bloom.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:32 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonia
So does anyone want to predict the weather?
I think we had enough rain last year, so I'm predicting a beautiful weekend with highs in the 70s!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:26 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Follow Up with Mt. Vernon

I called Mt. Vernon and they have spaces for RV parking in the most distant river side parking lot. Hopefully, there won't be too many school groups that day, since the busses also park there.

One question...Does anyone know how cell coverage is at the Roger's farm? I'm going to have to bring my laptop and do work--which I can do over the internet (connected through my cell). Rob--I think I recall you IMing from your cell phone at the CBR in 2005...any recollection if it was a strong signal?

Thanks,

Mary