Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Region 4 Rally - White Water Rafting

It is time to announce the upcoming WBCCI Region 4 Rally:

Dates: May 20 - 24, 2009 (can arrive after noon on May18 at no extra cost)

Activites: Many activities are planned, but some highlights include:

- A tour of the Greenbriar Bunker facility that was created to house the Congress and Senate in time of war. It was "active" from the early 1960's until being decommissioned in the early 1990's.

- An optional white water rafting trip on the Lower New River. This will be an "adventure class" (age 12 & up) half day trip, 2-3 hours on the water, with bus transportation. Not too extreme, but it should be enjoyable to first timers and experienced rafters alike. Details are being finalized, but the cost is likely to be about $75-$80 per person.

- A talk by Larry Huttle of Airstream.

More information can be had on the WBCCI Region 4 web site here:
http://region4.wbcci.net/region-4-ra...ssage-from-jj/
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
I will add that since I am the one organizing the White Water Rafting Trip, I will be posting more details about that trip here as they become finalized.

Advance registration for the Rafting Trip will be required and I need to get an estimate of the number of interested people. Costs are estimated to be $75-$80 per person, and prepayment will be required. The trip will run rain or shine, because you are going to get wet anyway, but wetsuits will be available to rent at an additional cost if you desire (est. $10 to $15).

Registration will close and payment will be required on or about May 8th. After that date, a waiting list will be maintained in case of cancellations or other openings.

When the full details are finalized, I will be putting a flier together with all of the pertinent information and I will post that flier here. Expect it before the end of this month.

But you need not wait until then to signal your interest or request more information. Please contact me to request more information or to let me know of your possible interest in participating. You need not be ready to participate to contact me - I'd even like to know about "maybe's".
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 03-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Here is a link to the Region 4 Rally Posting here on the AirForums Rally Calendar:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=519&day=2009-5-19&c=1
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 03-31-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Here is the Flier!!!

Attached is the flier for the Region 4 Rally White Water Rafting Trip.

Here are some the details:
Quote:
2009 WBCCI Region 4 Rally
White Water Rafting Trip

Join us as the 2009 Region 4 Rally adds a new optional activity:
White Water Rafting on the Lower New River!

We are planning a trip suitable for first-timers and experienced rafters alike. We will be on the water for 2 to 3 hours, enough to get a taste of rafting, but not long enough to tire you out. Rapids will range from Class II to Class IV+ (on a scale of I to VI). We will also float under the famous New River Gorge Bridge! The trip will run rain or shine, because you are going to get wet anyway. After we get off the water, there will be showers and changing rooms to allow you to get out of your wet clothes. Box Lunches will be provided.
Who: Anyone ages 12 to 70+
What: Lower New River Half Day Express white water rafting trip
Where: North American River Runners, Hico, WV (www.narr.com)
When: The morning of Friday, May 22nd, 2009
Why: Because it’s Fun!!!
How: A bus will transport us to and from the rafting site
How Much: $80 per person (plus optional wetsuit rental, if desired)

Wetsuits will be available to rent at check-in, if you desire. Partial suits will be $10 and full suits will be $15. Wetsuit recommendation will depend upon the weather on the day of the trip, but are a personal choice.

Pre-Registration and Pre-Payment are required for this event.
Registration & Payment Deadline: Friday, May 8th, 2009
(After this date we will put you on a waiting list in case of cancellations or additional spots opening up.)

To register for this activity or request additional information, please contact:
Joe Peplinski, WBCCI #5533
(see flier for contact details)

Payment will need to be made directly to NARR at 800-950-2585, ext. 309 or ask for Natalie.
(Credit Cards are preferred, but checks can also be mailed in if desired.)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2009 Region 4 Rally White Water Rafting Flier.pdf (192.3 KB, 119 views)
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 04-08-2009, 05:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Just wanted to let everyone know things are progressing. A few people have signed up so far, but there's room for many more.

If you're interested, I'd like to hear from you as soon as possible, even if it's just a "maybe". Remember, you have until May 8th to actually make your payment. Until then there's nothing lost if you later change your mind.

Go Region 4!
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 04-17-2009, 05:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Come on people - Where's your sense of adventure? I hoped we'd get some action in this thread, but I feel like I'm talking to a wall.

Anyway, I am happy top report that the White Water Rafting Trip has now met it's minimum sign up requirement to qualify for bus transportation, so it's an official "go". But there's still room for many more, so please indicate if you are even slightly interested. Thanks.

Also, the White Water Rafting Flier is now posted on the Region 4 Web Site here (click on the raft photo): Region 4 » Whitewater

And the latest Region 4 Newsletter provides more information about other Region 4 Rally activities and it is posted here:
Region 4 » Region 4 Newsletter
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 04-27-2009, 09:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Another Region 4 White Water Rafting Trip Update

The Region 4 White Water Rafting Trip is moving ahead! Over the weekend Lorrie and I pulled our 1955 Airstream to a Rally and signed up one or two more people for the raft trip. Then I heard back by phone that 2 other couples are getting ready to submit their payment. And then I heard that the rafting trip was also talked up at another Rally this weekend and at least one couple there was ready to sign up, with others talking about it. As it now stands I have about a dozen people confirmed or strongly interested.

This is great, because we are now half way toward filling up a second boat! But I want to emphasize there is no maximum limit. If others are interested, there is still room. We can add a 3rd boat (or more) if necessary. Continue to talk it up. The registration and payment deadline remains May 8th, but IF we end up with a partial boat full, we MAY even be able to add a few people even past that date. But after May 8th there are no guarantees, so it's best to reserve your spot before that date.

I also want to let you know, that NARR is now going to include the wet suits at no extra cost for anyone that wants one! The total will therefore be $80/person, for rafting, bus, box lunch, and optional wet suit.

And for those that prefer to pay by check, all you need to do is mail a check made out to "North American River Runners" and referencing our reservation number of "26711" to:

North American River Runners
P.O. Box 81
Hico, WV 25854

You can also mention "WBCCI" on the check if you want, but the reservation number is all that you need.

Likewise, if you wish to phone in a credit card number as your payment, you can talk to anyone at NARR (800-950-2585) and just mention that you are part of the group under reservation number "26711".

Some time in the next week or so I will put together and send out a flier to be sent to those that have already signed up talking about what to wear, what to bring, what not to bring, etc.

To all who have already signed up - Thanks. To any others who are thinking about it, it's not too late. We'll make room for you. See you there.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 04-27-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
I wish I could go! Ill be out of the state the weekend before, and I think 2 weekends in a row would get me into trouble!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Joe,
This looks like a great time, and you have done a good job at putting it together. I don't want you think it is going un noticed!! The rafting idea draws me in but unfortunately that weekend falls between our Pokagon State park weekend, and our trip to see Cinderella's Castle in Orlando (my girls could care less about the mouse they just want to go to the Castle). We were Wbcci last year, and due to loosing my job the day before I was going to write the check for this year we chose to wait till I find work. I did discover last year ( we signed up for Wbcci to gather info for the next year) that we must be the exception to the rule when it comes to planning summer! We tend to book everything as soon as we can (six months out for state parks) and that leaves us missing out on the Wbcci stuff and the forums stuff. (these seem to be booked shortly before an event) If this weekend goes over well will you be setting it up again for 2010?
Thanks and keep up the good work
MIKE
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by memgrove2000 View Post
Joe,
This looks like a great time, and you have done a good job at putting it together. I don't want you think it is going un noticed!! The rafting idea draws me in but unfortunately that weekend falls between our Pokagon State park weekend, and our trip to see Cinderella's Castle in Orlando (my girls could care less about the mouse they just want to go to the Castle). We were Wbcci last year, and due to loosing my job the day before I was going to write the check for this year we chose to wait till I find work. I did discover last year ( we signed up for Wbcci to gather info for the next year) that we must be the exception to the rule when it comes to planning summer! We tend to book everything as soon as we can (six months out for state parks) and that leaves us missing out on the Wbcci stuff and the forums stuff. (these seem to be booked shortly before an event) If this weekend goes over well will you be setting it up again for 2010?
Thanks and keep up the good work
MIKE
Mike,
I understand conflicts and priorities. There is always more that interests us inside and outside WBCCI than Lorrie and I have time to do. Although we usually tend to keep our options open and decide late what we want to do. Coordinating this trip goes against those tendencies.

I am still hoping that my promotion for the Region 4 Rally and especially the White Water Rafting Trip here on AirForums brings in some extra people. I have heard that the White Water trip may be having that effect, but due to "advertising" in other places, not here . . . at least so far. But there's still time, so I'll hope some interest yet develops from AirForums.

As for next year, who knows. When I heard this years Region 4 Rally was going to be in West Virginia, it seemed like a natural fit to propose and try to coordinate a White Water Trip, so I did it. I have no idea where the Region 4 Rally will be next year, but it's likely not WV. It's too early for me to decide if we'll be attending next years Region 4 Rally, let alone think about coordinating an event meant to make things more interesting to a new (younger) demographic. It may depend upon the dates and location. At some point, I think I might like to promote a Vintage Airstream event within Region 4, either as part of the Region 4 Rally, or as a stand alone event, but that's for another year, maybe next year, maybe further out.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 05-01-2009, 07:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
I created a Region 4 Rally Icon to get this rally listed in the left margin on the AirForums main page. I hope someone can get it posted there because I do not know how. Thanks. (Janet , are you listening?)
Attached Images

WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 05-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Time for another Region 4 Rally Update!

The preliminary Region 4 Rally Program is posted on the Region 4 Web Site here (click on the eagle to see it):
Region 4 » 2009 LEWISBURG REGION 4 RALLY PROGRAM

People continue to sign up for the White Water Rafting Trip. We have enough people signed up to fill two rafts and are now starting on the third raft. But there's still room if you want to join us (and we can add a 4th raft if there is demand).

And, since we now have a minimum of two rafts accounted for, we have removed the May 8th sign up and payment deadline. I hope to have a few spots open for last minute sign up when people arrive at the Rally on 5/19 or 5/20. But I still recommend signing up early to guarantee yourself a spot.

I've attached an updated Rafting Trip Flier that notes that Wet Suits are now included in the $80/person price and that there no longer is a May 8th deadline to sign up.

Spread the word! Hope to see some of you there! It's only about 2 weeks away!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Updated Region 4 White Water Rafting Flier.pdf (192.8 KB, 150 views)
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 05-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #13
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
What a neat rally idea! Im on the wrong side of the country to be able to attend, but I am sure it will be a hoot! Remember to post lots of pics.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:48 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quick Update:
And possibly my last update before the Rally since we leave to start heading to the Region 4 Rally in a couple days.

The Region 4 Rally has well over 100 rigs signed up (not sure the exact count). The White Water Rafting Trip has two rafts full. Both still have openings if you want to attend.

We'll now be taking a final count for the Friday May 22nd White Water Rafting Trip on Wednesday May 20th or possibly Thursday May 21st.

It's not to late to sign up for the Rally or the Raft Trip! Or just show up unannounced! We'll make room.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768