Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2003, 09:38 AM   #1
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Post WBCCI International rally

With all of the new members on the forum and many who have never attended an Internaltional Rally I thought I would start a thread on things to do at the International.

There are always the horror stories regarding rain, heat, dust, locusts, and wind. Those can be another thread...........

I want to know, and others do too, what you did at the rally that was fun, interesting, or informative (did you learn someting new?)
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 10:49 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Thumbs up WBCCI International rally

There are so many fun and interesting things to do at an International Rally that it's hard to know where to begin. I will start as if this were a first International experience.

1. Don't overlook possible parking considerations. You often have the opportunity of parking with your local Unit. Other options include parking with a group that you Caravan in with. Another option is parking with one of the Intra-Clubs to which you belong - - examples include Free Wheelers, Vintage Airstream Club as well as the other intra-clubs (I belong to both the Free Wheelers and VAC so know that both of these groups have assigned parking dates where their members Caravan in together and are parked together).

2. Another must attend is the New Members Orientation workshop. This workshop is offered at every International and allows you to learn a tremendous amount about the WBCCI and its events.

3. The opening ceremony is an activity that is a Must Attend on my list. It is an evening of good entertainment. One of the highlights is the presentation of the flags. Often it is this event that sets the stage for the balance of the Rally.

4. The evening programs. Each evening there is a program having a unique theme. Recently, the Rallys have had musical programs that emphasize music of all eras - - each was thoroughly enjoyable.

5. The Teen Queen Pageant is another program worth attending. The younger generations shines on this evening.

6. The Flea Market is a Must Attend especially if you have a Vintage coach or motorhome. This event takes place in a large hall, and there are all kinds of Airstream realated and RV related products available - - both old and new.

7. The Vendor area is always a good stopping point. There are often products available at very good prices; and it is often possible to get good deals on installed packages on some of these products. I purchased my Fantastic Vent fans as well as my Solar system at an International Rally where the installation was handled as well.

8. If you arrive early enough, there are usually some fantastic business and industry tours available. These tend to fill up quickly, but are well worth the time if you can get singed-up.

9. During the day there are seminars and workshops of all kinds. One that I would recommend is the Caravan Leader Training. Even if you aren't interested in leading a Caravan, it helps immensely in developing an understanding of how carvans and rallys operate. Each of the Intra-Clubs will also have a meeting during these daily session; and most will also have at least one specialized workshop/seminar for its members as well as the membership in general.

10. The Ice Cream Social that is usually hoste by Airstream is another Must Attend. The Ice Cream Social is usually at the Airstream Vendors tent. Depending upon the Rally, the Airstream tent has been either near the auditorium or in a central point on the Rally grounds. Airstream also offers a large selection of parts and accessories for sale at their tent; and emergency repairs are offered through much of the Rally time - - at least at most of the Internationals that I have attended.

11. Ice Cream is a very popular treat at the International. There is usually an Ice Cream vendor in the main hall; and if you listen carefully, you'll be able to get the inside track on the best places to find the best ice cream locally.

12. With most Units as well as most of the Intra-Clubs, you will find that there are frequent if not daily activities on the Rally grounds. With both the VAC and Free Wheelers, there are "Four o'Clocks" where the membeship gathers at one of the members' trailers to discuss the events of the day and discuss plans for the evening as well as the next day.

13. There are also usually region and state activities as well. Most of these will be centered around a meal. This varies, and can include anything from a breakfast to a full dinner. These events offer a means of getting better acquainted with both the leadership and members of your state or region. The food often has a regional flair which makes it a must on my list.

14. Often, you will also find that there are sight-seeing tours available. Sometimes these are commercially available through Gray Line Tours or similar organizations. In some cases these tours are "Suburban Caravans" where there is a subruban carpool caravan with a leader communicating with the following vehicles via CB guiding the expedition. In other cases there have been written scripted tours available or guided tours via audio cassette. These aren't necessarily WBCCI sponsored; but are something that you can learn about by "keeping an ear to the ground' so-to-speak.

Needless to say, I have enjoyed every International that I have attended. Despite my distate for heat and humidity, I have always parked at the Rally Ground with its limited electric thus no air conditioning. There are so many activities to keep one away from the RV during the day and early evening hours that not having air conditioning isn't usually a huge hinderance.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 09:07 AM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
based on my knowledge of the area, I wouldn't worry too much about the need for A/C in Burlington, VT. Sure, you "might" need it; they can get some hot weather....but except for the very occasional heat wave, summers in northern VT are very comfortable.

I wish there was a web-site w/ more info about this rally. I'd love to at least "check it out"...wont' be able to spend the whole week. also, there's no way to get the wife to agree to go along if there's no "full hookup".
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 09:28 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by chuck
I wish there was a web-site w/ more info about this rally. I'd love to at least "check it out"...wont' be able to spend the whole week. also, there's no way to get the wife to agree to go along if there's no "full hookup".
Chuck, I'm assuming that you have already checked out the WBCCI web site? www.wbcci.org

I know quite a few of our local unit's members go to private campgrounds instead of the International site. Their reasons pretty much center on having full hookups. Unfortunately at this late date your chance of a full hookup site in the local area is probably nill. I know our unit president told me that he got the last full hookup site available at the campground he is staying at and he reserved almost a year in advance.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 12:09 PM   #5
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
If there's any information about the rally on that website, I sure as heck couldn't find it. A passing mention of the date...certainly nothing specific. I did find this nifty graphic, though:

You know, I just thought of something: I have a cousin that lives not too far from Burlington, and there's been talk of going to visit...perhaps I can work something out there....
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 08:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Local host

I've been reading about the upcoming International rally with interest. I'm a newbie to this forum, and an Airstream wanna-be who would like to visit the rally and meet with some Airstreamers.

Let me make an offer to any of you who might be coming in July to Vermont. I was a bike tour leader (for seven years) for the Boston Ski and Sports Club. If anyone attending the rally wants to bring their bike and explore a little of the local area that way, email me and let's see if we can get a nice easy group tour going!

Vermont is a great place to cycle, if you know where to go. To avoid climbing mountains, we can cycle on the nearby islands in the Lake (accessible by road), or head over to Stowe to try the 5-mile recreation trail. There's also some nice pretty cycling down by the lake in Burlington (an 8-mile paved rail trail), and further south near the Basin Harbor Resort.

If there's interest, I'd like to limit the tour to 25 people. The trip would be geared to people with moderate cycling ability, so a relative flat terrain and no more than 25-30 miles, with shorter options available. If you want something easier or tougher I can suggest routes for you.

Why am I suggesting this? My "ulterior motive" is strictly to meet some new friends, and get a tour of a few Airstreams. Perhaps this will help encourage our purchase of an Airstream later this year!

Anyway, email me if interested, and if there's a lot of discussion on the idea I'll start a new thread.

-- Rich
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 08:26 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
WBCCI International rally

Greetings Rich!

If you are in the area of the Rally for the Vintage Airstream Club Open House, the public is always invited to attend. I haven't heard what the date will be this year, but it is typically either on Saturday or Sunday during the Rally in the early afternoon hours. Most of the members parked in the VAC section (usually on the main rally grounds) have their coaches open for this event. You will find "The Long, Long, Trailer" playing on the VCR in my coach - - probably the '78 Minuet being towed by the '75 Cadillac.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 07:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Love to see those Airstreams!

Thanks for the reply.

I was fortunate to be at the Shelburne Museum last summer when the Tin Can Tourists visited and opened their (mostly) Airstreams to the public. It was an amazingly helpful event because we got to see how people actually use their trailers.

You can read the brochures, visit the dealers, check the website, and browse the forums, but there's no substitute for talking to the owners. I'll see you at the VAC open house!

--Rich
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 07:03 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Vermont Rally

My trailer turns 2 May 2. I retired last day of April 2001, waited one day to recover from the party and picked up my new Safari.
Since then we have been to 7 rallies and 1 caravan and my wife and I are looking forward to the Northern Illinois Caravan to Vermont leaving June 10.
I enjoy the Ham Radio Club, WBCCI-ARC. We meet several times on the radio a day and it is nice to put faces on the voices with Hams for all over the country.
One of the nicest things about the rallies is that you can get involved with everything or nothing. You can just hang out and look at all the Airstream which is quite a site or pick and choose from seminars, shows what ever. I think some people go there to eat. They eat all day long, the differant banquets on and off campus are certainly are a high lite for many. I am 53, like to Kayak and run several times a week so quite often stay away from all the food. But that is what is nice, want to do this or that, you pick. Everything or nothing. Great time. Always leave relaxed and with a good fealing from meeting such nice people.
I guess you are what you hang around with.

2001 Safari 27 rear queen
awnings all around & 150w solar
Web Page: https://w9det.bizland.com
w9det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 07:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
My wife and I were discussing these type events last night. She spent a bunch of time going through the WBCCI, VAC, Airstream.com, Vintage Airstream sites last night looking at Ralley photos. We deffinatly want to hit a few events once we get done with repairs.

Our Shakedown run we want to go to the Top of Georgia park and hopefully catch a weekend where a small local event is happening and meet a few people.

I run a Repair shop for Cingular and have run into a couple people from the local unit that have come by for repairs. Super nice folks and the one Gentleman left me his name and number and is going to lend me his Air over Hydraulic Rivit gun when I get to that point. I know those are not cheap and that's awfully nice of him to offer.

If the folks at these events are half as nice as the ones here and the couple I have met I think we are really going to have a great time. We are looking forward to getting involved.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:47 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

More Vermont

Have not been to the top of Georgia but have heard from numerous people it is worth the trip. Coming back from the Sarasota Rally in Feb. we went through Chatanuga to get to Chicago.
I also enjoy the seminars on how to fix the trailer, appliences whatever.

2001 Safari 27 rear queen
awnings all around & 150w solar
Web Page: https://w9det.bizland.com
w9det is offline   Reply With Quote