Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2016, 12:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
WBCCI: Greenhorn Boondocking Events

Why not?

Not everyone is interested in what I call a "domestic camping experience" with all of the amenities found at home. Myself, especially need to travel outside the normal activities of RV Parks and Rally environments on manicured lawns, concrete slabs and asphalt.

There IS talent within the WBCCI that could expand its interests to include those, who are new to trailering, to Base Camping and Off the Grid camping. Many of these individuals have the interest, but no organized events by a National organization to teach and instruct.

The USA and Canada could be divided into regions. Each having their own distinct differences what is available among Public and Private Land. The Western USA and Canada have unlimited opportunities for camp sites within Public Lands: BLM, National Forests and State Lands. Canadian Federal Lands must also be immense.

These events would be directed towards navigating and finding on a map places to camp and how to. It cannot be fully understood in text, but does requires actual experience.

IF anyone within the WBCCI has a similar vision... there has to be a way to integrate and provide options to current and future members to have a purpose, not already provided at Rallies.

The WBCCI has already been looking into Base Camping and Off the Grid within Boondocking. With the new "Entry Airstreams" being discussed by rumor alone... the WBCCI needs to look at the UNDER 50 year old owner's idea of other Airstream Trailer uses that could excite younger families possibly to enter the Airstream market wanting a purpose. Eventually these Airstream Owners will be the future Base Camp and Off the Grid campers needing a larger trailer and... it may as well be within the Airstream Family.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
The WBCCI is already divided into regions. No need to redefine the wheel.

A simple initiative to put into place a new interclub for boondocking would seem to be a good tool to accomplish what you are talking about.

It could be run much like the Vintage Airstream Club. The idea would not be embraced by probably 85% of the membership, but the 15% would probably like the concept. Even if each region only did 1 or 2 rallies per year, that would be better than what is happening now.

Consider the possibility of a National Wilderness Rally! The unique nature allows for some great cooking and seminar possibilities. The "unplugged" concert and moonshine making contest would be great fun.

count me in.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
National wilderness rally is already held at camp wilderness in Disney. I know, I know.!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:29 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
National wilderness rally is already held at camp wilderness in Disney. I know, I know.!
Never been there and have no interest in going— Disney World is fun for the whole family but not so much for solo travelers— but I shudder to imagine the Disney version of a wilderness, where all of the animals look like cartoons and leave inky footprints.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I've seen Goofy at a few rallies already. (ahem, metro detroit, ahem)
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I am not a WBCCI member so excuse my ignorance.

Fifteen percent of Airstream Owners still is important. I am not aware how many Airstreams are licensed in the USA and Canada...

If among the 15% require electricity, sewer hookups, street lights and a level site to park their Airstream... maybe 10%. If among the 10% require a daily shower, maybe 5% is left.

Now... we are getting down to those that would be possible candidates for Greenhorn Boondocking!
Old 02-19-2016, 05:05 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
The core group here might very well be the people who deliberately waited until the full hookup and water/electric hookup sites for the 2016 International in Lewisburg were all taken. The ones that didn't even want to go at all until they found out that dry camping was also available and then signed up in droves.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Just dropped our WBIIC membership after the 1year freebie. Found it impossible to get into the meet-ups and not interested in going to the same places each year anyway. A "been there, done that, what's next" kind of person.
lindaebrewer is offline   Reply With Quote