Old 10-12-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Wally Byam's Birthday Celebration, and the International Rally

A little background of the celebration of Wally Byam's birthday.

"Many years ago a little tyke got dressed up for the Fourth of July. At his young age he didnít know about the Declaration of Independence. All he knew was this was his birthday and the celebration and parade were being held for him.

Over the years celebrating his birthday became a celebration by and for his friends.

Wallace Merle Byam out grew his unilateral belief that parades, crowds and firecrackers were for him personally.

The little boy became Wally Byam, founder and owner of Airstream Trailers. His friends prompted him to run trailer caravans, that later became a club. When the owners decided to form a club, they named it with respect for him, the Wally Byam Caravan Club.

There were many Caravans before Wally retired in 1960, Mexico, Europe, Central America, Canada and Africa.

The Caravannerís, now Club members, wanted to have a once year international rally. The Club, as envisioned by its members, gave the Airstream owners the association of caravans, but on a local basis. What about your fellow Airstreamers and friends in California, Montana, and Texas? You live in Florida and havenít seen your friends since your winter caravan to Mexico.

Putting together a few thoughts, the concept of the International Rally was born. In 1968 the first International Rally was held in Bull Shoals, Arkansas.

There are many things make the International Rallies important, the Celebration of our National Independence, Wallyís Birthday, vacation time, and the renewal of friendships.

My Mother, Helen Byam Schwamborn, always sent Wally a birthday card, and called him when he was home.

Have a Happy Fourth of July, and if you are attending the International Rally in Gillete, Wyoming have a safe trip and have fun."

Old 10-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Dale,

Very interesting. Maybe I am confused, but I thought the the second International was held in Lake Delton, WI in 1959, to which we celebrated the 50th anniversary this past summer in Madison... Thus making the first in 1958

In your comments, I don't hear you say that the purpose of the International was to conduct annual club business. That seems to be too much of the focus these days.

As you may know, A group of us are holding a Birthday Bash for Wally next summer. We are planning it so that the focus is about club members getting together and enjoying each others hospitality. I have found that the generosity of WBCCI members is second to none. I certainly hope that all who are longing to share this type of experience will find their way to Baker's Acres in Plymouth, NY, June 24- 28 2010.

...I bet there will even be some cake.

http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Type Error

I meant 1958 was the first International Rally. In Bull Shoals, Arkansas.

The 2nd Rally was held at Wisconsin Dells.

The 3rd Rally was held in Colorado Springs.

I didn't proof this. I will edit my stuff more closely. This was written earlier this year, and only brough up today to pre-celebrate Wally's 114th birthday at the International Rally.

Pee Wee
Old 10-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Typo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
A little background of the celebration of Wally Byam's birthday.

"Many years ago a little tyke got dressed up for the Fourth of July. At his young age he didnít know about the Declaration of Independence. All he knew was this was his birthday and the celebration and parade were being held for him.

Over the years celebrating his birthday became a celebration by and for his friends.

Wallace Merle Byam out grew his unilateral belief that parades, crowds and firecrackers were for him personally.

The little boy became Wally Byam, founder and owner of Airstream Trailers. His friends prompted him to run trailer caravans, that later became a club. When the owners decided to form a club, they named it with respect for him, the Wally Byam Caravan Club.

There were many Caravans before Wally retired in 1960, Mexico, Europe, Central America, Canada and Africa.

The Caravannerís, now Club members, wanted to have a once year international rally. The Club, as envisioned by its members, gave the Airstream owners the association of caravans, but on a local basis. What about your fellow Airstreamers and friends in California, Montana, and Texas? You live in Florida and havenít seen your friends since your winter caravan to Mexico.

Putting together a few thoughts, the concept of the International Rally was born. In 1968 the first International Rally was held in Bull Shoals, Arkansas.

There are many things make the International Rallies important, the Celebration of our National Independence, Wallyís Birthday, vacation time, and the renewal of friendships.

My Mother, Helen Byam Schwamborn, always sent Wally a birthday card, and called him when he was home.

Have a Happy Fourth of July, and if you are attending the International Rally in Gillete, Wyoming have a safe trip and have fun."
1968 should read 1958.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Not much celebrating in my eyes

Pee Wee,

I did not see much celebration last year at International of Wally's Birthday.. although I did leave early... this year at our WBBB here at our farm - that is what we'll center around (I know, a week early) on Saturday night capped off with a nice Fireworks show and a nice big Wally Byam birthday cake. No politics.

Rob
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote