Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
When you go on your maiden voyage, make sure the goal is to do something he loves. Fishing, ballpark tours, etc.

Suddenly after years of putting it off, my husband wants to get that shell back on.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:22 AM   #122
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Crawford , Texas
Caution

We were very grateful for the knowledge that we received from the
Vintage Academy this past weekend. It has given us the courage
to continue with our total restoration on our 1976 Airstream Tradewind.

We are a homeschool family and had the privilege to bring our children
with us. Our 14 year old son is restoring a 1948 Spartan Manor.

We were disappointed in the language used by a couple of the instructors
and the open use of alcohol. I would not say this is a family friendly event.

Just a heads up to other families.
MyAirstreamJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #123
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
We thank everyone who attended - what we just experienced was the greatest restoration event ever. The presenters shared their incredible knowledge and by all indications we accomplished what we set out to do - that is to provide the best restoration learning experience on the planet.

We have received great feedback about how the presenters freely shared their knowledge - its the only event where we saw how to take a shell off a trailer - put it back on, an easy way to make those front and rear belly pans, as well as Zolatone painting and many many other subjects.

This is not an easy event to put on, but from what we see - yes there were a few very minor glitches - always are - the event went as perfect as an event such as this can to.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
counter-caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAirstreamJoy View Post

and the open use of alcohol. I would not say this is a family friendly event...
As one of the more likely offending "instructors," you have my heartfelt apology. There's never any excuse for frightening the children, especially ones who have been cloistered and find the world a bit rough. A friendly "heads up" from you regarding the children would have been helpful, given that it was otherwise an adult environment. And hats off to your son, I wish I could have done something like that at his age.

Having said that, I'm wondering if your "family friendly" criteria are possibly outside the mainstream. "Open use of alcohol" on private property is not generally considered an offensive practice. If this is offensive to you, it is incumbent on you to make it known so that reasonable people can accommodate you, given, of course, that a reasonable person would consider your request reasonable. If you meant to say "overuse" of alcohol, I would be in 100% agreement with you.

Zep
Old 05-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thanks for Being There

Quote:

Thanks for bringing your beautiful family!
I wanted to let you know just how much I enjoyed the well mannered participation of your children in the classes. I predict they will remember this event and treasure the memories for the rest of their lives.
As for the salty language and open drinking, perhaps you can turn that into a positive discussion of how to deal with these facts of life. They are beautiful and obviously well-adjusted children who seem well prepared to cope with life's experiences.
Anyway, your kids were a meaningful and inspiring presence, and I hope we see them at other rallies.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:

I could not disagree more. I did not hear any inappropriate language, and the "open use of alcohol" I saw (and participated in) was temperate use of beer and wine at dinner and hanging out at the campsite.

Personally, kicking back and having a beer goes hand in hand with camping out. MyAirstreamJoy makes the Academy sound like a something of a drunken debacle while the vast majority of participant time was going to classes. I would be interested in hearing about examples of the concerning language and use of alcohol. What was said and was alcohol comsumption excessive? I guess I missed it.

As for "family friendly" my impression children are welcome but the Academy was not designed with kids in mind. Why were the kids in the classes anyway? If I were a kid again I would be bored silly.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #127
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Did I miss something? I didn't hear swearing. As for the alcohol, it was what one would expect for an event like this. At the dinner on the last night quite a few people were enjoying beer or wine... My husband and I don't drink but we were never uncomfortable. We didn't witness anyone behaving badly.

This was my first "rally" experience... But I've been on the forums for years and it seems most events do include a happy hour. I don't think it's realistic to expect that events will be free from alcohol.

On the other hand, I feel for the other poster in trying to create a wholesome environment for impressionable kids... Perhaps he/she should consider forming a more socially conservative group to enjoy activities with. There are all kinds of folks here on these forums and maybe that would generate some interest.

How wonderful to have such an ambitious son. Spartans are neat vintage kin, I hope the restoration is a great success!
Sum75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #128
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:

I want to thank Vintage Trailer Supply, vendors and volunteer instructors for an amazing and informative experience. I cant imagine how many hours of preparation, material sourcing and back and forth phone calls it took to put this together. I also appreciate that it was a "not for profit" event although I certainly wouldnt fault you if it was. Having attended most of the seminars with a majority of time spent at the floor replacement I witnessed a professional but working environment. Salty language can occur when one jabs a screw driver into their finger or rolls into a bit of shop talk.

I dont think I met you personally but I did comment on how well behaved your children were, obviously a reflection on your family. Im sorry that this was your take away experience and wish it could have been something better. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I would ask that we move on from this specific post keeping with the intended spirit of the event.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #129
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum75 View Post
How wonderful to have such an ambitious son. Spartans are neat vintage kin, I hope the restoration is a great success!
I missed the part about this kid in the original post. If a 14 year old wants to learn about vintage restoration more power to him. When I was 14 all I could think about was 16 year old girls. Now I'm 62 and all I can think about is aluminium.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #130
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I have been thinking a good part of the day how to respond to this. You may have heard the first night I said that we consider this to be a very serious learning event - over the years we have had many families and we try to make this a family event - I will talk to the presenters next year to be careful what they say - and what joy you have to share this Airstream restoration stuff with your family and a 14 year old restoring a Spartan - that is totally cool - as Zep said that was the fartherest thing from my mind when I was his age. As far as the drinking, the only time I saw any beer or wine was dinner on Sat night - I have to say that I think having a glass of beer or wine is nice with dinner - so if there is something I missed, then I need to know - in fact we as organizers and Luke Bernander in particular gave away two cases of wine at the raffle - but then I grew up with a European grandmother who gave us a teaspoon of whiskey and a teaspoon of honey when we were sick - seems like it cured anything we ever had

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Great job Ken! Such as awesome event. I could swear you have previous experience as a Las Vegas show act, the way you handled the crowds. Very impressive!

I learned so much. I have no doubt that i could restore an older trailer that needs a little TLC (if anyone has one to donate, PM me immediately!)

It was worth the long trip. We were able to reconnect with several longtime Airstream friends, as well as forge some new ones.

We really enjoyed each and every presenter, and class that we were able to attend.

I do yoga to relieve stress, just kidding I drink wine in yoga pants
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #132
1 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
oakdale , New York
We would like to thank the academy including all the volunteers for this inspirational and educational experience. We can only imagine all the hours it took to plan and execute this event. Presenters were so patient with all of us.

Now after attending the academy we feel more confident in drawing up a plan of action in restoring our future retirement home.

It was great!

Special shout out to Uwe and Jim...you guys ROCK!!!!
lucille58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #133
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Thumbs up

Great event, can not say enough good things about it! Well worth the time and money and was a really great excuse to cruise Rt 66 again.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #134
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Just like to add my thanks to Ken and all the presenters for an outstanding experience. Cleco, Dean and I spent the better part of two days with Uwe buried in the floor of Kens 55Flying Cloud and I really hope the result was up to Kens expectations! I know I learned enough to be less terrified of dropping my shell on the next sunny day. Jen learned enough that she feels more comfortable with the lingo and is actually helping me with the planning. The plan for next year is no more tent unless its aluminum
thanks again everyone and count us in again next year
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #135
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASwifey View Post
I have no doubt that i could restore an older trailer that needs a little TLC (if anyone has one to donate, PM me immediately!)
Haven't I been telling you this? (Actually, I'll tell that to anyone who will listen.)

You'd have a blast at it, I'm sure.
I'll keep my eyes peeled for possibilities.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #136
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Sorry to go off topic...I need to get in touch with the couple who have the dog who sings to the harmonica, the gentleman does the WBCCI ham radio club. I believe she won the polisher.

I have a great picture to send you!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #137
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:

First, I am so proud of your son for taking on such an awesome project. I, too, homeschool and Airstream and have a son 13, but I feel as homeschoolers, we can't isolate and expect an ideal world for our children. I agree with other family members that there comes a time that they have to be exposed to various people and situations that one might not agree with, but we have to be able to learn to handle these situations. I am concerned it gives homeschoolers a bad name when we are so easily offended, IMHO.
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:53 PM   #138
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Shelter Island , New York
This event was so impressive and useful. I suppose one goes to any kind of seminar with at least a little fear that the material won't be useful, that you might wind up looking to bug out early. That was SO not the case here - I learned so much and I still didn't get all the classes I wanted. I spent most of my time in the lectures and can't wait for next year so I can get my hands dirty.

Thanks to everyone who made this event happen!
Old 07-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #139
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
I'm in this thread a bit late. Just wanted to say how sorry I was to have missed it. I've been to the last 3 and the date change was a problem for me as a teacher. Not that can't take a day off here or there. But, end of school year dates, for Arizona, that would be May, are tricky. My 1962 Globetrotter, "Dreamcatcher" would still be a gutted shell on cinder blocks if it weren't for the experts at this event helping me during the rally and willing to take questions, all year long. Hope I can make it next year. Thanks, always, to Ken & team!
Old 01-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #140
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Ok, sounds like everyone had an informative and awesome time. When's this years event scheduled?

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote