Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2003, 12:57 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Lots of GlobeTrotters coming

I was surprised to see that there will more Globetrotters at the VAC rally than any other length. There are 8 vintage GlobeTrotters registered and if you consider that our '02 19' Bambi is actually the same length as the GlobeTrotter (wish A/S would return to the old names), there will be 9. Not far behind in representation will be the TradeWind with 7 units.
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 06:30 PM   #22
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
RM VAC Rally

Wish we were going. Just can't get away from work this time of year. Say "Hi" to all and take pictures, lots and lots of pictures.

Brad

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 06:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Oh come on Brad!

Ben & Molly (Midamrail - see 6/29 post above) decided to join us just for the weekend...they're coming from St. Louis!

Shari
Quote:
"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday."
The work will still be there when you get back...
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:26 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Hi,

I hope you guys enjoy yourselves; it sure sounds like you will! Being new to the RV/AirStream world we could not get our act together to attend this year, but it is on my calendar for next year.

I hope all we need to do is join WBCCI and the VAC! However, we don't have a GlobeTrotter or TrandWind!

-Sheila
WolfSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 08:28 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
We're nuts!

As Shari said, we've either bravely or stupidly decided to drive out to LaVeta just for the weekend because we loved last year's rally so much and loved even more the people we met.

Let's see, though...928 miles each way, a 39-year-old trailer, our very first trip of any kind with it...

I hope we're able to sleep tonight. We're a bit nervous about a 2000-mile, 4-day maiden trip with a trailer that's several years older than either one of us.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:28 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to mtccollins
Ben & Molly

If you talk to Ben and Molly, tell them I have been trying to call them all day. I want to know if he wants me to bid on the Globe Trotter at auction here Sunday. Itr seems in great shape except the floor tile..Haven't been able to Get inside of it yet. He will know who is inquiring. The Upholstery guy!
Old 08-12-2003, 10:40 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Exclamation Anxiously awaiting full report

Spare ua no details.
Who came who didnt and why?
List all models if you can.
How many do not use this forum & why?
Which forum do they use (if any)?
Ages of attendees ? range at least.

Any trouble?
Any general theme of what was on everyones minds ? Both Airstream and non AS related?

How bout next years locale?
Hope to some day join you all we love Colorado & north New Mexico.

Sue&Von
Sue&Von is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 11:23 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Sue and Von

I think everybody had a really great time. In fact there are some who are still there.

I think you'll see full details and lots of pictures on the vintage website. Ages ranges from very young (adults) to very very young (children) ((hows that for being politically correct!))

Oldest trailer was 1947 and newest was 2003.

I'm not aware of any trouble - bit of rain - I found a new leak in my trailer - open house was packed lots of folks came by to look at all the trailers. NBC news was there filming and interviewing - sure you all will here more on that later - great food, great organization - really great time.

I came back with lots of new ideas.

Its fun to meet folks that you have known for a long time, but never met........

I don't any decision has been made for next year at this point.

Not sure what else to say, other than it is a must attend event for anyone who whats to truely have a great time!

Ken J.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 04:00 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
We had a WONDERFUL time!

We really, really enjoyed the RM VAC Rally. In fact, we don't regret for a second making the 1900-mile round-trip just to be there for two days.

We noticed three things:
1. People seem more enthusiastic and knowledgeable than ever about their trailers and motorhomes. Perhaps it's the wealth of info on the web, perhaps it's the visibility of the resources of the VAC and other groups/sites...whatever it is, it's a good thing. The owners of the rigs seemed consistently more interested in the restoration and preservation of their trailers/MHs than in "just getting it going." We also noticed more polished rigs than ever before.

2. VACers are always an unfailingly friendly, supportive group. We've run in both the classic car and railroading circles, and the VAC environment absolutely lacks the arrogance and competitiveness of those worlds.

3. There seemed to be a general but unspoken consensus that the vintage Airstream movement may be about to explode. Whether that is a good or bad thing is yet to be seen, but the reaction to the NBC segment will be interesting to gauge.

The campground was nice, the attendees were great, the open house was particularly enjoyable, and the rally organizers found the perfect blend of beautiful surroundings, nice sites, fun activities, and plenty of time to socialize. Hats off to that team and particularly Shari for a wonderful rally. We can't wait for next year!
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2003, 04:42 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Best Rally of the year

Without any reservations, this past weekend was the best time we have had at any rally. While our rig was the newest one at the rally and a mere 23 years from vintage, we now know that we are truely vintage at heart. On the way back we spotted 5 60's / 70's vintage A/Ss, parked in those long forgotten small towns in the panhandle of Texas, looking like they needed a new home, so who knows, we may be making our way back across north Texas trying to rescue one.

Shari and the Rocky Mnt VAC team set a new standard for excellence in planning and attention to detail. There is no doubt that we will be in attendance next year.
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 04:57 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Photos!

Just edited these down to size. Hope I get the descriptions right, my apologies to anyone that I mis-identify (let me know if I do though). We had a great time. This 1st photo is where some of us gathered near I-25 on the south side of metro Denver just prior to caravaning to La Veta. It is Mario's NBC film crew talking to Rob & Shari Davis, and Randy Unter. On the right in background is my '66 Globe Trotter and on the left is Randy's '66 Overlander.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0001.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	2625  
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 05:00 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Photos!

This is Luke Bernander's 1960 firetruck and his '65 Caravel just prior to caravan.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0003.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	2626  
Old 08-12-2003, 05:03 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Photos!

Luke's dog says "what are we waiting for? Let's roll!"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0005.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	2627  
Old 08-12-2003, 05:09 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Photos!

Here we are south bound on I-25 behind "Maxwell". Rob has a great shine on it, but he says he's not done. In the lead is Luke followed by Randy Unter. I think the title of the photo should be "Off we go - into the wild blue yonder!"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0013.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	2628  
Old 08-12-2003, 05:13 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Photos!

I'll post more later - it's dinner time, but will leave you with a shot of the banner Shari made. It was auctioned off silently at the end of the rally, but don't know yet who won!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0019.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	2629  
Old 08-12-2003, 05:26 PM   #36
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
WOW ! ! Looks like tons of fun. Congrats to Shari, Rob and all of the other organizers. We want more photos, more photos. Did I mention, more photos? Sign us up for next year.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 05:49 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
The Beerstream!

Here's a shot of New Belgium Brewery's "Beerstream." Tad and the Beerstream stopped in on Saturday and stayed through the open house and into the late afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	beerstream.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	2630  
Old 08-12-2003, 06:18 PM   #38
Rivet Master

La Veta rally

Chris and myself would like to thank Shari and Rob for insisting we attend this rally for the weekend or for just "open House"
We feverishly worked to get the Globetrotter in some semblance of usefullness all last week.
Tired and hungry, we rolled into the campground at 11:38 pm.
Made one loop around with a screechy hitch and stopped as not to awake anyone.
The new friends we have made ofcourse are priceless. The experience needs to be repeated. We had so much fun, including the 4X4 ing route we took looking for "Up Top"
(Shari?) Patti had a ball, even got a picture of a "wild cow"!
We've been to a few other rv rallies with our s.o.b. rv, but felt at home with this crew.
The open house was super. We loved to see what everyone has done, and what was original. Those lucky few who find vintage rigs in "museum conditon" or who are finished with their first revamping, gives us encouragement to complete our trailer.
Thank you, Shari, Rob, Luke, Donna, Patti, Kevin, Ben, Molly, Dave and Bret, and everyone else!

We will see you down the road,
Jim and Chris
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 08:44 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Photos! Airstream Row

Forground, left Diane Bailey's '61 Bambi, right Fred Coldwell's '47 WeeWind and the Argosy in next row is Lou DeCarolis'.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0018.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	2631  
Old 08-12-2003, 08:53 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Photos!

So many Airstreams, so little space. Many spaces had to be doubled up, but the committee came up with the "Y Thingy" for shared sewer connections. It was a little makeshift, but it worked and provided us with a contest to come up with the "10 best reasons to use the Y Thingy." The number one reason - "So we can be number one in a number two business."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0027.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	2632