Old 07-28-2004, 10:45 AM   #113
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Vintage Airstream Club - 2004 Rocky Mountain Rally

Greetings All!

"Murphy" is back in force. The phone rang at 10:15 a.m. - - GM parts shipment arrived without the part for my Suburban - - revised arrival is tomorrow with completion by Thursday noon. I suspect that I may be attending without my trailer at this point - - I don't know whether I will make Friday given that the route that I have planned with the trailer is 1,165 miles while the route that I would take without the trailer is 1,090 miles.

Hoping to see everyone this weekend!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:19 PM   #114
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
Kevin,

I hope the part arrives for the Suburban and you're able to bring a trailer! I know my dad, who will be coming with his Minuet, will be disappointed if yours isn't there.

We've been facing a similar issue with the new axle we ordered for our Tradewind. Henschen has inexplicably failed to meet the original completion date for it, and we're running with our old one. We debated whether to take the other trailer, but we're going to try to go with the Tradewind and the original axle. All the horror stories - particularly RJ's - about axles breaking on trailers around the age of ours has me scared. And because we thought we'd have the new axle, we haven't serviced our old one.

I'm having an uneasy feeling about this trip from a mechanical standpoint, and I hope we have good luck and that yours improves. First Shari's accident with the knife, then Ron and Tony having to cancel bringing their Safari, now your tow vehicles and our axle...this rally is always the high point of our camping season, and I hope it goes as well for you and us as last year's!

Old 07-28-2004, 01:00 PM   #115
2 Rivet Member

In the event that any of you lucky rallyers need a good mechanic shop while in Colo Springs, I can reccomend Cooper Automotive Service & Repair.
2838 N. Prospect St. phone 520-0088 (803 Area code I believe)

They are open on Saturdays and saved my skin (and my money) during a vacation in the Springs a while back.

Oh and a oft overlooked attraction in Colo Springs is the zoo up above Broadmore Lodge.
And of course if your AC fails at the campsite (not that you'll need it) You can always check in at the Broadmore for about 495.00 per night.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:39 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
we're on our way

We're hitting the road tomorrow morning at 5:45 am. Should get in on Friday afternoon....tired, hungry and ready for happy hour.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:42 PM   #117
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Carbondale , Colorado
Ken,

My husband and I will be leaving from western Colorado sometime on Friday, as well! We're coming from Carbondale and will be using 1-70 out of Glenwood Springs. Not sure that you'd be coming this way, but if so, we'd love to join your group and head with you to the Springs!

I SURE HOPE EVERYONE HAS A SAFE TRIP!

I hope I can get things in order to go. You'll all have to appreciate the work that needs to still be done on our "Roadrunner!" We've been working hard at just being able to make it there, let alone have it fixed up.

I'm so looking forward to meeting all of you and seeing your "babies"!

Shari....I'm so sorry about your accident! I, too, had a TINY one night before last! NOTHING compared to yours!!! I don't know how many times I've told my boys to wear safety glasses, and I go and not wear any!! (I was using a dremel tool). Well, after a trip to the eye doctor and $214 later, I had the steel removed from my eye and the rust removed with a dremmel type tool! Not pleasant, but it didn't hurt after it was done, and my eye's almost as good as new! Very tiny, compared to yours, indeed!

PLEASE everyone have a great and safe time in getting there and I hope all goes well for everyone having problems!!

See you all Friday!

Becky
Old 07-28-2004, 03:51 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Becky

We will be going over Wolf Creek to Walsenburg and on up, so we will just see you there.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:03 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I think we're ALL looking forward to happy hour!

Everybody's got their calamities out of the way now....NO MORE!

Safe travels...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 01:00 PM   #120
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Vintage Airstream Club - 2004 Rocky Mountain Rally

Greetings All!

Murphy is still well and having a good time with my plans. The needed part for my Suburban was misdirected and the distribution center in St. Louis doesn't seem to know where it was sent. A duplicate part is supposed to be at the dealer's tomorrow morning by 10:00 a.m.

If the part isn't in the 10:00 a.m. shipment tomorrow, I will be traveling without trailer in the S-10 Blazer Tahoe if the mechanic approves it for travel (it is with the mechanic as I key this note). If this scenario plays-out, I expect to be in Colorado Springs by early-to-mid-afternoon on Saturday. If the part arrives and the Suburban can be made ready, I will likely arrive by late morning/early afternoon on Sunday.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 02:18 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
After reading this thread it's clear the forums going to be pretty quite for the next week. Sounds like the best rally there is. I'll be there next year with my new trailer.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:25 AM   #122
2 Rivet Member

Owings Mills , Maryland
I went to the Open House at the Rally yesterday. It was wonderful. I have never seen so many Airstreams. They were all beautimous. Thanks to everyone for letting us tour your trailers.

Kaye
Old 08-01-2004, 11:30 AM   #123
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
I hope someone, or more!, post picts and commentary re: the VAC rally.... Our scheduled trip to Jackson Center kept us from attending this year .
Old 08-01-2004, 01:47 PM   #124
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Wink Totally Rad or is that Bad???

We, too, return from the rally (after a scare w/vapor lock on the car) with nice memories. Thanks so much to all for giving the tours and allowing us into your trailers even with muddy feet I thouroughly enjoyed each trailer I visited, and wish I could have reached all 70+-. I missed not seeing you and your Minuet, Kevin and I could not find you Ken (Durango), but it is certainly an inspiration to get my rear in gear for next year (whooh, such a poet are I). Has anyone figured out where it will be next year? I hear Steamboat Springs is nice?? Anyway, safe traveling home for all and can't wait to see your pics.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 03:24 PM   #125
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
So Many Trailers, So Little Time

I have been asked to post here re: our trip to the Open House of the Vintage AS Rally in C. Springs.

1st, it was wonderful to see such a large gathering (and so much enthusiasum) of these great trailers. Gave me a good perspective of the differences (even among the same types of trailers). Also, so neat to see the small additions each owner had found to make their trailer their own and the way each utilized the space.

We have been wanting to attend a rally and this one just added fuel to the fire to try to get to one (this one?) next year. We were able to reach only a fraction of the trailers being shown (I could have spent all day there), but at each one, we were welcomed and had such great conversations. I really enjoyed getting to know a few of you and hope to add to the acquantance in the near future!! Also, I bet the workshops are well worth the time and effort to attend. I didn't see or find out about the topics, maybe Shari will post more on that soon.

Hope I have given you all a taste of how much fun and how interesting this little trip was. If you are hesitant to get involved in a rally, going to an open house might just be the ticket to show you what a blast these people can have. I certainly felt like they were enjoying themselves

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 10:02 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Well, I hope everybody has made it home safely!

We had a terrific rally, 73 trailers and about 155 people, plus more visitors to the Open House...most everything went without a hitch. It was wonderful to meet all the 'real people' behind the avitars, meet new friends and reaquaint ourselves with old ones.

In the next week or two, I hope to be posting a "rally report" website...so PLEASE zip up those .jpgs and email them in to me for inclusion, without them there will not be a website... maxwell@insideout-design.net

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote