"Mod-Pod" - '77 Argosy Minuet 6.0
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 05:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
I was unprepared for the heat, wind, and dust.
Quote:
It is no secret that International rallies are dust bowls that are intrinsic to their locations. I do not condone having rallies at fairgrounds but it seems that this is the typical location for large rallies.
The heat has been the biggest complaint I've heard of the last several years...but where isn't it hot on July 4th that could accomodate (and draw) 1500+ trailers?

This a/c acclimated working gal would gladly "put up with the heat" in order to attend an International Rally. But the privledge of an extended vacation of more than a couple of days is not possible right now...hopefully someday soon...

Take advantage of the opportunity if you can...I'm with Smily on this one ~
Quote:
I will someday make it to an International and I will be glad that I did.
Shari

Old 07-08-2003, 06:00 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
" 3. To sum up WBCCI, the people are wonderfully friendly but the organization is not. For example, with limited vacation I showed up at 11:00 AM on Saturday - game over for opening ceromonies. The orientation for first-timers was at 1:00 PM while I was still parking and setting up. Most retired people had been there for over a week so it was no problem for them. Those of us who work missed all of that"

This is why I feel that WBCCI is out of touch and have been so far almost the lone wolf that won't continue the free membership beyond the trial period.

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 06:24 PM   #18
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
I will be attending the 2004 rally in Lansing MI. and I have been instructed to make resevations off site. Edie cannot take the heat. We were in Rapid City in 96 and baked for 4 days before we moved to a KOA. I want to be able to take a long hot shower, and sleep in a cool dry bed.

The only way to have it be cool on the 4th is to have the rally in the Rocky Mountains at elevation, or in Canada somewhere. Hopefully the 2005 rally will have success with a fulll power International. Then there will be more who want to attend.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 07:36 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally posted by thenewkid64
I will be attending the 2004 rally in Lansing MI. and I have been instructed to make resevations off site. Edie cannot take the heat. We were in Rapid City in 96 and baked for 4 days before we moved to a KOA. I want to be able to take a long hot shower, and sleep in a cool dry bed.

The only way to have it be cool on the 4th is to have the rally in the Rocky Mountains at elevation, or in Canada somewhere. Hopefully the 2005 rally will have success with a fulll power International. Then there will be more who want to attend.
Even in the Rocky Mountains you have to have the Cool Day Gods on your side when choosing Rally dates. Today in Colorado it was 103 degrees in Grand Junction, 100 degrees in Fort Collins, Greeley and Denver, and a record 105 degrees in Pueblo. But then again, it is a dry heat; humidity was only 27%.

Fred, sweatin'
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 07:39 PM   #20
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by InsideOut
The heat has been the biggest complaint I've heard of the last several years...but where isn't it hot on July 4th that could accomodate (and draw) 1500+ trailers?
OK ... let's try these:

King County Fairgrounds - Seattle Area
Average July High: 75

Del Mar Fairgrounds - San Diego Area
High Today: 73

Clark County Fairgrounds - Portland OR
Average July High: 79

Seaside Park - Ventura, CA
Average July High: 74

As you can see, the answer lies on the Pacific Coast!

When is the last time an International was held out here?

I think the problem is the tradition of holding the International on Wally's birthday. Many nice places already have events planned for the July 4th holiday.

It would be nice if the club would break away from long held traditions and try something new.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:55 PM   #21

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I've lived in the NW all my life, and everyone out here knows summer stars on July 5th :-) You can't imagine how many times we've had to put up with soggy fireworks and indoor picnics.

I didn't realize the International was planned around Wally's b-day. I wondered why they would plan the rally for one of the biggest holidays of the year, when lots of people get together with family. I know we'd be the black sheep of the year if we skipped out on the family 4th of July picnic for a trailer rally.

Frankly, a HUGE rally like the international doesn't interest me nearly as much as the small local events, otherwise I'd be a lot more disappointed that they are all planned for so far away. You'd pretty much have to be retired to be able to drive all the way across the country, attend a weeklong rally, and then drive back home.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 07:24 AM   #22
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
well, Burlington is a good "theoretical" choice for good weather in July...average high is around 80. BUT, as murphy's law would dictate, we had warmer than normal temps last week. Oh, well.

I was intrigued by the comment that some place in NS was in the running for an international rally; that, too would be a good weather spot, although far, far away for almost everyone. It almost never gets hot there. many of the hotels dont' even have A/C. of course, the ONE time I visited, they had a very unusual heat-wave. (mid-upper 90's and sticky). we were very lucky to have a hotel room that did have a/c. It was actually much cooler in Boston that week than it was in NS. So...I guess the point is that you'll never be able to predict the weather more than a couple of days in advance.

Oh, and as for the "fairgrounds" comments: where else would you find a place to park 1500 trailers for a week?
Old 07-09-2003, 07:36 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Smile Rally pictures

You can see the pictures that were published in our local paper (The Burlington Free Press) by clicking here.

We met Don Elliott and Priscilla the cat in the vintage area. Nice folks, nice kitty ...

-- RL
Old 07-09-2003, 07:37 AM   #24
nds
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck
Oh, and as for the "fairgrounds" comments: where else would you find a place to park 1500 trailers for a week?
If someone volunteered a farm for the purpose, I would think that even with the 90 degree or hotter temperatures, it wouldn't be as bad as being spread out across an asphalt parking lot that helps add to the heat. You would just have to hope that there wasn't much rain to cause a mud pit.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:59 AM   #25
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by nds

If someone volunteered a farm for the purpose, I would think that even with the 90 degree or hotter temperatures, it wouldn't be as bad as being spread out across an asphalt parking lot that helps add to the heat. You would just have to hope that there wasn't much rain to cause a mud pit.
An Airstream Woodstock?

BTW... very nice coverage in the Burlington Free Press. Thanks for posting the link!

Roger
Old 07-09-2003, 08:16 AM   #26
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I would think that most farms are busy..um ..."farming". 1500 airstreams can't be good for the crops. now in the winter...that might work.

Quote:
An Airstream Woodstock?
check out http://www.mytravco.com they have had a couple of "trav-stocks".

(found this site because the webmeister posted info about my old skyliner antenna.....)
Old 07-09-2003, 08:25 AM   #27
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by chuck
I would think that most farms are busy..um ..."farming". 1500 airstreams can't be good for the crops. now in the winter...that might work.

check out http://www.mytravco.com they have had a couple of "trav-stocks".

(found this site because the webmeister posted info about my old skyliner antenna.....)
Too Cool!

I can see it now... the Summer of Airstream Love... Jefferson Airstream... Blood, Sweat, and Airstreams... Chicago Airstream Transit Authority... Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Airstreams...

Amfab???

Sorry... just got carried away...

Roger
Old 07-09-2003, 09:05 AM   #28
qqq
4 Rivet Member

The sanitation commitee looks friendly and inviting (press pics)

Hart