Old 10-31-2009, 05:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
...Additionally, I hope 87MH will lobby hard for "best of show" votes again in '10. Kim luvved his "fruit punch" stand...
Nope - out of the "best of show" business....it was fun, but time to retire the trailer from "show"...
but...
...the theme this year is "Lost in the 50's"...

I am almost certain some members of the "Pink Ladies" (the movie "Grease" version) will make an appearance...maybe even some mini-grease burgers (a la an Airstream "Mel's Diner" from the 50's) will be served - and the flavor of the Shakes????... who knows.

The Montgomery park should be a much better venue than the San Antonio site in 2009, bring your portable chairs and plan to do a LOT of "socializing" along Vintage Row.

We all had a great time last year, and hope to once again see everyone we have had the pleasure to meet in the years past - and many more!

Best prayers, wishes, and thoughts to Gayland and his family - I sincerely hope he is able to "make the rounds" during the the 2010 TVR.

Montgomery/Conroe is a very short drive from Bush International in Houston, anyone thinking about fllying in for the ralley is encouraged to do so.

There will be trailers in all stages of completion (and demolition) in attendance - a great learning opportunity.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Could someone direct me to the Rally photos from last year. I would love to see what the park looks like but can't find much on KOA's site or google images.
We might try to come down for this one.

76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I plan to attend like last year, and will be flying in with my leak testing equipment. Last year there was a hotel right on the grounds, so I am hoping to find something similar near the conroe park.

Steve
Old 10-31-2009, 07:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
2009 Texas Vintage Rally - Flashback

Dennis,

Thanks for the memories.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6260 Texas Vintage Rally 2009.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	341.9 KB
ID:	90065  
Old 10-31-2009, 09:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
Dennis,

Thanks for the memories.
Pee Wee that T- shirt you have on seems quite appropriate
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
What Can I Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
Pee Wee that T- shirt you have on seems quite appropriate
Doug,

I am glad that everytning has been pointed out.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Texas Rally

It's too close to home to miss. Will block out a space.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
There hasn't been any posting on this thread in two months, and we are a month and a half from the event. I know that there are a bunch of people who are looking forward to this event. John...is there anything new to report? Anyone else decided to show? etc etc etc.

Steve
Old 12-31-2009, 01:16 AM   #23
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Steve, I'm planning on being there with my trailer for you to leak test this year! Put me down for a test and to repair any leak you may find.

On July 24th, I was given three weeks to live and here I am. My tumor was and remains inoperable. My doctors told me again and again that Pancreatic cancer does not respond much to chemotherapy or to radiation and yet here I am. In fact, three weeks ago, my oncologist came in and announced that it appeared to him that I was now NED (no evidence of disease). I am now pain free after taking massive amounts of morpine and other opiates which we increased almost daily to control the intense and all consuming pain. Now, I take absolutely no pain medications of any kind. Cancer markers are no longer showing up in my blood tests. CT Spiral Scans shows the tumor mass to remain, but it seems totally inactive. I've now regained about 15 pounds of the 95 pounds I lost and am slowly regaining strength.

My oncologist considers it some sort of a miracle saying he doesn't think it is anything he and his treatments have been able to do. Treatments were designed to perhaps buy some time, but normally do not resolve the problem except in less than one percent of patients according to my doctor.

I credit all the many people from all over the country who have sent up prayers on my behalf since this thing started. Most have been from our Airstream family that we've met through our unit, the Texas Vintage Rally and other events over the past five years or so. Not only did they pray for me, but they were there with my wife and daughter when they were told my condition was terminal helping them as best one can at a time like that. They followed us home to help however they could since my wife had broken her foot just days before and I had gotten so weak I could barely walk with a cane. They answered the many phone calls and cared for the many visitors who arrived over the following week to see me one last time. They carried us to Dallas to an RV park there so that we could access the Baylor Medical Hospital to see if treatment would somehow delay the inevitable. Our Airstream family brought their trailers and rotated in and out of the park so that someone was always there to drive us to the hospital every day, to the grocery store or to any other need we might have. One Airstreamer or another stayed with us for almost nine weeks in that RV Park. Others drove in for the day or several days to visit and make certain we both kept a positive attitude in the face of almost certain death. We received 336 cards at last count and phone calls daily. I especially appreciate them being there for my wife in helping her to deal with my situation.

As a result of their efforts, I have every confidence I'll be there if nothing else but to say thanks to our many Airstream and Vintage Airstream friends who have done so much for us since July of this year. See you in Montgomery.

Gayland Stephens
Old 12-31-2009, 08:50 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Happy new year gayland and family

Gayland: I am so sorry for the pain and grief you and your wife have been through in the past months but elated at the results you speak of. Airstream folks are amazing and your story shows this to the 10th power! God bless you, your family and all that helped you through this difficult time. WELCOME BACK TO THE WORLD GAYLAND! We hope to see you at a Rally oneday. You sound like an amazing person with a renewed appreciation for life which is an inspiration for all.......We will keep you in our prayers also..... HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStephens View Post
Steve, I'm planning on being there with my trailer for you to leak test this year! Put me down for a test and to repair any leak you may find.

On July 24th, I was given three weeks to live and here I am. My tumor was and remains inoperable. My doctors told me again and again that Pancreatic cancer does not respond much to chemotherapy or to radiation and yet here I am. In fact, three weeks ago, my oncologist came in and announced that it appeared to him that I was now NED (no evidence of disease). I am now pain free after taking massive amounts of morpine and other opiates which we increased almost daily to control the intense and all consuming pain. Now, I take absolutely no pain medications of any kind. Cancer markers are no longer showing up in my blood tests. CT Spiral Scans shows the tumor mass to remain, but it seems totally inactive. I've now regained about 15 pounds of the 95 pounds I lost and am slowly regaining strength.

My oncologist considers it some sort of a miracle saying he doesn't think it is anything he and his treatments have been able to do. Treatments were designed to perhaps buy some time, but normally do not resolve the problem except in less than one percent of patients according to my doctor.

I credit all the many people from all over the country who have sent up prayers on my behalf since this thing started. Most have been from our Airstream family that we've met through our unit, the Texas Vintage Rally and other events over the past five years or so. Not only did they pray for me, but they were there with my wife and daughter when they were told my condition was terminal helping them as best one can at a time like that. They followed us home to help however they could since my wife had broken her foot just days before and I had gotten so weak I could barely walk with a cane. They answered the many phone calls and cared for the many visitors who arrived over the following week to see me one last time. They carried us to Dallas to an RV park there so that we could access the Baylor Medical Hospital to see if treatment would somehow delay the inevitable. Our Airstream family brought their trailers and rotated in and out of the park so that someone was always there to drive us to the hospital every day, to the grocery store or to any other need we might have. One Airstreamer or another stayed with us for almost nine weeks in that RV Park. Others drove in for the day or several days to visit and make certain we both kept a positive attitude in the face of almost certain death. We received 336 cards at last count and phone calls daily. I especially appreciate them being there for my wife in helping her to deal with my situation.

As a result of their efforts, I have every confidence I'll be there if nothing else but to say thanks to our many Airstream and Vintage Airstream friends who have done so much for us since July of this year. See you in Montgomery.

Gayland Stephens
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:03 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I'm going!

Regardless...I plan to go. No A/C or refrigerator yet and water system not complete.

This year I won't make the mistake of showing on Sat. Lots of activities happen in the preceding days.

PS............bring your Airstream extras to for the flea market sale.
Get your Airstream leak checked.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:08 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Still on track

I am the seminar chairman and I am working on having 10 seminars available, including 3 especially for the women. Pat McDowell has furnished me with some great technical seminars.

The KOA in Montgomery is a great location for the vintage rally in that we have an area, bordered by a pretty lake, especially for the vintage trailers so that all can be parked together. That works great for the open house.

Look for 2 catered meals and a pot luck.

Friday evening, we have some truly great entertainment. We had a rally near Crockett, TX in 2009 and we heard these folks at a monthly Crockett event. As something of a musician, I will tell you that these are absolutely the best! In accordance with the "Back to the Fifties" theme of the rally, they have promised us that the first set will be fifties music.

Go to THLU.ORG, click on Texas Vintage Rally for details and registration form.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:43 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
DFW , Texas
This will be our first time to attend. Is there a schedule of events that is available? We will be coming in from the Dallas area and wanted to know when the recommended arrival time would be on the 10th, and what time the events are over on the final day. Thanks for posting the registration link.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:15 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxToaster View Post
This will be our first time to attend. Is there a schedule of events that is available? We will be coming in from the Dallas area and wanted to know when the recommended arrival time would be on the 10th, and what time the events are over on the final day. Thanks for posting the registration link.
The schedule is still in flux, but the seminars will be held on Thursday and Friday during the day. The wildly popular flea market will be Saturday morning before lunch.

The catered meals will be Friday and Saturday evenings.

This year, we opted for one night of great entertainment rather than our usual two nights. That will be on Friday night. These performers can make a lot more $$$ elsewhere and it would have considerably blown our budget to have them on Saturday night.

There will be a pot luck with the rally furnishing the meat (probably ham).

Nothing scheduled on Sunday morning.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas vintage rally, wbcci