Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Texas Vintage Airstream Rally 2011

Texas Highland Lakes Unit is hosting The Texas Vintage Airstream Rally on May 12 - 16, 2011 at Tres Rios River Ranch at Glen Rose, Texas. We have moved the rally from February to May in anticipation of more predictable weather.

Rally brochure

THIS IS THE ONE event held each year where WBCCI members and non-members, Vintage owners and owners with newer trailers can all come together in celebration of our Airstreams.

Tres Rios River Ranch in Glen Rose, TX is a family friendly campground with some shaded sites, large dining hall, and big covered pavilions for group gatherings. You may want to come a day early to take advantage of local golfing or the Dinosaur Park.

As before, A pot luck meal with meat furnished, two catered dinners and daily coffee service are included in the rally fee. Special daily seminars on topics of interest to everyone – vintage enthusiasts as well as owners of newer models. Public Open House on Saturday will showcase vintage Airstreams. There will be a Swap and Sell Meet (Flea Market) Bring your treasures, Airstream parts, arts and crafts to sell or trade.
Attached Images

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Texas Highland Lakes Unit is hosting The Texas Vintage Airstream Rally on May 12 - 16, 2011 at Tres Rios River Ranch at Glen Rose, Texas. We have moved the rally from February to May in anticipation of more predictable weather.

Rally brochure

THIS IS THE ONE event held each year where WBCCI members and non-members, Vintage owners and owners with newer trailers can all come together in celebration of our Airstreams...
We're in - Surprisingly, there has already been some discussion amongst the "marginal members" in Houston of gathering saddles, spurs, mules, and lariats for this get together. Who knows what may happen this year.

John - Excellent job on the brochure and putting it out in plenty time for those of us still "working" to plan and put it on the calendar.

After our great "Blanco Christmas Rally" this year I can confidently say there will be several "younger" families with kids harnessed up in attendance at Glen Rose.

Thanks to the Highland Lakes Unit for breaking out the cost for daily parking and decreased cost for those that can only make it there for the weekend. Hopefully this will encourage more families to attend. Any plans for entertaining the younger Buckaroos on Friday or Saturday?

I know of several recent or about to be road worthy AS's in West Houston - might have to form a "trail ride" a la' the Houston Rodeo to get to the round up in Glen Rose.

Yea Ha - gettum up mule!

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
Contributing Member

Disclaimer

I have to credit Judy Hazen who did the brochure.

Good idea for kid's activities. I'll pass this on to the rally chairman.

I might add that we will have one night of entertainment as part of the rally. The second night will be the Bluegrass jam that occurs each week at the campground.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Well bummer. I believe I have my finals that week, and will not be able to make it.

Steve
Old 12-16-2010, 11:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Is there a rate for day visitors?
Old 12-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Thumbs up Wouldn't Miss It

This will be the 4th THLU Vintage Rally I have attended. I look forward to another great opportunity to tour many wonderful vintage Airstreams, and to visit with their owners.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
Is there a rate for day visitors?
The open house Saturday and the flea market are open to all, no charge.

We do not occupy the whole park and therefore anyone can drop by and visit friends at no charge, however you must have a rally badge to attend any seminars, meals, entertainment, etc.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Rally Venue

Never been there, but the campground is attractive if you want to believe what is shown on the internet.

Tres Rios Website:

Tres Rios River Ranch

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Quote:
The open house Saturday and the flea market are open to all, no charge.

We do not occupy the whole park and therefore anyone can drop by and visit friends at no charge, however you must have a rally badge to attend any seminars, meals, entertainment, etc.
How much is a rally badge for a day visitor?
Old 12-16-2010, 12:34 PM   #10
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
How much is a rally badge for a day visitor?
We have not had day passes in the past vintage rallies. If you have a specific day that you could come, I would advise that you email Texas Highland Lakes Unit with your request and see what they come up with. I would wait till the schedule is posted (usually a few weeks prior to the rally) so that you know what seminars and other activities are planned.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #11
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH View Post
Never been there, but the campground is attractive if you want to believe what is shown on the internet.
Tres Rios Website:
Tres Rios River Ranch
It is not a fancy park like Montgomery, but it is a nice place to hold a rally. We have had Region rallies there and stopped on the way to rallies elsewhere. Look for gravel roads and sites and rustic buildings. Fair number of trees. There is/was a little cafe on the grounds.

Dinosaur State Park is just a couple of miles away. Some good exhibits and real dino tracks in the bed of the Paluxy River. The city of Glenrose is about 15 miles north with great shopping, theater, and restaurants.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #12
Contributing Member

Aerial view and map to park

This will give you an idea of the park and its surroundings.

Tres Rios Ranch View

Caution: There is a load-limited bridge on county road 312, just west of the park boundary. Light vintage trailers are OK. If you have a heavy rig, turn south off 67 at Farm to Market 200, east of the park, and approach the park from the east on CR 312.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #13
Contributing Member

New Seminars

We will have a seminar on cabinet and interior construction and finishing. Luther Price, a retired owner of a cabinet making shop, and myself will present. We will demo techniques such as pocket-hole face-frame construction.

I am now looking for an insurance representative in the area who can speak on insuring vintage Airstreams with agreed-value policies.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:

I am now looking for an insurance representative in the area who can speak on insuring vintage Airstreams with agreed-value policies.
This will be god information. Someone record it for me.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Should be nice. Don't forget the Koffee Kup in Hico, Hard 8 or Tumbleweed BBQ in Stephenville, the spectacular views from Chalk Mountain turnout/rest area off 67 (near Spur 220 from 281), and enjoy the stay in the shadow of Comanche Peak Nuclear. I'm still surprised that this area has turned into commuting territory for Fort Worth. One of the great books about Texas was written by Glen Rose resident John Graves, Goodbye to a River (about the Brazos del Dios).

With any luck the drought will lift and you all should still have decent flowers with that date!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:12 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1960 24' Tradewind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
I would like to attend. I will fill out the Rally form and mail in. Is there anything else I need to do?
bjwagenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:35 AM   #17
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjwagenor View Post
I would like to attend. I will fill out the Rally form and mail in. Is there anything else I need to do?
That is all that is required except for actually showing up at the rally.

We will keep you updated on this thread and post a detail schedule as rally time approaches.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-30-2010, 07:45 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
This will be god information. Someone record it for me.
That's a great idea, Steve.

I know the 4CU has recorded seminars and workshops from their annual vintage resto rally, and from the demos I saw in person at the Texas Vintage two years ago, the information is quite valuable. If someone from THLU or any other attendee of the Texas Vintage were to record some of the seminars/workshops, I bet THLU could generate some revenue by packaging and distributing.

I definitely want to try to make it this year, will depend on work schedules for my wife and me.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:48 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I think I'll be going for the Saturday, Marcus, so if you can't go for the weekend, you're welcome to hitch a ride.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #20
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
I have it penned in on my calendar. Hope to attend for a few nights at least. Looking forward to the schedule of events. I'll be sending in the registration this week. If I can help in any way, please let me know.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rally, texas, vintage