Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #41
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Tentative schedule

Attached is the day to day schedule as it stands as of 4/18. It looks like we will probably be adding one more seminar on restoration to what is on the schedule. We should know that shortly.

As it is, it looks like a busy weekend with plenty to do for the ladies.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Texas Vintage Airstream Schedule.pdf (69.6 KB, 81 views)
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
scared me....check the date on the schedule.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #43
Contributing Member

Whoops!

I received this schedule from Harvey and never looked at the date. Please change that March to May!

Corrected schedule attached:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Texas Vintage Airstream Schedule.pdf (105.3 KB, 67 views)
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #44
Contributing Member

Rally Booklet

The first draft of the rally booklet is attached.

Rally time is getting really close. Please get registrations in so that we have a good count of attendees. You can get registration forms at either thlu.org or wbregion9.org home pages.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2011 THLU Vintage Program.pdf (205.6 KB, 70 views)
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Looks like if I stop by it will only be to say hello. We'll see how it ends up going with my travel plans.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #46

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I hope to be able to come for the Open House on Sunday. My partner is graduating from med school on Saturday, so lots of family will be in town, etc. but if things are calm by midday Sunday I'll head down to Glen Rose to see all the trailers and hopefully meet some fellow forum denizens in person.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
I'm still thinking about it... I'm debating towing the Overlander up with a Camco Eza-lift with sway control on the wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee... Before all the dagger start flying on that topic, my own gut isn't comfortable with that given the short wheelbase on the Jeep. I'd be comfortable with it if I had a PP or a Hensley on there, as the 5.7 Hemi is plenty of power for a light vintage unit. It's the wheelbase that makes me a bit hesitant...

We'll see. I got lots of other irons to work at the moment and this one get's picked up for a good distraction.
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:39 PM   #48

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit View Post
I'm still thinking about it... I'm debating towing the Overlander up with a Camco Eza-lift with sway control on the wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee... Before all the dagger start flying on that topic, my own gut isn't comfortable with that given the short wheelbase on the Jeep. I'd be comfortable with it if I had a PP or a Hensley on there, as the 5.7 Hemi is plenty of power for a light vintage unit. It's the wheelbase that makes me a bit hesitant...

We'll see. I got lots of other irons to work at the moment and this one get's picked up for a good distraction.
You already towed it 1500 miles with the truck, what's a couple hundred more?

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 04-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
I've towed a '63 Trade Wind over 20,000 miles with a Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel with no problems. I use an Equalizer hitch and have never experienced sway even in extreme crosswinds. Your 5.7 L has the same torque and horsepower as my diesel. I seldom drive over 65 mph.

My Dad towed a '62 Overlander with a Jeep Wagoneer in the late 60's with nary a problem.

The short wheelbase becomes more of a problem as the weight of the Airstream models increase with the newer models.
WBCCI #1200
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:23 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Master View Post
I've towed a '63 Trade Wind over 20,000 miles with a Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel with no problems. I use an Equalizer hitch and have never experienced sway even in extreme crosswinds. Your 5.7 L has the same torque and horsepower as my diesel. I seldom drive over 65 mph.

My Dad towed a '62 Overlander with a Jeep Wagoneer in the late 60's with nary a problem.

The short wheelbase becomes more of a problem as the weight of the Airstream models increase with the newer models.
Hi GrandMaster, yes I was reading up on some of your prior posts earlier today. I wish I had the 3.0 mercedes diesel, but I couldn't justify the cost per mile versus gas based on the miles we drive in it. Maybe I'll try it this weekend... I haven't looked on our jeep, but did you have a plug in wire harness for the brake controller or did you have to hard wire it in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
You already towed it 1500 miles with the truck, what's a couple hundred more?
Hi David,

Yeah - I figure if I do decide to bring both trailers I'll have Prim drive the F250 with Cosmo so I can deal with any issues in towing with the Jeep.... The Overlander didn't feel like anything behind the F250 when I brought it back, but boy you can sure tell when Cosmo's hooked up. Cosmo has to go on a diet and loose some weight!
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #51

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit View Post
Hi David,

Yeah - I figure if I do decide to bring both trailers I'll have Prim drive the F250 with Cosmo so I can deal with any issues in towing with the Jeep.... The Overlander didn't feel like anything behind the F250 when I brought it back, but boy you can sure tell when Cosmo's hooked up. Cosmo has to go on a diet and loose some weight!
Oh, that's right. Shows how good my memory is... I read every post about your new-to-you Overlander but managed to forget you'd need a sleepin' trailer in addition to the showin' trailer.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Rally attendence is a dynamic thing

Alright....it looks again like I am going to surely be there now. I was concerned about a few things, but I have worked them out.

I am taking my final exams early this year, and heading to the Republic on May 5th. Likely I'll overnight in north Dallas the 5th at TxToaster's place, and head to San Antonio the following day. This will give me time to unpack the uhaul trailer and organize my things. We think we will have Amy take leave on Friday the 12th, pull Collin out of school as well, and head up the 11th to stay either in the cabins or a nearby motel.

I will be providing leak testing, but this is really about getting the family to an Airstream event to meet a bunch of people since we are streamless. This is also a good chance to take Collin to the Dinosaur State park nearby.

Steve
Old 04-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #53
Eharv

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Austin , Texas
Great! We're looking forward to having you all ! It should be a lot of fun and am certain that you will make some new friends.
TAC # NM-4
GOOD SAM CLUB Life # 4704
eharv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
ARGGGH!!!! You have to be kidding me. So Amy calls her First Sergeant this evening to say she is putting in leave for that Friday, and is reminded..you have BATTLE ASSEMBLY that weekend. Battle assembly is the new word for "Drill" in the Army. She is the only active full timer at the unit, and HAS to be there. I don't know what i am going to do now. I'll keep my reservation till I figure it out, but without her, I cannot have my son there as he will be unsupervised.

I feel like John Kerry right now.

Steve
Old 04-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
How do we sign up. I must have missed that.

Don Hardman
1976 31" Sovereign
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #56
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
How do we sign up. I must have missed that.

Don Hardman
1976 31" Sovereign
Registration coupons are available on the home pages at thlu.org or wbregion9.org.

Please register asap so that we have a good count for the meals and sites. You can email vintage@thlu.org and say that the registration is on the way.
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #57
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
are there any spots left for Thurs-Sun? I am contemplating signing up if there are.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #58
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMarkhams70 View Post
are there any spots left for Thurs-Sun? I am contemplating signing up if there are.
No limit on spots. We can take all who register. If you are going to register, please email vintage@thlu.org and let them know so we can plan meals and sites.
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-30-2011, 11:18 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Texas Highland Lakes Unit is hosting The Texas Vintage Airstream Rally on May 12 - 16, 2011 at Tres Rios River Ranch at Glen Rose, Texas. We have moved the rally from February to May in anticipation of more predictable weather.

Rally brochure

THIS IS THE ONE event held each year where WBCCI members and non-members, Vintage owners and owners with newer trailers can all come together in celebration of our Airstreams.

Tres Rios River Ranch in Glen Rose, TX is a family friendly campground with some shaded sites, large dining hall, and big covered pavilions for group gatherings. You may want to come a day early to take advantage of local golfing or the Dinosaur Park.

As before, A pot luck meal with meat furnished, two catered dinners and daily coffee service are included in the rally fee. Special daily seminars on topics of interest to everyone – vintage enthusiasts as well as owners of newer models. Public Open House on Saturday will showcase vintage Airstreams. There will be a Swap and Sell Meet (Flea Market) Bring your treasures, Airstream parts, arts and crafts to sell or trade.

I want to come, despite our Caravel is starting a renovation and in the shop. So do we need to make a reservation, we would be staying off site since we do not have a RV, and hubbie doesn't tent camp.

Jerri from CS
jerbear315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #60
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear315 View Post
I want to come, despite our Caravel is starting a renovation and in the shop. So do we need to make a reservation, we would be staying off site since we do not have a RV, and hubbie doesn't tent camp.

Jerri from CS
Staying off-site is just fine, however you do need a reservation so that we can plan meals, seminar seating, and other factors. We really need to know how many people we are working with. Just pay the rally fee for the number of people that are coming.

Mail your reservation and let vintage@thlu.org know via email since we are in the process of finalizing the catering.
WBCCI #9632

Tags
rally, texas, vintage