Old 07-02-2003, 01:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
The electric service provided by WBCCI is enough to keep batteries charged and maybe run a small fan. I have decided we will have to be off-site at all future International rallies we attend, because I'm not dealing with the heat again.

Maybe we could park at the same campground as any other forum members planning to attend, but park off-site.

Old 07-02-2003, 01:55 PM   #16
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Malcolm & Katalin,

There is almost allways a way to get early parking. If you want to be parked with other members of your WBCCI unit, see if they are offering a caravan to the rally. Another way to get in early is to volunteer to be a helper of some sort. The main rally functions do not start before the opening day of the rally, but there are many things to do in Lansing itself.

I am not aware of the actual activities that are offered for kids, there is a youth director and I think this years big kids event was a cruise.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 03:58 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Springfield, Mo - WBCCI International Rally, 2005

Greetings Malcolm & Katalin!

Typically, the parking dates for pre-registered attendees who have not volunteered for committee assignments are June 25 and 26. I have pre-registered for each of the International Rallys since 1998, and have always received a parking date of June 25. Another incentive to pre-register is participation in the door-prize drawing for those who pre-register before the deadline (usually January 1) - - prizes are usually gift certificates to the Airstream store or WBCCI goodies.

There are usually near daily activities for the youth in attendance at International. I have parked near the Emericks (two daughters who are now teenagers) every year since '99, and their daughters have been involved in WBCCI affiliated activities on a near daily basis. The youth director and her committee work very hard to insure that the youth will enjoy the rally, and from what I have observed most do. The specific activities have varied tremendously from one rally to the next depending upon what was available locally, but some that I remember have included swim parties, bowling, trip to a zoo and arboretum, museum visits, a trip to an amusement park, a teen sock hop, and my list is far from complete. I am single an do not have children, but as a high school teacher I have quite a bit of practice observing the reactions of young people.

Problems with my tow vehicles as well as a few problems getting my trailer ready kept me from making the trip to Vermont, but I will be in Lansing as well as Springfield. I may be kicking myself, but I am planning to park on-site at Lansin; but know that I will be seeking off-site parking at Springfield.

I am confident that you and your family will enjoy the International Rally.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 10:30 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Springfield rally

I just returned home early from the rally in Vermont. Several people told me that WBCCI plans to rent huge generators [ like they have at FMCA rallies] for the rally at Springfield. Of course, there will be an extra fee for their use.
By the way, we Airstreamers seem to bring the hot weather with us to the International Rally. We had two 90 plus days last week in Burlington

Cliff in Indiana
Old 07-02-2003, 11:14 PM   #19

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Hurray! I know some folks in our unit worked over one of the International VP's who attended the Region 8 rally about the need for portable power. I'll have to check with one of our members, who volunteered to help design a portable setup to see if he was drafted to work on this. I'll follow up if I can get some confirmation.

Thanks for the info.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 07:16 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Jack, have them talk to Agrekko. These folks do a lot of business in the Cleveland area. I see them at concerts, and the cell phone co's use them to provide power for cell site before the local utility can wire the sites. This would be right up their alley. Their gensets are SUPER quiet.
Agrekko Website
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 09:06 AM   #21

Fenton , Missouri
Thanks, if he is working on this project I'll pass this along.

Personally even if they provide power at the site, I'll still probably stay in Branson. I'd rather be parked under an oak forest in my favorite campground down there than sitting on an open field.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 07-03-2003, 10:13 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Uhhhh has any units thought about buy a large Generator?

These sometimes show up at Military auction and it's quite possible that you land one that could run 20 units with A/C for $1500. It may need some work. Typical Military it didn't start let it sit for 10 years then send it to auction.

There are 12 96KW gensets for sale in TX right now. most of them with under 1000hrs This batch is around $5k each but these all look fully functional. They are all about 7 years old.

Some older units in OK that are going dirt cheap but do list that they may need repair. they have a 30kw listed that is high bid at $110.00 They have a 100kw still under $300.

Put them on a trailer, build a enclosure around it and put a BIG muffler on them and you got plenty of juice for about what it will cost for 2-3 ralley's to have somebody bring in power or get the local power company to set up.

https://www.gsaauctions.gov/index.jsp

Here is another ligit auction site.
http://www.govliquidation.com/

I know people that have bought from both of those sites and no reported problems.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 07:48 AM   #23

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by Pick
Jack, have them talk to Agrekko. These folks do a lot of business in the Cleveland area. I see them at concerts, and the cell phone co's use them to provide power for cell site before the local utility can wire the sites. This would be right up their alley. Their gensets are SUPER quiet.
Agrekko Website
Thanks! I passed this information on to the International folks who responded with a thanks and that they would pass on to the appropriate folks planning this rally. With this response I think the generator power is in their plans. I noticed that Aggreko has an office in St. Louis and Kansas City so it looks like this may be a good source.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56
Old 06-12-2004, 03:36 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Hillsboro , Texas
Springfield, Missouri, the site of the 50th "Golden" Anniversary International Rally, will offer 30 AMP electricity for the nominal sum of just $125.00 for the entire lenght of your stay no matter how long or short. Being parked on the grounds of an electric utility has its rewards!

Also, for young families with more than two children, the rally fee will be free for any children after two. We would like to make the International Rally a summer destination for family vacations.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

For those of you who want/need full hookups, here are the Springfield area RV parks: [Note - I have no connection with or actual knowledge about any of these parks]

Cooks RV Park and Storage 417-833-1252
About four miles north of I-44 on H highway. Looks clean enough. Very small (14 pads). Possibly the closest RV park to both the convention site downtown and the
WBCCI caravan site.

KOA - 800-KOA-1228. 417-831-1759
Remember the movie “Planes, Trains, and Automobiles”? It could have been filmed on location right here. One of the busiest BNSF rail lines runs just past. The Springfield
Regional airport is just three or four miles north, and the KOA is right in the flight path. I-44 and all the truck noise is also nearby. By reputation, it is a well run campground,
though. Springfield’s largest RV park, I believe.

Paradise in the Woods. 417-859-2175.
In Strafford. Strafford is seven miles east of Springfield, on I44, not far east of the WBCCI campground. I’ve only seen it through the trees. Fairly new, I think.

RV Park Strafford. 417-736-3382.
Very popular with overnighters. Right off I-44 and easy six or seven mile drive on a secondary road to the WBCCI site.

Traveler’s RV park. 417-866-4226
Not far from the KOA, but said to be less affected by the trains and so forth. I’ve never seen it.

Silver Belle. 417-753-2941
East of Springfield on US 60, but easy access to the WBCCI campground (nine or ten miles?), and not bad for getting to the convention center. Very attractive mobile home park with 20 or so RV sites. Right on the highway, but many pads are shaded. Maybe all are.

Ozark Highlands. 417-881-0066.
Possibly a sleeper. In southeast Springfield. This is a very well run and very attractive mobile home park. It is right next to a major shopping center with a WalMart Superstore, Post Office, Blockbuster, Home Depot, Staples, and maybe a dozen restaurants. All can be reached on foot. Unfortunately, the RV sites are at the back of
the park, next to open, bare land. Easy access to the convention center.

Ozark, Mo., a few miles south of town, has a couple of RV parks, one a new one right next to Lambert’s Restaurant (“Home of Throw’d Rolls”). I don’t even know the names, sorry.

Branson and all the attractions, lakes, and all their RV parks is 35 miles south of Springfield, all four lane road. However, keep in mind that the WBCCI location is on the
NORTH side of Springfield, another 10 miles. And the downtown convention center is, well, downtown.

If you don’t mind the drive, one of my favorite get aways is Bennett Springs State Park, about 45 miles east of Springfield, north of I-44 about 15 miles. Trout fishing, hiking, lovely shaded campsites up on the hill (electric only. Full hookup pull throughs on the river.). Roaring River, 50 miles southwest is a great weekend trout park as well, but would be a much tougher commute. You might want to try one or both coming or going.

Me? I'll be "camped" at home, enjoying the air conditioning.

Mark
Old 06-13-2004, 12:36 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Question

Jim,
Is the 125.00 for the 30 amp electric in additon to the rally fee, or is it part of the rally fee?
Marie
Old 06-13-2004, 01:32 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Hillsboro , Texas
Hello Marie:

The $125.00 30 AMP fee is in addition to the rally fee. We started to bump up the rally fee to include the 30 AMP but felt that members would want a choice.