Old 02-25-2004, 09:39 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Something New With the WBCCI International Rally?

I was just surfing the Vintage Airstream Club web site and ran across an announcement that I hadn't expected to see. It seems that the WBCCI International Rally at Lansing, MI is going to be a "Buddy Rally" open to every Airstream owner whether a member of WBCCI or not. You can see the announcement at:

Vintage Airstream Club

This might provide an opportunity for some to experience one of the premiere WBCCI events without the overhead of having to first join the organization. I checked the WBCCI site and couldn't find any additional information there - - my Blue Beret is in the Argosy so I didn't have the chance to check to see if I missed something when I read the latest issue.

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:26 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Florida State was that way as well. Since The FSR is normally the 2nd biggest next to international I think that the WBCCI is trying to open it's arms to all owners. I would assume they figure that if they can show non members that the rally is a good time they may be able to add to the member rolls.

Buddy rally is not the correct term though. A buddy rally would allow ANY RV owner regardless of brand to attend, I would assume that the "buddy" needs to be in an Airstream based on the wording on the VAC site.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 11:10 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Are most unit rallys open to all airstremer/argosy owners, as a way of checking out the club? I can see if someone regularly attended and never joined, that would be a problem, but for the most part are visitors welcome to come see what it's all about?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 11:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Are most unit rallys open to all airstremer/argosy owners, as a way of checking out the club?
Yes, they should be (ours are)...but like you pointed out, there are always a few that like to come to the rallies but never join. We've had to insist that one rally ought to be enough for someone to determine whether they want to be associated with our unit or not. If they want to attend a second...they really should join for the year.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 04:41 AM   #5
nds
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thenewkid64
Florida State was that way as well. Since The FSR is normally the 2nd biggest next to international I think that the WBCCI is trying to open it's arms to all owners. I would assume they figure that if they can show non members that the rally is a good time they may be able to add to the member rolls.

Buddy rally is not the correct term though. A buddy rally would allow ANY RV owner regardless of brand to attend, I would assume that the "buddy" needs to be in an Airstream based on the wording on the VAC site.
"The International Rally is open to all Airstream owners. That's right, the International is a "buddy" rally this year.

International Rally, Lansing Michigan, June 28 - July 4, 2004. Open to NON-MEMBER AIRSTREAM OWNERS!

The way that reads, to me, is that it's opened to all Airstream owners. I don't think they mean any RV.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:21 AM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
This is from the WBCCI Bylaws and was the reasoning behind my post questioning the use of the term Buddy rally

The non-member RV family to be invited is intended to be one which is a prospective member and one which does not own an Airstream. The family is invited to the buddy rally or caravan to introduce them to the WBCCI "Way of Life" and the unit members in the hope they might decide to purchase an Airstream and join the club. A buddy rally is not intended to be used by current or past WBCCI members to attend a WBCCI rally in their non-Airstream vehicles. (7/5/02)

I understand why the International is doing it, I just think that calling it a buddy rally is opening a can of worms regarding the way that the club defines buddies. The two statements made together on the VAC site contradict each other in this regard.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote