Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Shrine Pass boondock Rally?

I've spoken with Jerry about an idea to have a Rally at the top of the Shrine Pass on the border of Eagle, and Summit Co Colorado. From the e-mail I received it sounds like a Lizard Head Pass Rally would be difficult this year. The Shrine Pass offers fairly easy access. You just take the visitor center exit at the top of the Vail pass then take the Shrine Pass road to some very nice BLM, or National Forest land at the top of the Pass. Nice mountain views, a nature walk, hiking trails, 2 small lakes to fish from, and the area offers the ability to either take a gravel downhill bike trail, or a paved trail that leads from the top of the Vail Pass. Either way we could spot a truck or two to bring everyone back up. I spoke with the Ranger district today and was told the area was o.k. for camping. They're going to get back with me to specify some suggested spots. There is a group that I deal with called the Friends of the Dillon Ranger district who said they'd be interested in scheduling an event such as a nature walk if our group would be interested. If I did this it would need to be in the middle of June. I'm still open to any other boon docking suggestions though? How many people would be interested in this?

Charlie
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Charlie, Sounds like some great options. Why not pick a weekend of your preference to see how many would like to join in?
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
How about June 20th-22cd? That should give it time to warm up enough. I liked the idea of the bike ride that you mentioned earlier. I could get my wife to coordinate a dinner on Sat. I know a grocery store mgr. who can hook us up with some nice steaks.
Charlie
Old 03-26-2008, 09:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Sounds good.
This thread will scoll off the active page after awhile and needs to be bumped occasionally to keep it visible.
AIR #10274
Old 03-30-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Lamy , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacerized
How about June 20th-22cd? That should give it time to warm up enough. I liked the idea of the bike ride that you mentioned earlier. I could get my wife to coordinate a dinner on Sat. I know a grocery store mgr. who can hook us up with some nice steaks.
Charlie
Pencil us in for this one. Assuming monsters do not rear their ugly heads and throw the schedule off.

TAC NM-1
Four Corners Unit Treasurer
WBCCI 5279, AIR #24915
KF5RGU
Howard E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Steaks!

Quote:
I liked the idea of the bike ride that you mentioned earlier. I could get my wife to coordinate a dinner on Sat. I know a grocery store mgr. who can hook us up with some nice steaks.
Charlie
Steaks are nice, beats hot dogs.
AIR #10274
Old 03-31-2008, 08:35 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Thanks for posting the link on the website Jerry. Are you and Carol going to be able to make it? Glad to see that you can make it Howard. I just had an e-mail from the Whitcombs that they'll be there so we're up to 3, and 4 if you'll be making it. I also have some friends from Fairplay that have been working on their 1969 airstream for the past 2 years. They think they'll have it ready for the road in a few weeks so I invited them. It will be their first outing with their Airstream.
The ranger district got back with me Friday to suggest some specific locations. I'm going to drive up the pass this week to check out those areas. We're looking at between 10,300-11,089' depending on where we set up camp, which may be a little higher up then the Lizard head pass was last year at the same time of year. I'd like to know what everyone thinks about have the friends of the ranger district put on a talk, or nature walk as they've volunteered to do. I'm definitely into the downhill bike ride which ever path we choose, and fishing can be done at anyone's leisure.
Charlie
Old 04-02-2008, 06:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
A sign up page for this rally has been created at;
http://www.airforums.com/forums/cale...&day=2008-6-20
AIR #10274
Old 04-02-2008, 07:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Too much snow?

Hey Charlie,
There may be too much snow to do much exploring this week. I am doubtful that we will make this rally, but the more options, the better.

Quote:
Thanks for posting the link on the website Jerry. Are you and Carol going to be able to make it? I'm going to drive up the pass this week to check out those areas. We're looking at between 10,300-11,089' depending on where we set up camp.
Charlie
AIR #10274
Old 04-07-2008, 08:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
This rally is being offered by the Four Corners Unit and it is open to all WBCCI members.
AIR #10274
Old 04-07-2008, 08:30 AM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We are interested, but aren't WBCCI members either. We've been spending so much money on things for the Safari since we bought it, we've avoided spending even more. Maybe we have to look at that again.

If we were to come, we couldn't be there until Saturday morning (retirement means being on too many committees and boards; nobody told me about that). Will the area be available until Monday morning?

I believe Shrine Pass has been made a special FS fee area. I saw some signs several years ago. Many years ago I crosscountry skied there a couple of times and have driven the Shrine Pass Rd. Beautiful area. Maybe the fees are only during ski season.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Maybe we have to look at that again

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
We are interested, but aren't WBCCI members either. We've been spending so much money on things for the Safari since we bought it, we've avoided spending even more. Maybe we have to look at that again.

If we were to come, we couldn't be there until Saturday morning (retirement means being on too many committees and boards; nobody told me about that). Will the area be available until Monday morning?

I believe Shrine Pass has been made a special FS fee area. I saw some signs several years ago. Many years ago I crosscountry skied there a couple of times and have driven the Shrine Pass Rd. Beautiful area. Maybe the fees are only during ski season.

Gene
Gene,
I have XC skied the Shrine Pass road also and spotted a truck down at Red Cliffs so we could have an essentially all down hill day.

Membership in the WBCCI opens up lots of opportunities for rallies.
Here is a list of membership benefits;
Four Corners Unit » Membership Info

Here is a link to all the Units that have websites on the new wbcci.net
Wally Byam Caravan Club International (WBCCI) the Airstream RV Owners Association - Websites for Units, Regions, Intraclubs, Caravans and Rallies

The older domain is wbcci.org
WBCCI.org
Here is the Denver Unit
WBCCI DenCO Unit - "The" Denver Airstream Club

Check out the activities that are being offered. I expect you can find something that appeals.

I don't know about fees for the Shrine Pass area. Maybe someone else knows?
AIR #10274
Old 04-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #13
_

. , .
hey guys thanks for making this thread public.

i can't find a good link or map on line to the blm area there.

where exactly is it, i know there is a a couple of parking areas for day use up there, it that the spot?

how much space it there and can i get my long hog into it.

i'm familiar with windy point? cg near lake dillon but not the public access grounds for shrine pass.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #14
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
A little history, 2air. Shrine Pass was the original route across that part of the central Rockies in Colorado. It is south and a bit west of Vail Pass. The road goes to Minturn. Back in the 1930's, Charles Vail was the state's highway boss and wanted to cut a new route and thus US 40 and 6 were routed over what became known as Vail Pass. I haven't driven it in years, but I recall that there are wide meadows near or at tree line where it starts near I 70 and after a couple of miles, it starts down. It's a good gravel road through alpine forest and eventually Canadian zone. I don't remember anything difficult for towing a trailer the entire length of the road, but I may have forgotten. I'm sure others can give more details and maybe some of mine are wrong.

Gene
Old 04-07-2008, 05:22 PM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Whoops

US 40 doesn't go that way. It goes over Berthold Pass and on to Kremmling and Dinosaur NM and SLC. My bad.

Gene
Old 04-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
I'm not sure if the land we'll be on is BLM or national forest land. The pass serves as a border between ranger districts. The Dillon Ranger district has given their blessing to the rally and recommended a couple of areas. We've had some significant snowfall in the past few days so I'm waiting for a couple of sunny days to clear things up before I go up to see the areas they've mentioned. I think it may depend on how many people plan on attending as to which area we set up camp in. The first area is very near the nature walk and parking area you mention. Not to worry it's still very much boon docking in a large open area at the base of the forest that could handle dozens of airstreams. The other area is near some old cabins that are too far gone to be called a ghost town. It would be about 1-2 miles further in and could handle a smaller group. Both areas of the pass are really close to tree line but still forested with no pine beetle kill the last time I checked. At this altitude it's mostly spruce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hey guys thanks for making this thread public.
i can't find a good link or map on line to the blm area there.
where exactly is it, i know there is a a couple of parking areas for day use up there, it that the spot?
how much space it there and can i get my long hog into it.
i'm familiar with windy point? cg near lake dillon but not the public access grounds for shrine pass.
cheers
2air'
Old 04-07-2008, 06:11 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
The area would be open for camping with no fees. I think you're allowed up to 14 days so no problem in staying until Mon.
Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Gene
Old 04-12-2008, 11:02 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Charlie,

Add the Whitcombs to your list of coming. Thank you.

Bob and Lou
bolou97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:17 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolou97
Charlie,

Add the Whitcombs to your list of coming. Thank you.

Bob and Lou
We have you penciled in which puts us up to 3 now. I know there must be more Airstreamers that like to really camp then that. Who needs power, and water? Great views at 11,000', hiking, biking, fishing.....
Anyone interested????

Charlie
Old 04-12-2008, 05:22 PM   #20
_

. , .
hey charlie

put me down as a definite maybe.

still gotta find/see some good maps n aerials n pix of the location.

the primary issue with sleeping at that altitude is alcohol is usually not recommended.

so how close is the nearest 5,000 ft valley?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote