Old 06-15-2008, 06:04 PM   #71
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Count us in

Charlie,

Terri and I will be there Friday evening through Sunday. I just signed us up. We will be coming up from Colo Springs as soon as we can get out of work. The Leadville, Turquoise Lake, Half Moon Creek is one of favorites. Let us know where to look for you.

Thanks much,

Colo_StreamN
K0JEH,
WBCCI # 5630

Pikes Peak, Colorado
FCU
TAC CO-1
Colo_StreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:04 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
It looks like the majority consensus is for Turquoise lake, so lets make it official. I think everyone will be very pleased with the location once you see it. The views are every bit as good as the spot I had selected for the Shrine Pass.
For directions, if you have a gps you may try the coordinates I posted earlier. If not the 2 ways to come in would be from I 70, or from hwy 24 for those coming up hwy 285 from the south.
From I 70 on the west side take the Minturn/Leadville exit which is hwy 24. Drive 30 miles until you hit the first stop light upon arriving in Leadville (You'll see a Safeway at this intersection). Turn right on Mountain view drive, take this to CR9D where you turn left. Take CR9D to Turquoise lake rd and turn right. Turquoise lake rd turns into 48, take 48 until you see a gravel road that veers to the left while the paved road veers right. Take this left which is Dunn Ditch road for approx. 1 mile, it will then turn to the left and split, take the lower road at this point and you're at the camping area. This a google map link to the site. Google Maps
The other option coming from I 70 on the east side would be to take the Copper mnt. exit hwy 91 as Gene described, it will still take take you to Mountain view rd. as your first intersection in Leadville.

For those coming from the south just take 24 through leadville until you see the Safeway at the intersection of hwy 24 and Mountain view road and turn left there. Then follow the directions above.

The directions make it sound much more difficult then it actually is to find. I'll be set up at the campsite on Thursday night. I'll pm my cell phone # to the 2 people that I haven't given it to yet. I get reception at the campsite. If anyone would like I'd recommend calling me and I'll meet you at the Safeway so you can follow me in. On your way in from the south you may not get a signal until you're near the s. end of Leadville. For those coming up I 70 you will only have a signal through the town of Minturn with nothing for the remaining 30 miles to Leadville.
Since this is so lengthy I'll follow this post with some general recommendations for what to bring, and possible things to do.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:06 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colo_StreamN View Post
Charlie,

Terri and I will be there Friday evening through Sunday. I just signed us up. We will be coming up from Colo Springs as soon as we can get out of work. The Leadville, Turquoise Lake, Half Moon Creek is one of favorites. Let us know where to look for you.

Thanks much,
Welcome to the Rally, it's nice to have you.
We're up to 8 now with a possibility of #9.
Charlie
Old 06-15-2008, 06:20 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Charlie, thanks again for all your work on this. When I got to Google Maps I had to fool around for a while, but it worked to use "Leadville" for the start point and "Turquoise Lake" as the end point. You can see Dunn Ditch Rd. on the map and print it. It is easier than it sounds when you read Charlie's instructions. I think the best thing it to take 6th Ave. west in downtown Leadville and just do the obvious from the map, but I think Charlie's directions work too. Mtn. View Rd. is also on the map.

Gene
Old 06-15-2008, 09:28 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
I'll be arriving at our site on Thursday evening. If anyone else could be there that early it might help in staking off our area. There's more room then could ever fill up the area, and I only saw 3 RVs and a tent camper yesterday, but I hope someone doesn't pull a big RV next to the area we select.

As far as what to bring.
Firewood: We won't be able to use a bundle from everyone but bring some in case.
Chairs, and a table if possible. There are no picnic tables when boon docking. We'll need to put some tables together for the meals.
Fill your propane tanks. We're camping at 9720' according my my Garmin. I don't expect it to be very cold, but then again I live at 9200' so I'm used to it. I'm told propane is available at the Shell station in Leadville. The forecast is calling for highs in the 60's with lows from 38 to the lower 40's.
I'm friends with the store mgr. at the Safeway. If you want to save weight on towing you can fill up your water tanks there, she'll be expecting us.
I'd pack for a variety of temps., light jacket ect.

Meals:
I'd like to know how many people are in each party. So far I have Gene, Howard. I'm under the impression that Bolou97, and their friends John, and Rita are each a party of 2. If everyone else could confirm I'd appreciate it.
I'll be providing the steaks for the dinner on Sat. and can bring the potatoes as well, but we'll need to use a couple of ovens. If anyone would like to volunteer desert and another side that would be nice.
We'll have people filtering in throughout Friday. I'm open to just doing things individually, or having a pitch in if enough people will be there in time.
Would anyone like to volunteer to plan a breakfast either Sat., or Sun. morning?
If anyone likes wine a cheese snack tray is always nice.
Other then the sat. dinner these are just suggestions, I'm open to any ideas.

Since this is turning into a book I'll make a separate post for possible activities.

Charlie
Old 06-15-2008, 09:48 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
O.K. activities.

We have fishing of course in either the river by the campsite or the Turquoise lake.
The roads in the area are o.k. for mountain bike riding, but we could load up the bikes in a couple of trucks to go to a better trail if anyone is interested.
The Independence pass is open with the ghost town of Independence for a nice short trip.
We're close to the mt. Princeton hot springs if anyone is interested, just bring a bathing suite. I like this hot springs because it's never crowded, and has the best price of any hot springs I know of.
Leadville is an unusual mountain town. It does offer a lot of historically buildings, and a unique main street. I believe the train is running but I've never taken it. Here's a link on things to do in Leadville if anyone is interested. Things to do in Leadville, CO & Leadville Attractions . - Yahoo! Travel
Summit county, and Vail are just 45 minutes away also.

Of course everyone can just do their own thing, or we can car pool for things like the Indy pass.

I had planned my suggestions for the Shrine pass earlier, and I'm open to any other suggestions. Some of you have lived in Colorado much longer then I have.
Charlie
Old 06-16-2008, 03:00 PM   #77
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
from Coal Bank Pass

Thanks for the invite. Count me as a probable to very likely (95%). I will be more than happy to provide a side of my black beans, also I have a folding picnic table, and generator for anyone needing topped off.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:56 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Lamy , New Mexico
Chow

Charlie, if you want we can do a batch of hot potato salad for Saturday, just let us know. Also the oven will be available for baking potatoes. Assuming I can find some at Sam's, I will also do a batch of hot smoked salmon to go with wine and whatever.

Howard

The coordinates are loaded in the GPS and we are champing at the bit to go. Should be in Friday mid-dayish.

TAC NM-1
Four Corners Unit Treasurer
WBCCI 5279, AIR #24915
KF5RGU
Howard E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:04 PM   #79
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard E View Post
Charlie, if you want we can do a batch of hot potato salad for Saturday, just let us know. Also the oven will be available for baking potatoes. Assuming I can find some at Sam's, I will also do a batch of hot smoked salmon to go with wine and whatever.

Howard

The coordinates are loaded in the GPS and we are champing at the bit to go. Should be in Friday mid-dayish.

That sounds good to me Howard.

Charlie
Old 06-17-2008, 08:00 AM   #80
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Charlie I can help with the potatoes too and will bring angle food cake with fruit and Rita will bring a tossed salad. If you need anything else just ask. Lou
Old 06-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Food and pass report

We'll bring a pasta salad (it's a salad, a side dish and even a main dish!), a blueberry based desert, and some wine.

We have a fold up camping table, chairs.

I'm kind of up for Mosquito Passó13,188'. It might well be snow covered or just too muddy, but maybe not. The road goes through California Gulch where most of mining took place. The views from the top are spectacular. The other side ends up near Alma and Fairplay. A circle trip returns via Weston Pass, a much easier roadó11,921 and 4wd not necessary. An alternative is Hagerman Pass (11,960' and some 4wd) to the west. Everywhere are old mines, Hagerman was long ago replaced by a now long gone railroad that went through a now collapsed tunnel, but also has spectacular views. I've always traveled these roads with small pickups or medium sized SUV's, but I think large pickups could probably do ok. I'll have to check with the FS about road conditions.

Gene
Old 06-17-2008, 12:44 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Boondocking Rallies live on!

Hey Charlie and all,
Great job on planning this rally and being flexible about the location.
Here is a link to a map of the FCU rallies;
Google Maps

I think I have correctly updated the location for this rally.

I am reading this thread on my laptop as we are boondocking in NW NM at the moment. The picture attached is Carol's 1961 International that I polished last year. The ridge in the background is the Continental Divide. Click picture to see a larger image.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 4.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	62491  
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25 View Post
we are boondocking in NW NM at the moment. The picture attached is Carol's 1961 International that I polished last year.

Jerry
Shiney! I wish the newer ones would shine up like that.

If you're boondocking, where does the hose go? Home to Albuquerque (I couldn't resist)?

Gene
Old 06-17-2008, 08:11 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Semi boondocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Shiney! I wish the newer ones would shine up like that.

If you're boondocking, where does the hose go? Home to Albuquerque (I couldn't resist)?

Gene
Gene,
We bought a parcel of mountain land and have a connection to the water co-op. So, I should qualify my earlier comment to say "semi boondocking".

AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote