Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2008, 07:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Charlie.....please mark me down.....I am not yet sure if I will have my water tank up and working by then and would need to decide if I haul water up in something else. Unless there are spigots up that way to fill jugs.

In any event.....I could use a break by then.

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #22
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
the primary issue with sleeping at that altitude is alcohol is usually not recommended.

so how close is the nearest 5,000 ft valley?

cheers
2air'
You just don't have to drink as much.

It looks like we have to be a member of FCU to come to the rally. Do we have to join WBCCI also (yes, I'm cheap)?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:45 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
That sounds great I look forward to meeting you there. I think the nearest place to get water would be about 2 miles away at the top of the Vail Pass if you had to use water jugs. I'd recommend to anyone coming to have a full tank if you can or fill your tanks in either Frisco or Edwards on your way up depending on which way you're coming from. I've also had 2 others PM me who said they want to come so with you that makes 6 of us now and a maybe with 2air. If everyone who is coming could please click on the link to sign up I'd appreciate it. http://www.airforums.com/forums/cale...&day=2008-6-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman
Charlie.....please mark me down.....I am not yet sure if I will have my water tank up and working by then and would need to decide if I haul water up in something else. Unless there are spigots up that way to fill jugs.

In any event.....I could use a break by then.

Thanks!
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:21 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Charlie....I am a member of the Denver unit. Do I need to join the FCU also to come to this rally?

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2008, 10:40 AM   #25
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Barb and I will be there. We'll arrive Sat. morning (6/20) and stay until Monday morning. I'll even sign up in the right place.

Gene
Old 04-13-2008, 12:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Do I need to join the FCU?

centennialman,
The rally is open to any WBCCI member.

Quote:
Charlie....I am a member of the Denver unit. Do I need to join the FCU also to come to this rally?

Thanks!
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:17 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Woo hoo!!!!! Count me in!!
Old 04-15-2008, 11:04 AM   #28
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
A few more things. Shrine Pass Rd. goes west from Vail Pass to Red Cliff on US 24, about 5 miles south of Minturn and a few more north to I 70 (I was wrong when I wrote it went to Minturn).

After the rally for those going west there's a state welcome center just south of I 70 at Edwards. It has a free dump station.

I suppose there's a slight chance we would get there Friday evening, but it could be as late as 10, so we'll figure it out later.

We're looking forward to this.

Gene
Old 04-15-2008, 06:41 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
That would be the perfect spot for anyone coming from the west if they wanted to fill up with water, and also to dump afterwords. It's approx. 25 miles to the area we'll be camping at. For those coming from the east I'm sure you could find water in Frisco at most fuel stations we have great water up here. We may also be able to get water at the visitor center at the top of the Vail pass, but I'll have to check on that to be certain. The only dump eastbound is somewhat out of the way unless someone was coming from Colorado Springs via the Hoosier pass. There is a dump at the corner of hwy 9 and Swan mountain road about 6 miles prior to Breckenridge.
Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
A few more things. Shrine Pass Rd. goes west from Vail Pass to Red Cliff on US 24, about 5 miles south of Minturn and a few more north to I 70 (I was wrong when I wrote it went to Minturn).

After the rally for those going west there's a state welcome center just south of I 70 at Edwards. It has a free dump station.

I suppose there's a slight chance we would get there Friday evening, but it could be as late as 10, so we'll figure it out later.

We're looking forward to this.

Gene
Old 04-22-2008, 10:15 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
I've had one other couple from southern Colorado e-mail me who plans on coming to the rally. That puts us currently at 7, but only 4 on the sign up page right now. I stopped by the Shrine pass entrance at the top of the Vail pass this week but it was still closed. Snow at 9,000' is almost all gone, but at 11k where the pass is I'd estimate around 2-3 feet still. I don't think this is a concern at this point, it's amazing how fast the snow will go away with just a couple of warm days. My guess is the pass will open any day now.
I just picked the airstream up tonight from RV interiors in Denver. We had new curtains, and a counter top installed along with a couple of other minor things. They did a fantastic job. The curtains are of much better quality then what airstream offers and at a lower price. We're taking off for Utah to Bryce, Capitol Reef, Zion, and Arches this Thurs. the 24th., so I"ll have no access to a computer until the 8th. of May. Jerry if you would help with any questions during this time I'd appreciate it. I have to ask Jerry for all the answers anyway.
Charlie
Old 04-23-2008, 04:59 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Hey Charlie......have a great trip! That part of Utah is my favorite!!

Old 05-02-2008, 12:16 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Time to start thinking about the cool high mtns.

The weather is warming up and it is time to start thinking about the cool high mountain escapes. The FCU will have at least 2 of these types of boondocking rallies in 2008, this one in June and another over the July 4th weekend.

By the way, no need to be without the Internet while traveling. Essentially all public libraries offer PCs with Internet for free. Many library parking lots are large enough to accomodate an Airstream. If you have a laptop then WiFi or cellular networks become other options. I have had good luck using my cell phone as modem with an external antenna on the roof of the Airstream. You can install the cellular antenna while you are up there screwing on the solar panel to be ready for boondocking.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:52 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
I just returned tonight. We had a great time in Utah. Bryce was fun but a little cool this early in the year. We loved Capitol reef, great campground with water and a dump station for only $10 per night but Arches will remain our favorite in the area.
I try to avoid internet service when I'm on vacation and love it when I get no cell phone signal. I've thought about a laptop but then I'd just work so I've resisted the temptation.
When I checked the pass was still closed but it looks like it could be plowed any day. I'll keep everyone posted on this.
Charlie
Old 05-10-2008, 09:11 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Charlie,

I am thinking of driving up there in a couple of weeks to check things out. Any idea where we will be camping?
Old 05-10-2008, 07:09 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Charlie,

I am thinking of driving up there in a couple of weeks to check things out. Any idea where we will be camping?
I went through the pass last year while I was looking for ideas, and I spoke with the Ranger district about 2 areas, but the land on each side of the pass from the entrance off I70 is o.k. for boon docking. The first area is approx. 2 miles in and is near the trail head to the nature walk which is marked. A very open flat area. The second area is past this on a curve. As soon as you enter the curve look to the left and you'll see a flat open area next to the remains of some old mining camp cabins. I think I may prefer this area but it depends on how many airstreams we have as it is a little smaller. Right now the pass is still closed so I haven't been able to look into it better. We had a heavy snow today, but that should melt off quickly if we can just string a few nice days together. I would hope the pass would be open within a week or so.
Charlie
Old 05-10-2008, 09:05 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Sounds good Charlie! Thanks for the update.....I will keep watching for updates
Old 06-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Sorry that it's been a while since I've updated anyone on this rally, but I've been waiting for the chance to go through the pass to check things out. I had to drive by the area today so I got off at the top of the Vail pass to see how things have changed since last week. It doesn't look like CDOT is going to plow the pass, but rather just wait until it's fully melted off. Right now the pass is melted off at the entrance, and the roads to the 2 small lakes are both fully open. I was tempted to drive back, but I was in my 2 wheel drive truck and thought it might be wiser to wait until I'm in my Durango which I should be able to do this coming Thursday. The temps at 11,000' have been as warm as the low 70's over the past several days. As this continues I wouldn't anticipate any snow at all by June 20th. I have no real concerns of the pass not being open in time for the Rally. Things should be warm enough and dry. The forest service calls for wild flowers to be at their peak on the Shrine Pass in the first, or second week of July, so we'll miss the peak week, but should still have some very nice foliage to go with the views.
It's nice to see that we now have 5 signed up on the rally page, myself, bolou97, centennialman, CrawfordGene, and Howard E.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/cale...&day=2008-6-20
I've also been contacted by 2 other Airstreamers who say they plan to attend. Space is not a problem if anyone would like to join us.

Charlie
Old 06-02-2008, 05:41 PM   #38
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I have been poking around southern Colorado the last couple weeks, most the snow is gone and the creeks are up. Nights are still cold but the days are warm, although I have to admit I have been a bit wary of camping on some of the passes like Slumgulion and Lizard head because of the weather, maybe in the next week or so........

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Chelsea , Michigan
Sounds like a great getaway. This Michigander will be with you in spirit. I spent summers working in Glenwood Springs 20 years ago and especially miss the Best, West slope this time of year. Have one for me!
GlobeTrottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:40 PM   #40
_

. , .
still looks like a great spot for a gathering!

now, for those very familiar with this area...

i'm looking for a campground within 60 miles or so any direction from this event...

hook ups would be nice, rv park, resort or fed/state facility...

and this would be a for a few days right after the rally, but checking out before the 7/4 weekend mayhem...

thanks for any suggestions

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote