Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2003, 03:55 PM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Region 9 Rally - Harlingen

I returned Sunday from Harlingen (an easy 309 miles) after 7 nights in the trailer.

Our unit caravanned to the rally since there is little space to queue up for parking spots and we wanted to be parked together. We stopped the first night at Riviera, about 80 miles away, and we would have hit our scheduled parking time within 6 minutes. Unfortunately, the caravan leader took a wrong turn and led half the 18 units into the boondocks. Only the last few of the string got to the park on time. I was near the tail end, and hit the parking time on the nose.

The week was full with bus tours on three days. The best tours were Padre Island and Progresso, Mexico. The 3rd tour, 25 miles into Mexico didn't go off nearly as well, although we had a great lunch in Hermosillo.

Our cat won a blue ribbon at the pet show. There was good entertainment 4 nights, 3 good dinners, and 3 good breakfasts.

One thing I enjoyed was the open house thrown by the four vintage trailers. I had seen Bud Coopers 1948 before; the other 3 were new to me (photo).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vintage 1.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	1967  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 04:00 PM   #2
Contributing Member

More

Note the flamingos in the above photo. That trailer was surrounded with pink flamingos and had the woodwork inside painted pink as well.

During our trip to Padre Island, we went out on a dolphin-watching cruise after a great fish fry on the beach. The photo is of my wife (left) and another forum member, CESURMAN, at the fish fry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fish fry on beach.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	1968  
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-18-2003, 04:02 PM   #3
Contributing Member

Fish fry

Beaches would not be beaches without gulls. Our meals came with several slices of bread which some of us contributed to the gulls. This is one of our unit members, Ginger Fischio, feeding the gulls.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fish fry ii.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	1969  
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-18-2003, 04:07 PM   #4
Contributing Member

One more

My wife, myself, and Judy Hazen, our unit President on the Intercoastal Waterway near Port Isabel, Padre Island. We saw a lot of dolphins on the trip.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kay, john, judy.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	1970  
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-18-2003, 05:50 PM   #5
Contributing Member

Turtle Rescue

The Padre Island tour stopped at the "Turtle Lady" rescue place in Port Isabel for a short lecture and to see 5 different types of sea turtles. They have a number of injured turtles in tanks, some to be returned to the wild, and some with permanent disabilities. They even had one in intensive care.

Here is a beauty who lost her front left flipper.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sea turtle.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	1971  
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-19-2003, 07:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Padre Island

Nice pictures John! I grew up fishing on the Intercoastal Canal and surf fishing on Padre Island. I also caught many a "speckled trout" off Bob Hall pier when they ran under the lights. I've also had a few "thieving" seagulls steal a hotdog right out of my hand when a youngster. Those sure were the good ole' days.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 09:46 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

First time at an Airstream Rally - Region 9, Harlingen, TX.

We’ve been to many RV Rallies --- Bus Nuts, Escapees, and Family Motor coach -- but this was the first time to attend an Airstream Rally, and we were not sure what to expect.

All other rallies that we have attended had MANY seminars - so many that my wife would go to one while I attended one at the same time and later that eve we would compare notes!! Very busy with great seminars. Safety - electrical - propane - towing - vendor seminars - Diesel engine - generator service - transmissions - and my all-time favorite “You’re broken down on the side of the road: now what do you do?” conducted by an Indiana Highway Patrol Officer! This one should be mandatory at any rally!

What we found at the Region 9 Rally was very few, if any, meaningful seminars. This was our first rally, our first night in our Airstream and of all seminars they cancelled the “First Timers” seminar. Go figure.

The seminars they did have were not really attended by many folks as most of the attendees were out all day on bus tours! They filled up 4 busses 3 days running for various tours - - - I wonder if the folks putting on some of the seminars were told how many people would attend the Rally vs. how many would attend seminars?

Also there is a minimum of young folks at this rally - maybe a grandkid or two. The swimming pool at the park kept them busy, I’m sure.

Now what did we like about the rally? The chance to meet other Airstream folks -- plus obtain help with our trailer (I purchased all new sewer hose, but failed to know Airstream has “other” fitting - and so we learn!!). Also learned just how small holding tanks in trailers are - we are spoiled by 100 gallon tanks in our bus conversion <G>.. The eve meals - breakfast - and great entertainment in the eve. Folks did their homework and booked some really fine entertainment.

Just my $.02 for what it is worth.

Don (& the Orange Monster)
Old 04-24-2003, 03:57 PM   #8
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
I am sure they kept some great people away from the rally, by insisting (Region 9 policy) to charge the full rally fee of $160.- for people who only could attend the weekend.
Too Bad!
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 04:03 PM   #9
Contributing Member

$160 fee

There were some heated arguments about that. One of our unit members got in trouble with the "brass" for protesting them having charged another of our unit members who came late the full fee.

I think everyone whould write WBCCI and protest. This drives away the younger m,embers that they are supposedly trying to attract.

Our unit prorates everything.
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-24-2003, 04:10 PM   #10
Contributing Member

Seminars

Quote:
All other rallies that we have attended had MANY seminars
OTOH, I don't go to rallys to attend seminars. I'm sorry that I missed the Airstream rep (I was on a tour), but, other than that, I can't think of any seminar that I longed to go to. We went on all three tours.

In fact, we chose, along with another new couple, to go to the zoo in Brownsville instead of coming back for the "first timers" seminar. I can't think of anything of anything that I could not learn as easily by simply read the paperwork.
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-24-2003, 04:14 PM   #11
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Re: $160 fee

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahaska
.... got in trouble with the "brass" ............
Basically the response I received from the "brass" was:
>>>>in answer to your question, it has been a Region 9 policy that everyone attending the Rally, regardless of the time they are on the rally site, is required to pay the full rally fee.<<<<
AND
>>>If anyone wants a shorter rally, they can leave<<<
By that time, we lost interest.
PeterH-79MH and Catstream
Members at Large
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote